Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gifts for the next owner??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Dec 24, 2018.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I read the post about the button under the gas pedal.Thought heck someone could have just done that as a joke. Got me to wandering. Have any of you left notes/signed and dated a part or place, Put a button that does nothing for the next owner to find in 50 years. I know how cool it is to find a door panel, or note in the car, signed, from days gone by??
    If there already is a thread like this delete this one. Merry Christmas, Santa

Al's.C.D.T, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  2. oj

oj

Not widely known but a practice to promote is to stick the wireing schematic up where the next owner will find it when he would be troubleshooting a problem. He'll call you a saint.

patmanta, loudbang, adam401 and 4 others like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

In my A, I have found two different names on things, thought that was pretty cool. At my last job, any of my special projects had a name and a date put in an inconspicuous place.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

There's still some newspaper stuck to the back of my bumpers from the last time they went to the chrome shop in the early 70's, if that counts ..

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and catdad49 like this.

5. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I found a car wash token from Salt Lake City in one of my 40 Ford coupes in 1971. The car was owned by an Airman who was stationed on Arnold AFB in Tullahoma Tn. I lived in Tn. at the time . Still have that token somewhere in my junk. . Merry Christmas B. A. !! Later Bill

6. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

In the 40+ years of doing this I've never found any hint from previous owners.
    However, in the Home Remodeling business I've come across many notes and signatures. It's always exciting, and puts in perspective the impact we all have on everything we do. To date, the oldest signature I can recall on house framing was from the late 1800s!

bct, loudbang, belair and 3 others like this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I worked for 33 years at the Muskogee Fire Dept and as most of you know Fire Depts ate steeped in tradition. On any project I did I would put my name and date in an inconspicuous spot, either by paint, stencil, welding or paper, to be discovered by a Firefighter sometime in the future. Hope it puts a smile on someone’s face, even when I’m in the ground.

Bones

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I sold my 51 merc and it went to New Zealand, I put a magnet of the Black Hills of S.D. and a note of the history of the car under the dash

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This magazine was in the glove box of my 40 when I bought it in 1963.
    I still keep it there for the next owner along with a letter and history of the car.
    I also signed my name on the bottom side of the glove box liner.

Attached Files:

i.rant, loudbang, blowby and 4 others like this.
  10. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

The last time I re-wired my Dad's '40, I had him and I sign and date the back of the fuse panel.

11. BJR

BJR

Back in the 90's I bought a NOS muffler made in the 1930's for a 1932 Hupmobile I had. It had a hand written note inside the box that said "Made By" with the guy's name on it.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Found a 1946 dime under the front seat of my 46 Olds and a similar old crumbly 1950 and fragile receipt written in pencil in the glove box

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Found admission reciept for Graceland in my 47 Ford convertible.

loudbang, blowby and catdad49 like this.
  14. vinfab

vinfab

I have not sold any cars purchased since 1974 (excluding daily drivers) and my son will inherit them so I know the next owner. In another life, I was a custom home builder. Every home I built, I signed and dated at the highest point on the house on the underside protected from the weather.

Shutter Speed, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  15. Left some newspaper,wire mesh and a few socks,a stuffed animal along with a couple of gallons of bondo for the next owner to find

16. Found on the firewall of a jag at work years ago, after pulling the dash and heater box out. Written on the firewall in marker or spray paint “ hello you damn Yankees!”
    Guessing the thought this would never be seen.

Found change, tools, generic stuff in cars I’ve bought. Nothing personal.

Doing home Reno’s I’ve found signatures on stuff, pictures behind baseboards letters etc old toys, tools, lots of old girlie mags in the ceiling tiles and hiding spots in basements !

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a condom and a old fashioned pair of women's panties behind the back seat of a car year's ago. I remember being REAL glad I had vinyl gloves on when I found them. Guess things don't change all theat much......

18. I usually hide about a thousand dollars in hundreds scattered throughout the cars that I sell. Just keep that in mind if I put up any cars for sell in the classifieds.....:rolleyes:

19. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the last few years I sold both a Vette and a chopped 49 Ford. I am a little OCD so as I spent money/time on either of the cars I kept all the paper work/bills/manuals organised and when I sold them all of the info went with the car. All of the extra parts went with the cars also, I was glad to see both cars go. I've done the same on the two cars in the Avatar, I hope my wife gives all of the collected documentation to the new owner after I am gone:)

20. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've signed and dated the cars i'v built for others in closed areas, I got the idea from livening in a house built in the late 1890s for the last 30 years. The best I can tell my house was built from 1896 until 1898 judging by the dates on framing, finish work and the abstract.

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

My wife just gave me a boom box she found that had a note that said CD don't work but radio does.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, catdad49 and Bill Nabors like this.
  22. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I mostly hide rust for next owner to find some day.

23. 327Eric

327Eric

I sign my engines

belyea_david, VANDENPLAS and catdad49 like this.
  24. I had a POS OT pick up I bought new that was a lemon. Before I traded it in I stuffed the mountain of repair orders that I accumulated in the 8 months of owning it under the central console for the next owner to find.

alanp561, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  25. catdad49

catdad49

What a bunch of old softies with some comedians thrown in for good measure! Kind of off topic, but who cares.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I save the mouse droppings, old bondo, etc and put in a bag in car for new owner to know the nasty work that I saved him from - Ha!

loudbang likes this.
  27. 34Larry

34Larry

Yes. Stapled to the back of both door panels is the complete history of my car back to the mid 50's. Printed off the Kustomrama website. :):cool::D

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  28. mvweaver

mvweaver

I found a list of the normal maintenance parts and what vehicle parts were sourced in the glovebox of my late father-in-law’s 42 Ford pickup. I would have never guessed what the front spindles and rear were out of let alone some of the other stuff.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  29. Great idea to put a list of the modified parts with a car sale. How many times have we gotten a partially finished rod and have to guess at what parts were used for brakes, rear, suspension, etc.? One of my old cars had an unknown rearend under it so I changed it to something I knew and never figured out what the old one was until I had gotten rid of it.

30. This is a bit morbid but I've got a vile of Dads ashes to attach to the drivers seat springs of the 57 vette he bought in 1962, just so he can keep running around in it. I've also got the 62 title and receipt from when he bought it for $1995 i plan on stashing somewhere in the car.