Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Power window wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by babblewon, Dec 9, 2018.

1. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

So I fabricated in the power windows from electric life. Temporarily wired them to a toggle so I could go up and down while installing. Question is has anyone wired a 6 pin double window switch to these? Attached is the back of the switch I have. Do I run 12v, ground, and the 4 motor wires to it? What goes to what post on the switch. Attached is a photo of the relay wiring I did to the toggle. Would the relay wiring stay the same for this new window switch?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am no auto sparky and tried using these switches in my F100 but was told I could not because my motors were not compatible to the earthing system.
    That said if yours comes in a kit then that should not be an issue.
    I am assuming you got plugs to fit the switches, used ones can be hard to find in good condition and I think new maybe out of the question.
    However, if it is a kit you have they must have provided something useable for the purpose...
    I saved this circuit diagram way back when which I believe is a GM circuit that maybe of some help for starters.

I hope it is some help to you.

I could be your lucky day as I have now edited this post with a couple more pic's that should help even more.
    I had no plugs so made some with some resin moulded around some connectors attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    goldmountain likes this.
  3. You should be able to control the window motors directly with the switch, no relays needed. As pictured, the two upper pins should be ground and 12V input power. It may not matter which is which (see test below), although if the switch works opposite, switching the polarity of these two will fix it. The other four go to the two window motors, two each motor; again, you'll need to check polarity.

Easy to check with a meter. With the switch not operated (neither switch pushed either way), you should have either no continuity between any contacts, or continuity between all motor pins and the ground pin. With the switch operated one way or the other, you should have continuity between one motor pin and the ground pin, the other motor pin should be connected to the 12V pin. Move the switch the other way, and the motor pins should reverse their connections.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    fiftyv8 likes this.
  4. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Awesome thanks! I tested the polarity on the switch assuming it would be as your pic above. One side of the switch was true to that and the other was all weird. I think the switch was bad on one side. I’m gonna grab another one today. I didn’t get a kit, just trying to make my own...

fiftyv8 likes this.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

Power window switches reverse polarity to operate. The window motor is a simple DC motor. If you hook a positive wire and a negative wire to the two wires on the switch, the motor runs in one direction. If you swap the positive wire and the negative wire, the motor runs the other direction.

The window switch basically reverses the direction of the power flow. It has a positive wire coming in, and a negative wire coming in. There are 2 sets of contacts in the switch. On one set of contacts, the power flows through the switch in one direction. On the other set of contacts, the power flows through the switch in the opposite direction. Until you understand what the switch is doing, it can be real confusing.

Your 6 wires are:
    1) Positive in.
    2) Negative in.
    3 & 4) Contacts for the power flow in one direction.
    5 & 6) Contacts for the power to flow in the opposite direction.
    I'm not going to pretend I know how the wires on your switch are orientated, you get to figure that out, there are several different layouts. Gene

pprather and fiftyv8 like this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Something to consider is if you want to wire them so that you can work them without the key.
    I modified the wife's off topic car this way, and it's really convenient when the windows are down and you see rain is coming, you can raise them without going to get the key.
    Also it's a nice feature when a passenger is left waiting in the car.

7. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Got it all wired and working! Just did a polarity test on the switch to find which was ground.

8. That's not always true. I know that some older GM products used 3-wire switches with no ground and motors with two input leads, but the motor leads were 'up' and 'down', the motor being grounded through the housing.

9. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Ya my old Cadillac had 3 wire style. Grounded at the motor and put 12v to the other wires for up or down.