Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Goodbye 2018, out with the old in with the new interior

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Sweet...passed on many a car/truck that had a cut dash before I knew how to weld.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. atch

atch

I've never had heated seats, but have ridden in several. That's why Clarence's new interior (to be finished before springtime driving weather) will include heated seats. Also VA heat/defrost/air, which has already been installed. This is the third rebuild in the 45 years I've owned him and it'll be the last in my lifetime. Sherry and the kids can have him when I go to see Him. I highly recommend you install them also. The A/C ain't cheap, but the heated seats are. I've been on many a cold weather run/drive dressed in all my motorcycle get-up; including chaps, electric socks, and many layers of clothes. I don't plan to ever have to do that again in Clarence. I've also carried a spray bottle of water to help cool down on hot days. Don't plan to ever have to do that again either.

So this is both an answer to the original question and a recommendation to HRP.

So far this fall Clarence has gotten all new floors, new brake pedal/mc, tunneled '50 Pontiac taillights, new steering column, new seats, new window channels, relocated and Frenched license plate holder, new headers/exhaust, new fuel tank, new SW wings gauges, new fiberglass front fenders, cruise control, solenoid door poppers, electric windows, total rewire, and who knows what else I just can't remember right now.

It's currently getting body work and Ford Washington Blue paint. Upholstery and new glass will be installed when paint is done. When I get him back I'll order new 5-spoke Americans, tires, and a new steering wheel.

The last rebuild three years ago was totally mechanical:
    • new crate 350
    • new Portel aluminum radiator (you Midwest guys will recognize the Portel name)
    • rebuild T350
    • rebuild 8" rear, including pumpkin, all brake springs, and misc. brake parts; disassembled down to bare housing and painted
    • refurbished (disassembled, cleaned up, painted, new bushings, etc) and lowered rear parallel leaf springs
    • 4 new ball joints in the Aspen/Volare (installed 28 years ago when that was a hot setup; if I were to do it today I'd rebuild the axle with new tie rod ends, kingpins, refurbished parallel leafs, etc.)
    • and some other stuff I've already forgotten
    The rebuild in '91 included installation of:
    • 283 (came from a '66 Impala that my grandmother bought new shortly after my grandfather died)
    • T350
    • Mustang 8"
    • GM tilt steering column
    • GM bucket seats
    • Aspen/Volare front suspension
    • '57 Ford driveshaft
    • 4.5" bolt pattern wheels
    • and some more stuff that I've forgotten
    • note: the above was done entirely with boneyard parts on the (very very very) cheap
    • and the top got chopped 5"
    The current work is being done correctly, but not indoor show circuit quality. We plan to drive the wheels off if it in the next several years. We had a trailer hitch installed behind the fold-down license plate so we can pull a teardrop camper, a canned ham trailer, or a bike trailer with the H-D on it. If we go half of the planned places/trips we'll be putting on at least 10K miles per year, probably more.

See ya on the road.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  3. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Time to take care of a couple small issues on my roadster for another year of carefree cruising. AND make some real progress on the two neglected projects out in the shop, oh and put up the 6 pack of 4' LED shop lights my kids got me for Christmas to replace the burnt out ones out there now. Let's not talk about house projects.

Lee

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Hope to get a ride this year.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. HRP,..can't believe you've owned that 32 that long and never hung a heater in it,...too busy drivin I spose. just how cold (cool) does it get in your neck of the woods.?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. I've threatened to install a heater I purchased years ago but for one reason or another I procrastinated and then the weather was nice and I didn't need it,then other projects got in the way, with the car sitting and waiting for the interior the time is right to address some of the things I have neglected, the VA heat & air will be nice, repairing the passenger window to roll up & down without binding, and a few more odds & ends.

It's rare when the temperatures dip in the teens but 20's & 30's are normal after sundown, In this area we have some nice days during the winter when it gets in the 50's, getting all the pneumonia holes sealed and a interior will help immensely, hopefully the days of long johns, gloves , heavy coats and watch caps will be a thing of the past. HRP

8. Latigo

Latigo

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well geesh how will we recognize you?! Lol

My plan for this year? Working on the same never ending list that “I’m gonna get done by spring”

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. X-cpe

X-cpe

It seems every project has a list of "but befores".

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. atch

atch

Well, I realize that there are usually 50 - 60 F-1 panel trucks at most rod runs, but just look for the dark blue one.

Grandadeo, Tim and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Hey HRP I'm a little embarrassed now..Your TJ blankets are way cleaner than mine:oops: But I do have a heater and was really glad this morning as when I walked out the the front door at 5:20 it was 36 friggin degrees at my house in sunny San Diego...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@atch the smell of new paint will lead us to you! Looking forward to seeing it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. I didn't think it ever rained or got cold in California, so much for the myth. :rolleyes:

I will admit the blanket you see in the photo is not the original, I am on my second set, front & rear. :DHRP

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    lumpy 63 likes this.
  15. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Out with old, in with new, huh, couldn't even get that part right in 2018. Pulled the new 464 Buick out of my stude after cracking #2 cyl. (Thinking it happened on the dyno, but hey it made 703 hp....) Pulled head's and intake off the new motor, bolted them on the 21yr. old used and abused stock 430 short block with a little 490 lift lunati cam, stuck it back in the stude, wound up with a 1050 dominator carb on it and proceeded to run some 11.30's at 116 mph on 93 octane from the local shell station. Back to the drawing board with the 464......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. spanners

spanners

No, it will like in Karate Kid. "Wax on, wax off" as he polishes it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. atch

atch

You know; it's been well over 40 years since I waxed a car. With this paint (Washington blue; single stage; no metallic; no clear coat) I guess I'll have to relearn and get back into it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. With Dave working a lot of overtime at his day job work secession's in the shop are not every night like they use to.

Basically Saturday afternoons and some Sunday work but hopefully we will start installing the Dynamat this weekend. HRP

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Nostrebor likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

one way to blow it all apart

Petejoe likes this.
  20. That damn spell check thinks I'm gonna blow the car up! :eek:

Thanks for the heads up. HRP

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  21. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Been busting it all winter trying to get mine back on the road. I'm not thinking an interior will make the mix this season, but soon baby. Soon.

Here's a pic of my boy after a bit of thrashing last weekend. We are on the "blow it back apart to finalize" stage. Dont be the boy.jpg

23. Dynamat

[​IMG]

Dynamite. HRP

[​IMG]

Two entirely different items. HRP

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Patiently waiting for photo evidence. :D

Nostrebor and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am a little late to the party answering back but I am lousy with names until it gets beat in me :D I am good remembering the first letter than it all goes to south from there. So , I figure close enough works in horseshoes ,hand grenades and peoples names. :oops:

26. the flatlander

the flatlander

Wuuuss ! a nice interior ? come on, who needs it.... …..p/s, can he finish mine ? shhhhh :)

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Takes one to know one ;) :D

28. the flatlander

the flatlander