Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fire at Advanced Plating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phantompjcoupe, Aug 25, 2018.

1. As I said previously they have several pieces I sent to have chromed and none of them are irreplaceable although they are original 32 pieces I can find replacements if necessary, first and foremost I am more concerned with how things work out for Steve.

I know he has been through disaster in the past and he is resilient. HRP

2. metalman

metalman

Boy, got that right. A couple Sundays ago I was driving down the street near my shop and found this. Such a feeling when you see your shop with the doors busted open and smoke pouring out. I got lucky, fire was in my neighbors building, we have a fire wall between us. Turned out I had some smoke damage and had to fix the doors and roof where the firemen busted them. Can happen anytime, anywhere. Glad no one got hurt and wish them the best rebuilding. 1265.jpeg

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or maybe not.....
    burned phone.jpg

town sedan and phantompjcoupe like this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

God, that's horrific. I hope they bounce back and rebuild. It would be a real loss for all concerned if they decide to let insurance payout, then fold up and not reopen.
    They'll be in for some long stressful days over the next few weeks. The Fire Dept. investigators will be in along with the insurance co. Then the monumental task of salvaging and sorting customer inventory. What parts survived, were damaged (and to what extent) and parts that are a total loss/cannot be found. If the paper/computer files of customer parts and how far along they were in the process were lost (not backed up) it'll mean more work.
    Then managing their dedicated workforce that is suddenly w/o a work place.

5. Anderson

Anderson

This is a pretty bad situation for the company itself. But also for those who had parts there. Advanced is one of the top chrome shops in the business and a lot of cars heading to SEMA in the fall and many other shows are going to feel this pretty hard. A lot of one-off hand made parts might be lost for good. That’s a big chain effect hit.

CudaChick1968 and phantompjcoupe like this.
  6. That is a pretty sad looking picture of the bldg. As several have said, give them time to get inside, figure out what specific damage, and locate customer's parts. It could be a tough luck for many on a SEMA timeline.

7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I read a few articles on it, one said that it was a total loss, but they have spirit better than most shops and will rebuild, the largest hurdle is the one of getting past the EPA and any cleanup costs or spills or groundwater contamination. That is probably the largest stick in the mud as of now they will face and be the determining factor for their business. I really hope that everything goes well for them and they bounce back better than ever! Just glad no one lost a life in this.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That has to suck for everyone involved.
    I can imagine what it would be like for Steve and what it will take to recover from this if he chooses to carry on.

From the side of the guys who lost their parts I can relate to that as when I shipped my 70 pound box of parts out to Ogden chrome my biggest concern was losing them.

The box contained pretty close to 100 % hand made one off parts for my RPU that I had made and there is no drawing to go by to replace them.

Let’s just say that it was quite a relief to get everything back all nice and pretty.

For all the guys losing parts it will be a nightmare, maybe not as bad as Steve’s but similar anyway.

I’m hoping for a positive outcome for everyone.

9. Losing parts that whether they are hand built or not, can be replaced pales to the family’s that may not know if they still have a livelihood. Hopefully it works out for everyone but especially those who rely on them to put food on their table.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's a shame to see this happen to such a reputable business. It seems their work is all over the top cars when I go to the Detroit Autorama every year, and I'd imagine that's no coincidence. The top guys have the money to have their work done anywhere (and get priority), and they choose them. I wish everybody the best in coming back and hope they can account for customers items. They seem to want to make it as right as possible in the face of difficult circumstances.

11. stingbean

stingbean

I just saw this on the Nashville Ledger website:

VOL. 42 | NO. 50 | Friday, December 14, 2018
    Electroplating maker expanding in Portland
    Advanced Plating, Inc., an electroplating manufacturer, is locating its new facility in Portland, creating 200 jobs and investing approximately $4 million in Sumner County.

The company will move its operations into a 115,000-square-foot facility. Advanced Plating provides electroplating services for the automotive, architectural fixtures and musical instrument industries. The company specializes in turnkey components as well as surface finishing technologies including polishing, anodizing, powder coating, chrome, nickel, gold and other plating finishes.

Established in 1962, Advanced Plating is the largest automotive restoration plating company in the world and the largest manufacturer of OEM electric guitar components in the U.S.

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm assuming there is a Portland in TN? Hope they aren't moving to the West Coast, as that would really hurt on shipping costs for those of us who are lucky enough to live in reasonable distance of TN.
    On edit: Just took a look ,and there is a Portland TN not too far from Nashville.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  13. Yep, up close to TN/KY border.

town sedan and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Good to read this. So many of these places have gone out of business that its getting harder to find plating shops.

town sedan likes this.
  15. Rckt98

Rckt98

That is good news.
    Just curious as to how everyone got on that had parts there for chroming when the fire happened.