Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel Pressure regulator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Dec 11, 2018.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I'v been following a thread about a tri- power set up. I've talked myself into putting a regulator on my car. Its 348 tri power.With that said. I really dont like the look of regulator setting out there. Just me, pet peeve .I'm getting one that will set at about 2-4 . But are there smaller ones and can/where can i hide it.It just will not look right on my 348. Any ideas?

2. On my Model A w Cadillac 390/tri power I put the regulator under the floor (approx where the passengers feet were). I also had a fuel pressure gauge in the engine compartment, plumbed from a port on the regulator.

In my case, it was a full return fuel system so it was a bit of a hassle to make all the hard lines, but with a no return system it should just be to "splice in" the regulator on the existent fuel line.

Just remember to mount the regulator so you can easily adjust the pressure if necessary.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

For the "system" to work correctly, the regulator needs to be as close to the carburetor inlet as possible.
    That said, I suppose, you could put it at/under the firewall, understanding that the farther it's mounted from the carburetor, the less accurate it will be..!

Here's where I mounted mine -
    [​IMG]

Mike

Max Gearhead and mad mikey like this.
  4. the-rodster

the-rodster

A fuel presssure regulator made a world of difference for my two strombergs.

Put it in plain sight, it let's people know that your keeping an eye on things.

Rich

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mine is bolted to a bracket at back of carb. It is a Holley-hard to see under air cleaner--has been there and worked well for 10 years.

mad mikey likes this.
  6. catdad49

catdad49

Here's mine, I don't think it looks out of place. IMG_1304.JPG

7. Should be mounted close to carb like Mike stated. Here is mine. WIN_20170423_12_34_39_Pro.jpg

catdad49 likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you have the factory air breather, you should be able to hide it under it.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tuck it behind the blower where no one will see it.:cool:
    upload_2018-12-11_19-40-55.png

chevy57dude, catdad49 and Rich S. like this.
  10. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Some things are just too hard to hide , so just mage a clean setup. Necessary stuff is what it is. With a 348 people really shouldn't notice a small addition

11. On my 348 I built a bracket and mounted it in front of the head. Here is a pic of when we were setting up the fuel lines fwiw. Sold the car to a friend and he drove it in 100 degree summer weather last year without any heat soak issues if you might wonder.
    100_6338 (1).JPG

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Well where you have it ,it doesn't stick out like sore thumb.I guess like 56 said above. Some things you just gotta have/do.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^X2. What's the point of looking cool if it doesn't run right?

14. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

In a lot of cases, can't you just use a mechanical fuel pump and skip the regulator?
    If you use a rebuildable type pump, you can replace the main spring with a lighter one to get the desired pressure.

15. rjones35

rjones35

Probably not the look you're going for but here's what I did. FB_IMG_1521479111686.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. rjones35

rjones35

Texas Webb likes this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I know it is wrong but I hated the look of the regulator so I mounted it way back by the fuel tank just in front of the electric fuel pump. Set it for 2 psi... that was 8 years ago. Completely trouble free since
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

So in other words , you have no idea what your pressure at the carbs is ??

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I used a temporary carb mounted gauge while I set it to 2 psi. then I removed the gauge and forgot about it. no issues in the 8 years I have been driving it

Stogy and olscrounger like this.
  20. so what regulator did you use?

21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I'm going to go with Moriarty on the fuel regulator mounted near the tank. The regulator mounted in the engine bay gets much hotter, a recipe for vapor lock. I fought vapor lock for several years (OT 392 CID IH engines - I had to avoid Tucson and Phoenix in warm weather) before going further OT (the dark and smokey side) with diesel trucks.

Moriarity likes this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It is an edelbrock 1789 1-4 psi.... I didn't want any modern looking stuff under my hood.. worked out for me but your results may vary. I know they say it is not a good idea. but my carbs don't flood and it runs great

23. hudson48

hudson48

I think it was my thread that got B.A.King started on this. I have always had the regulator just before it goes into the fuel block on the firewall and then the three lines feed to the carbs. Did the changeover with the Holley regulator and put the lighter spring in and set at 2.5 lbs and looks like my problem solved. The car idles better and smoother on acceleration.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Use a Malpassi Filter King pressure regulator and you won't mind it being visible in the engine compartment at all.
    [​IMG]

They also make just a regulator without the filter bowl, it looks great too:

[​IMG]

You can find them on the bay.

25. I got one of those regulators. Very nice item.:cool:

Blues4U likes this.
  26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I like the glass bowl, mine is aluminum.

Steampunk lamp, Pressure Regulator 003.JPG

Max Gearhead likes this.
  27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I think i like that ....a lot!! MANY THANKS!!!

28. clem

clem

Did you set it up with a return line or without ?
    Thanks
    Clemens.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  29. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

What is the pressure range, and how is it adjusted?

30. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years ago oj on here was taking a brass Hilborn pop off body and changing the spring and provided shims so you could get 2.5 / 3 / 3.5 PSI. Could mount on fuel pump outlet, but would need a return. I can't find the post where he showed one installed. I bought one for a slightly different application. You might PM him for a picture and see if he still makes them.