Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cubic inch checker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jesse Duke, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Jesse Duke

Jesse Duke

looking for information on cubic inch checkers or engine puffing machine. How they work. How easy are they to use. Where to get one used or new. Any help?

2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Well, they work by measuring " swept volume " . Commonly they are a glass or plastic tube marked in cubic inches with a piston that pushes up a ring that slides with a little bit of force. Both rocker arms are not aken off the cylinder to be tested, a fitting is inserted in the sparkplug hole and a hose attached between the cylinder and the bottom of the tube. When the air is drawn in and out as the engine is rotated the piston in the device pushes up the ring the distance of the swept volume....they are quite accurate!...we got " pumped" a lot in our hayday of dirt modified racing.

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Jesse , I have a " bubble " or " pump" ( the name used depends on your age and region) that you can borrow.
    Also have a " Whistler " or blue box that is the tool for checking compression ratio..
    I'm in Idaho , boise area.
    If you are close I can test for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana