Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Vin check on my 1939 Ford Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stillrunners, Dec 6, 2018.

1. whale....it's there on the frame like this....haven't pulled what I think is the original motor....it goes like - I8- 2I3I4I5I6.....the the title has 18-213141516 - did Ford stamp those I's for 1's because the one was broken ? Think hopefully it will be okay..........and that's a made up kinda number... 20180407_131420.jpg

2. F&J

F&J

The numbers have always been odd looking since at least as far back as Model A's,( that I have owned)

3. Ford used an upper case I for the numeral 1. So read all of the upper case I's as 1's. The 18- prefix means that it came with the 85 HP engine, and the rest of it is just the sequential production number of the engine/trans unit. when that engine/trans unit was bolted into a chassis, they had a man with a big hammer and a set of number stamps who copied the serial number off the bell of the trans onto the top of the left frame rail. I'm serious about that.

stillrunners and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's true.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. ..........I heard he had to retire early with constant ringing in the ear!:eek::rolleyes:

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  6. Thanks guys....not really as much concerned about the DMV as much as if I sell it down the road.....just going to get it kinda road ready - to be a test bed - sorta - for engines.....and drive out some fun in it.