Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody else make presents from junk?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by anthony myrick, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Made this for the wife
    A $5 thrift store bed frame, crate wood and leftover metal from a build
    5D1C0D25-3A81-4EC7-BB8F-925E36CF8D54.jpeg

This was some junk sewing machine legs and a scrap piece of marble
    5C48E015-3895-4A34-A38D-CA7B6584629F.jpeg

2. I think the dog is laying claim to the new bench.:D

Okie Pete and anthony myrick like this.
  3. Wonder how many other car guys with shops get “ pentrested”?

4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1330.JPG IMG_1329.JPG I just finished this one and delivered it today . It was a house warming gift to a Nurse my Wife works with . She and her Husband bought a house .

6. My son [45] had an O/T 4 cylinder turbo mopar in the late 8os and he bought a "purple shaft" cam for it. It went flat and he tossed it in the trash. I retrieved it and I've always been planning to make a lamp out of it. I may get around to it some day.

7. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

if you're lookin' for junk to get started.....

Attached Files:

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I must have ten or fifteen lamp projects I didn't know about!

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I made presents from scrap wood I had left over from jobs I did in the remodeling and building business.

I always loved free hand lettering and pinstriping so one Christmas I made a few "Welcome to my Garden" signs for gifts to friends. I also used to do wood carvings in flat pieces of sugar pine of New England barns and homes and I gave them to friends to hang on walls.
    Once I carved the New England scenes I would then apply different colors of wood stains over the surface and it would give each one a very interesting look.

One person saw them hanging on a wall in a restaurant and asked where they purchased them and then called me and asked how many different styles I had made and then they ordered about five of each style which was my very first order for about 30 wood carvings. They also ordered the "Welcome to my Garden" signs.

I supplied just two stores with these signs for about seven years and they were calling every few weeks to reorder with me.
    For me this was just a hobby when I was not doing the remodeling and building new homes for clients.
    People always seem to like hand made things better then store bought things.
    I still have about ten old signs left from back in the 70's that I did not want to sell.

Just a hobby but it sure was fun and a great way to use up wood from my molding and old wood racks.
    With the high costs of finish lumber and exotic woods I never through the scarps away!

Jimbo

anthony myrick and woodsnwater like this.
  10. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

One of my favorite things to do is make neat stuff out of unique items!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I'll have to get some new pictures, I've made a garden bench from an old tailgate,torque tubes,springs, I beam axles. A sign at the end of our driveway from old tools. Plant hanger from an old backing plate, I beam axle end and tie rod.
    Might as well use the old junk.

12. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

[​IMG]

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Because I grew up in a different era I have always saved things so I guess today that's what they call being a hoarder.

I started buying cars magazines around 1957 at age 10 and still have all of them because I find looking at them reminds of the old day's and that for me brings back wonderful memories.

I have always been in the building and remodeling business and from all the homes and remodeling projects I have there was always material left over and it used to drive me a little crazy when my guys would through away the extra lumber or trim.
    If I ever saw one of the guys standing on a piece of hardwood or softwood trim I would ask him if he knew the cost of the material he was standing on.

Everything that was left at the end of a project game back to the shop and was put on molding racks and shelves.
    For me it saved countless trips to the lumber yard or the mill for a piece of material for a project.

These day's with trim costing more money then ever before I just always thought it was so waste full to through it in a dumpster!
    Jimbo

14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I am the same way with materials, recent example. They wanted 5 grand to insulate my shop, so I put up an ad looking for insulation. I have 1/4 of the shop left to do and that’s the drop ceiling. I have about 100$ into it.