Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What's this field car 1938 willys 3 window worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi4speed, Dec 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hemi4speed

hemi4speed

Hi all I've been approached to place a bid on this 1938 willys car and I'm now not sure what to pay.a guy is buying it then brokering it to me.whats fair?as you can see it's pretty rough and hit hard the roofs bent.
    tapatalk_1546145464454.jpeg tapatalk_1546145466816.jpeg tapatalk_1546145469054.jpeg tapatalk_1546145479795.jpeg

Car chaser

2. Deuces

Deuces

'37 Willys????.......

3. hemi4speed

hemi4speed

car chaser.

4. scotts52

scotts52

Wow! I wouldn't have guessed there were any field find Willy's coupes left

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Pop the hood, if it still has the original blown Hemi expect to pay a little more......................................

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Probably only what I'm willing to pay.

Deuces likes this.
  7. Flogknaw

Flogknaw
    from Texas

Sheesh

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  8. F&J

F&J

It's impossible to guess what it could sell for with just those few pics. It does seem to be "fairly rot free" compared to most field finds across the USA. The roof is not that bad, but the door being sprung up could hint to more of a problem.

Fairly rot free means it might not need major floor and sill work. If it does need that, then that really lowers the bids.

If it's in outback Canada it won't bring as much as if it was in the US...that's just marketing and border issues that affect the real "maximum" bidding/selling price.

Without knowing important details above, I'd say it's worth at least 2500 in my area where project prices are very soft, ....but IMO, it's not going to bring 10K if he listed on ebay. What is it worth to you?, that is what is important. If you always wanted a Willys coupe that's not a gutted,hacked up old race car, why worry about if you paid too much to make us comfortable?

9. ......but it looks like the O.E.M. Olds/Point rear & B&M Hydro are missing.

I think you best bet is to make a bid based on someone using it as a Race (drag) car body not a street car.

Remember the nose on this body style is not very popular, and will likely be replaced with a glass nose.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    slowmotion likes this.
  10. Well at least they raised it out of the mud and put it on fresh wooden blocks before the ground freezes up . Can see the imprint of the front fenders in the mud plus the telltale 6 inch brown lower body edge.

loudbang likes this.
  11. chiro

chiro

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"A whole bunch, and that's just a rough estimate."

Rich S. and loudbang like this.
  13. oldolds

oldolds

There was the same question asked about this car recently. The car was still on the ground at that time.

kidcampbell71 and X38 like this.
  14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Whats the story? Dont have to reveal the location. Only knowing that they seem to be highly desirable makes me wander how it got in a location where no one had a clue?

15. exterminator

exterminator

16. ...is it April 1rst ?

stillrunners likes this.
  17. phat rat

phat rat

It was on Craigslist and a couple other sites for 11K

Attached Files:

stillrunners, X38 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Member since yesterday. Intro maybe? Hi my name is Ed and I'm trying to get you all worked up over this Willys coupe and I'm sure a sale is immenent. Oh look a PM now. :D

alanp561, stillrunners, X38 and 5 others like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's value to any particular buyer with be determined by where they are on the scale of 'practical thinker' to the opposite end of the spectrum 'totally ruled by emotion'...........and further tempered by their pocketbook.....where are you on that scale?

Nitroholic, i.rant and lippy like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

One of the cardinal rules I try to live by is "never price another mans inventory" . If at all possible get him to put a number on it and let the negotiating start from there

21. Can it be taken legally from the field?

22. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thats in great shape, I'd say north of 20gs.

Pat

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's worth is what some one is willing to buy it for and what some one is willing to sell it for...…. at that moment.
    That's it.

Frankly your purchase picture is clear as mud.
    You've been approached to bid on this, then a guy is buying it and then brokering it to you.

Sounds like a scam to me.

Who is the seller ?
    More importantly - WHO is THE owner ?
    Maybe the OWNER doesn't even know that his Willys is on a Auction sight at all, and his WILLYS is being used to scam YOU out of money.

I wouldn't be surprised if the picture you have been painted with is the guy who owns it - is actually the guy who approached you to bid on it to buy it.
    Send him the money, as you are buying it - then brokers it back to you ? - only to find out the guy who approached to broker it to you, doesn't own it all and uses you to scam you out of money.

Seriously - What's in it for you 3 post new guy ??????????????

Or, are you using his money ?
    Why doesn't he bid on it ?
    Like I said clear as mud.

In car terms...
    Who,Owner, Seller, Buyer, Broker ???

24. adam401

adam401

I would build that as a chopped custom. Can't let the racecar guys have all the fun. Ill give you 4g. Pm me.

25. Location, location, location. Its worth more in some places than it is in others. Upper Saskatchewan will be cheaper than down town Los Angeles.

VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree with CornCob, "a guy is buying it then brokering it to you". Unless his name is Wayne Carini, this has scam written all over it.

Go see the car in person, let the seller start with the first price offer, then go from there.
    It's worth a lot. Price a fiberglass Willys body, then double or triple that for starters.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I don’t sell anything to myself, make him put a number on it,then take it from there.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. slowmotion

slowmotion

Steel Willys coupes are still way up on the desirable list. $2500? yea right....:rolleyes:
    The right people will pay a pretty penny for that steel, complete, shell. Even with the metal work involved to make it right. And I doubt they'd be very hard to find. Don't let some low-baller bullshit you...
    There's guys here who could whip that thing in shape in pretty short order. I wouldn't put a number on it, but if I did offer $2500 I'd expect to be shown the door. Hopefully without a kick in the nut-sack first.
    And others may be right, might just be a new-guy's poor attempt at a scam-a-rooney..:eek:

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

What would it cost to take a truck & trailer to the middle of Nowere and try to work a deal? Cash, friends, and protection, along with ramps & tie downs. Bob

Boneyard51 and Hnstray like this.
  30. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

It's worth nothin' Send me the coordinates and i'll remove that blighted vehical!

The37Kid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.