Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual transmission for Olds 371/324?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superjunkman, Aug 31, 2007.

1. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I'm at my wits end (yes I've read the tech threads) looking for an affordable way to run a 4/5/6 speed with my Olds 324. I saw an adapter kit that included a flywheel and some other stuff, but it was $1,400. That kinda money would be best spent elsewhere on my roadster. Any ideas?

2. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

3. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

did you get a hydramatic with that 324? :confused:

use that.

personally, i love hydros.

maybe you should study Freudian psychology to understand why you feel the need to grab a stick and wave it around all the time.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

YEah, I was real worried about my hydro from reading on the internet, but once I topped mine up with fluid, it's great. The thing's never in the wrong gear, like EVER. I'm even considering running TWO pedals in my hotrod when I build it and using a Hydro...

5. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

There a great automatic, but I've just never liked automatics, even in new cars. I was just made that way. When I was a kid I remember my dad downshifting and just ruining guys in our souped up 60 Vette. It made a really big impression on me.

6. You could get an Olds with a manual trans, they're just tough to find. I'd start there. Maybe the 3-speed out of a late 70s-early 80's GM 1-ton 2WD pickup would work. Not the gears you want, but they're not expensive and a tough trans. Something like a T5 would probably last to the end of the block or so and that's that. Maybe a world-class T5 behind a 303 or 324, but that's not cheap unless you happen on one in a you-pull-it yard.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

There's no cheap way out of it, unless you really luck out while cruising the swap meets, or happen across someone that was into such things thirty years ago before the prices went apeshit. Even then, they'd have to be clueless about its current value. One tip, though; if you ever find an old Speed Gems adapter for an early Olds, don't worry about what transmission it's drilled for---just buy it. Speed Gems had one universal Olds/Cad adapter that had enough meat to be drilled for almost any transmisison pattern.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

man you sound desperate

word to the wise,
    take a breath, relax and examine you priorities

if you still come back to where you are now
    come up with a realistic dollar figure you can put towards this one aspect of your car
    and how much time you truely have to put that part together.

you can put it together a lot cheaper
    but if time is of the essence then of course a kit will save you a lot of time.

if you are really not as desperate as you sound,
    and can spend say the next few months looking for a good deal(s)
    then work on the rest of the car and keep up the search.

if you are somewhere in between then you can put it all together for about half the $1,400.00

call Speedway and order the Olds to flathead Ford plate adapter and the flathead Ford to Chevy transmission bellhousing.
    then order a Ford 11" Long style pressure plate, an 11" Chevy disc and throwout bearing... maybe wait to order the bearing till you know if you need the tall or short one, and a clutch fork.
    then call Ross and order a flywheel to match your setup.

should total somewhere around seven or eight hundred...well should cost less than a grand anyway.

choosing to run the old stuff is not always a hobby for the impatient or poor,
    but if you take your time research and buy pieces as you can afford them it can be done for a bit less scratch.

dan griffin likes this.
  9. pissininthewind

pissininthewind
    from 30.000 ft

There is a flywheel on Ebay right now. The bellhousing can be had from eelco and the clutch kit is off the shelf for about 250.00. I have a caddy but it is pretty much the same thing and I have about 800.00 in it.

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the Schiefer unit has exceded it's value, go figure. :rolleyes:
    I would verify the part number before bidding on it anyway.

11. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I found a possible solution. I know where there's a set of Offy #0401 #3646 adapter plates. Does anyone know if these are the right adapter plates? I've searched the archives and can't find an answer.

12. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I found #0401 it's Mopar, but #3646 is still a mystery.

13. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Not to start another Eelco bashing thread, but you better order it from them on eBay or you're about 50/50 on whether you'll actually see it. Oh, they'll charge your card, and quick, but they won't ship the parts. It seems the only venue to order from them is through eBay as they protect their feedback by providing the service level that we as americans have come to expect.

Signed,
    A former Eelco customer

14. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for the service review. I think I'll keep it Ebay only. Thanks guys. I think I'll stick it out with the Olds and not go with plan B (283).

nochop likes this.
  15. Willie McCoy

Willie McCoy

I know this is an older thread, but a buddy of mine finds aluminum flywheels all the time to re-sell, mostly on EBay. I think we're currently out of OEM ones. The early zero balance flywheel isn't too hard to find compared to my 371, and 394 which are Detroit balance. The late 394 also used a smaller diameter wheel making it rare, rare. If you're going to run the flathead tranny, the adapter plates are available in steel on EBay as well. The manual ones can be had out of Utah from an Offenhauser dealer, andBendson's. Clutches are standard GM, later are actually Ford units. Ross Racing can set you up with the bushing adapter, and I have actually made my own. We currently manufacture the engine mounts for these engines, and have been in the works on a more affordable manual flywheel, and bellhousings that go further than Ford/Chevy trans. I'm also planning on a future automatic conversion that's shorter. Ross was offering a TH350 bell for a minute, but I'm not sure if that's still available. Hope this is helpful.

dan griffin and F&J like this.
  16. F&J

F&J

is this it? I had this one in the classifieds here.. Still available
    DSCN1053.JPG DSCN1054.JPG

17. dan griffin

dan griffin

If late 94 wheel is smaller the lower bell housing would be different or starter would not engage the fly wheel.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Don't forget to install a pilot bushing in that 394.