Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. loudbang

loudbang

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

LB that is a great looking 57. Good to see an example with black walls and aftermarket wheels and the color is a refreshing change from red with white coves.

Loveoftiki the 61 above has the fuel injection emblems on the fender and it has a great stance and nice wheels. Cool car. As to your earlier post with the Seaport 62 that is when it was owned by Don Chapman out of Ontario Canada. I watched the car run at Milan a number of times when Ken Clark out of Ohio drove the car. Great running car. The picture you posted is Indy at the Nationals although not sure of the year. He probably had to go through Gianino's 57 which was not an easy task.

Here is a pic at Milan with Ken Clark yanking the wheels. Seaport 62 MD.jpg

Here is an ad for the car when Chapman owned the car.
    1234dc1.jpg

3. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim,
    2 of my favorite cars, 1967 chevelle and c1 corvette, but I am kinda bias about it.
    jp

Attached Files:

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mine too JP. I always wanted a 67 Chevelle but kept finding deals on 66 SS 396s (owned 3 of them). The cool deal that people may not appreciate so much today is that back when that 62 pulled the wheels there was no stickum whatsoever and to pull the wheels like that it was a bit "more special" in my book.

Bowtie Coupe, enloe, jammer and 2 others like this.
  5. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim,
    That's a great point about hooking up, much easier today.
    jp

loudbang likes this.
  6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Quick question regarding the term 'livery'.

Regarding automobiles; does livery denote the means of conveyance? (Truck, Trailer etc.)
    or
    A place that vehicles are kept and/or stored? (Garage, Warehouse etc.)

I see the word occasionally here and elsewhere but dictionary definitions I have seen do not address the meaning in this context.

loudbang likes this.
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bruce the term livery in the way that I have used it and heard it used in relation to race cars is the paint scheme and look of the car as it raced in a particular race or year etc. The old English I believe used the term livery to describe how the servants dressed during their working hours. I guess some car people maybe have stolen the term to describe the "uniform" in a sense of a race car. My best guess I suppose.

Kerry nice car by the way-must have been fun. I had a few C3s and always had fun with them. I had a guy when I had my shop in California bug me to buy this Greenwood kit he bought but never installed before he sold his C3. He wanted $3000 for what was worth a lot more in his opinion. I forgot exactly what I paid him but it was not much. Some was Greenwood and some other stuff was equally as nice. He had new a-arms and sway bars and rear spring and other related stuff. For kicks I installed it on a 74, I had and I have to admit it made the car handle very well. I lived on West Lilac (may have heard of the street as last year they had the Lilac fire in California where quite a few horses perished) and it was a winding road where you could really put the car through it's paces. Early Sunday morning on my way to church in Valley Center I could pretend I was on a race course and have a bunch of fun. The C3s did quite well if set up properly.

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and 1934coupe like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've mostly seen the term used when referring to race cars and their current visual appearance or as it was at various stages of its involvement in racing, and not just strictly color but the overall appearance, many times it is the way a sponsor/brand is identified.
    Could also be a combination of components or setup specific to the class it competes in.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Or......what Jim said^^^^^^^:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I went through and cleaned this up... The year cut off for the Hamb is 1965. that means no third generation corvettes are allowed....

porkshop likes this.
  12. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Took it to Customs unlimited of Ohio for some 60's style Candy paint, Lace, Scallops, Bubbles etc. Then comes the lettering and graphics. my vette 11.jpg

13. loudbang

loudbang

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

LB that 58 was on ebay a number of years ago but don't remember if it sold or for how much. I seem to remember that it was not an original racecar but a tribute to an era. Cool car that is probably a lot of fun. Personally I would rather drive that car than 99% of the restomods.

15. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Yeah it was a fun Car. nicknamed the "Mistress" [because she was high maintenance for the pleasure in return]
    It was FIA schedule K historic correct , weighed only 2574 lbs with a big block of a mere 612 hp
    I've had it over 170 mph on several occasions [not thinking about how old all the components were :D]

But lethal on cold tyres, which is best described as "running a steeplechase on an Ice skating rink"

Road racing is my poison as you might have guessed from my posts.

here's another couple to keep the thread going.
    Hard charging Jerry Thompson in his Corvette C2 # 61
    Hard charging Jerry Thompson in his Corvette C2 # 61...jpg

Hard charging Jerry Thompson in his Corvette C2 # 61.jpg

16. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I found this photo on my old computer and don't know anything about it.
    Obviously a C2 , but it is stretched like a Funny car

Anybody know????
    Vintage Corvette Funny.jpg

17. Deuces

Deuces

Love them long nose floppers..... :)

loudbang likes this.
  18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

RE Jerry Thompson photo:
    Just love the fit and finish on a real race car!

Kerrynzl and loudbang like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

I posted this one way back in Dec 12 2016 in this thread post 1924

[​IMG]

I THINK I have posted a few more of it without the name so it's hard to search. Maybe in the Corvette Gasser thread too.

Same Car ???????????????

And a similar one :) Dec 13 2016 post 1928

Ronnie Runyan Corvette at Bakersfield

[​IMG]

At Lions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

A buddy of mine emailed me this today.
    All you boys and girls had better be good.
    98604A5E-BFE3-4B11-8181-D717B7799B21.jpeg

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Kerry and LB I have a pretty thin file on King Rat. The guys I raced with ran a 57 Vette that we called King Rat that I have posted before (but the only picture I have of the car is at Autorama in the late 60s) so this mid year with the same name seemed to gather my interest when I would run across it. I have some of the same pictures as LB that I have saved and maybe one other that I obviously misfiled.

The notes I have on the mid year King Rat is that two Canadian brothers Gervase and Johnny O'Neill moved from Canada to Southern Cal and originally built and raced an A/FX Chevelle in the 60s and then built the King Rat Corvette that they raced until 1970. They then switched to building a early 70s Camaro running a 427 Chevy until 1977 (with a Logghe chassis I believe-ran a best of 6.72 I have in my notes). They were one of a few that did not make the switch to Hemi power. I saw the recent restoration of the King Rat Camaro this past summer at the St John's Concours event when it made it's debut with 7 other early funny cars. I do not want to post a picture of it because it will just get deleted.

Here is a picture of the 57 Vette King Rat we ran in 68 and 69. The fact that the O'Neills ran BBC power when others were switching to Chrysler Hemi power brings back fond memories of the car next to the Vette at Autorama. Banshee was a Pontiac Firebird owned by John Slicker who was a friend. John worked for GM and was a die hard GM guy and always stuck with Pontiac power. John was a hard worker without deep pockets and I remember visiting his shop across from the 10th Detroit Police precinct in Detroit (which anyone that lived in Detroit would know that the rent was not too high). You would figure there would not be too many break-ins there but I remember when his Pontiac blower was stolen (by a guy I knew who later went to Jackson prison). The blower ended up for sale at a local speed shop which John got back as he had some identification on the blower and Pontiac blowers were a tad rare. I knew John from when I was young, maybe 8 or 9 when he worked in my grandfather's restoration shop. I remember he had a pretty hot Pontiac in the late 50s-probably the first hopped up street car that I could inspect up close as a kid. Had an effect on me as it had a great sound.

As I have told the story before it says paint by Dave Leland-lived right next door to me. I talked Ray the owner of the car to give Dave a chance which he was skeptical as Dave may have been 14 or 15 years old. Ray was leaning towards Robin Summers who was the art director for the MC5 (pretty wild Detroit rock group-"Kick out the Jambs MFers"). Robin lived on the same street as Ray and Tim (one street over from me and he later lettered up their 61 Vette). Dave's older brother was my best friend at the time and we hung out and Dave was a great artist. He was always painting and painted a nude on the back of his bedroom door which his mother did not notice for some time. When she found the nude she had him paint on a bikini.

Had lots of fun with that car and we spent a great deal of time at the track. The Moon tank was functional and we pushed the car to the line. No fan just an electric pump-427 with a turbo 400 and then a clutch turbo. Many guys were running Moon tanks and I remember I thought it would be cool to cut it into the body and mentioned it to Ray the owner. He may have had the same idea since it was a no brainer to cutting a hole and popping it in.

We ran a hood with 427 cubic inch painted on each side like Nascar often did but had the hood off for Autorama. Ray's brother Tim drove the car. Sadly he passed away in 75 from Leukemia. Good times with King rat for sure.

KINGRAT.jpg

22. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Yep ! function over form.
    To this day I prefer the "rivets and aluminium look" that road racers have, over the "polished and anodised" look that is more prevalent in drag racing.

On my old Corvette, I needed tall rocker covers for clearance of the stud girdle. I ended up buying some nice plain polished alloy covers and matching timing cover. To the horror of all my friends, I got them course grit sandblasted so they had that "fresh cast" appearance.:D

Zip ties and 100mph tape rule [​IMG]

23. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Bob Bondurant in the Corvette being chased by Ken Miles in the Cobra

Bob Bondurant being chased by Ken Miles.jpg

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And the best part about those cars.........no apologies.

25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

26. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

chryslerfan55, enloe and Deuces like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

This is as big as I could get then without becoming too fuzzy :)

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

28. loudbang

loudbang

posted by Bleach in the vintage thread

bleach vintage.jpg

29. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

That is an interesting shot above LB. Wonder where it is? Looks like maybe an old hanger, Sebring? Lots of dollars sitting on the floor where ever it is. Cool pics LB and Bleach.

Merry Christmas folks thanks for sharing all these pics.

Bowtie Coupe and Deuces like this.
  30. elgringo71

elgringo71