Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Tell me a little on my new CAE axle.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curly, Feb 17, 2009.

1. I purchased a NOS CAE axle for a future project. The sticker says CAE Racing Products San Diego Calif. I did a Yahoo search and really didn't find much info. I did a search on here and found ALOT of sprintcar stuff.

I was wondering if anyone had any pics of the axle mounted up. It is a straight axle (No drop) and is set up for Ford spindles

I have tabs for a hairpin/4 bar set up and outboard of those are two mounts I assume are for a leaf spring (spring behind). The only thing is it would appear that the sping once mounted would interfere with the 4 bars during travel????

Attached Files:

town sedan likes this.
  2. pastlane

pastlane

CAE built a lot of sprint car as well as drag stuff. Could be your axle was intended to be hung on torsion bars.

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

CAE was Culbertson Automotive Engineering and was owned by Jim Culbertson. He was a charter member of SEMA according to Wikipedia. Seems that they mostly specialized in circle track / sprint car equipment. Others here will know more.

Bob

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I gotta CAE catalog ,,I'll scare ya up some pix

5. That would use a wishbone link, not 4-bar.

6. turdytoo

turdytoo

CAE stuff was the cats meow in its day.

7. CAE 1973 catalog.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

town sedan likes this.
  8. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I got one just like it

but mine is complete with the hair pins and the drag link also have round back spindles on it

I will post some pix of it tomorrow I have to dig it out

Tom

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I wrote that catalog copy! CAE did a big overseas business. Jim would take six weeks every year and travel to South Africa, New Zealand and Australia pitching his stuff. Curt Waters, a CAE employee, bought the business and put into BK. Speedway has the fiberglass molds for CAE bodies.

town sedan and deucemac like this.
  10. filthy frank

filthy frank

not the same topic,but i found a cae champ quickchange at summers bros before we moved the shop.i havent used it yet.the back cover looks real neat.frank.

11. Now I'm confused (again) The catalogs all say Culbert so where did Culbertson come from?
    I've only known it at Culbert for over 50 years.

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Here ya go

Attached Files:

• cae1.jpg
      cae1.jpg
      File size:
      134.4 KB
      Views:
    • cae2.jpg
      cae2.jpg
      File size:
      135.7 KB
      Views:
    town sedan and ottoman like this.
  13. Well it looks like what I thought....the spring goes between the hairpins. Looks like I'll be able to use it as it was made to be used with a few pieces/parts from Speedway.

Thanks for the pics and info.....this place is great. Looks like I paid more for the axle than what the complete frontend cost:D

14. Here's a picture of one on my dads car circa 1968 :)

Attached Files:

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Note the "swing sleeve" on the sprint axle...there was obviously no way to use a wishbone or other centered swing arm on a sprint, and Culbert developed the sleeve to allow a fully functional front geometry with the split type radius rods. A brilliant widget!

16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Looks familiar. I hated to let that thing go but it was just sitting in my room and I needed the money for my model a project.

17. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

By chance did CAE or any other mfg offer a I BEAM aftermarket straight front axle?

Attached is a pic of an axle the out of state seller says only 27.5 inches from center leaf spring perch to center leaf spring perch and 51 inches from King Pin to King Pin center. Seller insists subject axle is unaltered and most likely aftermarket. I want to buy this axle for a Falcon build but need to ID this thing first. It looks like Spindles are Chevy?

What is the center leaf spring perch to center leaf spring perch on a 47/54 Chevy axle?

Please comment.

Attached Files:

18. It's either Chevy or Ford truck axle. Not aftermarket. Picture is very small :)

19. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

I never saw that car in person, but I really loved it in the pages of R&C. Is it still around?

[​IMG]

20. My Father spent years trying to find it so he could buy it back. He located it maybe 10 years ago now in AZ. and had made a deal with the guy. The day he was to fly down there and get the car the owner and the car were gone. No one has found the car or the guy??? He was in the middle of a divorce if memory serves me correct so who knows what happened.

If anyone knows where it is or has any info, please let me know. :)

Since he could not get back the original....he built another one!!! Similar, but different. He's 77 and still building stuff from the ground up, just like back in the day. He also helps me out here at my shop. We work together when we can and this car is the inspiration for my "Lakes-T" I'm building as rollers or complete cars for guys.

MY car retains the "feel" of my fathers, but no space frame. I offer it in two versions.

***Traditional style comes with Ford Flathead engine, early Ford 3 speed or C-4 automatic, Ford axle up front and banjo in the rear. Early Ford drums all around and lever shocks. Also uses original (modified) Ford wishbones.

***The more "modern" style is the same basic car except it uses a tube front axle with GM disk brakes up front. Tube shocks all around. S-10 rearend, small block 350/350 engine/trans and hair-pins.

Attached Files:

21. Here is my C.A.E. tube axle set-up on my Fiat.
    [​IMG]

town sedan likes this.
  22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Don't get me wrong, that car is way cool but are you sure that's a CAE axle. It has none of the unique tabs or brackets that you could i.d. it by.

23. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord
    from Wausau

Fox Valley,

The "Track T" you are building sounds exactly what I would like to build. Could you provide some pictures of them and a breakdown for the costs involved? I went to your website and could find no mention of them there.
    I would like to go the traditional route, but my budget may make me go the modern route. Have you delivered a lot of them?

Thanks,

BR

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My old Roadster has the CAE Sprint Car front end setup illustrated in that catalog above.

25. aero nut

aero nut

Hi guys
    Just found this thread .
    Am interested in CAE
    I read in one of the posts about south africa ...
    I have a midget that I am trying to find out information on . Did CAE make chassis ?!?!
    As this car has been in South Africa from the 30s or 40s.

Attached Files:

town sedan likes this.
  26. deucemac

deucemac

The Name was Culbert, not culbetson.

27. Hi. Do you still have that CAE chrome front axle? If so, I am interested in it. I had a mishap at the track and hit the wall and bent my axle. I would like to replace it with an original CAE this time like our original car had. Thank you!

28. Hi. Do you still have that CAE straight front axle? I am in need of one that is 44-1/2 wide kingpin to kingpin centers. If you still have it I would be interested in it. Thank you.

29. Alex Samuelian

Alex Samuelian

I have a CAE chrome straight axle, wishbones and spring from the early 70’s drum to drum. It’s in excellent condition been stored inside if you are still looking for one. It’s 44-1/2” kingpin to kingpin.

30. Pontichief54

Pontichief54

Would anyone be willing to buy one.? How much are they worth?