Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reverse eye spring install

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 48fordnut, Dec 21, 2018.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Merry Christmas to all.

I have worked my self into a corner. I went from a zeed model a frame to a stock frame Had a reg model a spring under the chassis.

Fast forward, I sold the chassis, and bought a stock chassis, and a 38'' reverse eye spring.

Here is the problem ,I cannot get the spring to connect. Have used 2 ratchet straps and still about 6'' from connecting. I have a 4'' board under the spring so it slides easy. My spring is attached in the spring over ,like a model a .
    Spring is apart and eyes are 38'' .I think the shackles are 46'' apart.

Any thoughts?

Happy New Year.

jim

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  2. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

6" is a long way, Are you sure you have the right spring? If so try installing just the main leaf first and then building the spring on top with a long center bolt and clamps.

Used Up Junk likes this.
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6" sounds like a lot, take the spring apart CAREFULLY and try just the main leaf. 4wd1936 types faster than I do. shackles should be about 2 1/2 inches center to center

deathrowdave likes this.
  4. oldfordnutt

oldfordnutt
    from Modesto,Ca

When i installed my reversed eye spring i used a port a power from a body shop made the job much easer and safer.

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the quick answers. Spring is apart ,38'' eye to eye, and I think the perch is about 46'' ,what ever a stock model a is.

6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

First use a spring spreader tool that extends the spring. The amount of energy that’s in a spring can mess you up.
    Ok with that said wrap a chain around the spring and clamp the spring on both sides. Remove the center bolt springbolt and take apart the spring so your not fighting the whole spring. This way you only have the main leaf and install to the schakles . Then fan the spring leafs example 1 o’clock 2 o’clock 3 o’clock 4 o’clock etc and install the spring bolt. Grease the edges of the spring in the fan position and loosely wrap a chain around and with a large rubber mallet tap in the second leaf in position of the main leaf. Continue till all the leafs are in position

7. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

John, spring comes apart easily with a c clamp. I have no problem getting the leaves back on. I can't get the spring to spread enough to get the shackle to hook up.

8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

20181221_151152_resized.jpg

Pics or it didn't happen. Spring is eye to eye is 38'' .Shackle is 47'' eye to eye.

9. Jibs

Jibs

Looks like wrong spring to me. 9" is a long way to spread that spring, good luck.

slim38 likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

You got the wrong spring. No question about it. Who told you that spring would fit that setup? Hopefully they'll take it back.

11. Andy

Andy

What year rear is that? 42-48? Later ones are wider.

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes obvious spring is wrong. If that's a newly bought item better call selling company for a return.

14. I was going to say put a bottle jack on it and smoosh it down. But seeing the pic it is not going to smoosh that far.

If you still have the original main leaf it is not that big a deal to reverse it. Guess I need to trick someone into letting me reverse their spring eyes so I can show the poor man's way to do it. In my mind it is always easier to work with the original. But I think ass backward to everyone else.

ronzmtrwrx and Randall like this.
  15. Model A rear perch eyes are 49-1/2"; spring you have there is made for a narrower late model axle that would not have had enough room between the backing plates for a stock width spring.

Either need a stock width A spring or you could use a T spring which will drop the rear more.

Worst option; you could weld some new spring mounts on your housing and use the narrow spring.

16. LOL the worse option is to find the stock spring and heat it and let it drop. :D

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Looks like a T spring to me and too short for sure

18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Where to find a model T spring that will fit.
    I am coming to the conclusion that it is too short.

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Stock model T spring is 44 inches eye to eye

20. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

21. Stock T perch eyes are 48" and the T spring will easily fit the slight wider A perches. Have to shave the A perch width a little as the T spring is a 1/4" less in width. Also need to take out a few leaves for a good ride.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

48fordnut likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Looks like the 'new guy' there was fresh out of main leaf blanks, so rolled the eyes on a #3 leaf. (in this case it was 'criminally short'!)
    You'd be surprised at the folks working in this industry...some drive new Accords, this is just a job. " 'Model T'? That's the model identification of the part."

23. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Now to find a correct t spring. Will the eyes be reversed/

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Are you going to try again with this purveyor? :eek:

25. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

A HAMB alliance member sells springs and hear nothing but good stuff.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

St Louis Spring can build anything you want. There may be a similar type business in the chicagoland area.

27. Fordors

Fordors

The main leaf pictured sure looks like it’s from the 5 leaf, 2” wide Model T spring sold by Speedway under p/n 91043105.
    Speedway offers these for custom installations on fabricated brackets for the narrower width. Also, T springs are 2”, but the Model A spring to fit the OP’s frame are 2 1/4” wide.
    Wrong application, nothing wrong with the purveyor.

28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

AMike, No. I'm going to find something that works. My time is too precious to fiddle fart around with parts that don't fit. I only get 30 to 40 min a day to work on the parts. So this is just wasted time.

29. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

You have made a good choice my friend , in locating a new friend . There are tons of energy contained in that spring . You multiply that by 10 fold over strecting that spring . Please be careful and use PPE when tinkering with springs . I think the best and safest way to attack installing one of these is as suggested , clamp and remove the center bolt . Slowly remove the clamp releasing the leafs and their stored up energy . Install the bare main leaf then add the remaining leafs with the clamps and center bolt . It may sound stupid and silly , but if one spring ever gets away from you , you will be the first to think I guess you really can’t fix stupid .

30. Manager

Manager

Looks like one of those Posies springs. They are made for 44" hanger centres.

48fordnut likes this.