Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flatty gurus, what is this block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Dec 8, 2018.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Years ago when i built my 47 ford coupe I got a parts car that still had this motor in it. My pops wants to build another flat head and has done some reading and thinks this motor is something special. What he has read says the raised area where the intake sits and the keystone shaped water jacket hole identify this as some holy grain flathead. Does anyone out there have an idea? I think its just another 59 a b

2. deucemac

deucemac

I remember the '41blocks having the raised lip on the intake which would not be a 59A? Measure the bore. It should be 3 1/16.

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

4. That was the famous 7 cylinder flatty that ran at Bonneville in 1955.......

Clay Belt and Bandit Billy like this.

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Your dad is probably thinking about the 99t, If the bore is 3 3/16 it might be just that, I’ve only been lucky enough to have 59a, 8ba motors , there are certain identifiers , but it’s one of those every now and then there are a few exceptions to the rule things

There should be a couple pages in the tardel / bishop book that loosely addressed identification

6. alchemy

alchemy

Look for a light 99 stamped or cast on the upper right corner of the intake deck. Not the raised part but on the lower level. Does this engine have the core plugs in the pan rails? Looks like it should.

Since it doesn't have the extra boss near the oil pressure sender I think it is pre war. Kinda looks like the front of the block would hold a pencil above the timing cover too.

Measure the bore.

7. flatford39

flatford39

That's a 39- 41 block with the raised intake. I have one in my shop. Nothing special about it unless it's not cracked like all the others.

8. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Nice block to have raised deck was usually know as a Mercury block it might be 3 -3/16 bore if it is its the Merc block for sure.

9. flatjack

flatjack

If it was a Merc block, the center water hole would be round.

flatford39 likes this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks Guys, she's suck pretty good but if the block is good then we will consider it a win.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yep, 41-2 or early wartime (I think the lump to ease full flow stuff came in during 1943) 221, which likely can be bored to 239.

Moriarity likes this.
  12. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

It looks to have a crab distributor which if original would make it a 42. The 41's still had the divers helmet style.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also...on these early 24 stud blocks, Ford recommended using the postwar 59A style gasket WITHOUT the big trapezoidal holes accompanied by three holes in each early head to be drilled oversize to get better water distribution. Late heads and the general run of aftermarket ones do not need the drilling. Details in Ford overhaul manual.