Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No fuel line bung on new tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Dec 6, 2018.

1. NAES

NAES

I just received an aftermarket fuel tank that I'm goint to retrofit into my '55 Caddy and there's no fuel line bung at the bottom.

No big deal I thought except Google searching doesn't come up with anything. What the hell is that little sucker called? I have no problem cutting a hole and brazing one in so if you guys could help me out I would really appreciate it!

NAES

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does the stock one feed from each the level sender? A lot of them did.

3. 34Phil

34Phil

(5)Fuel withdrawal fittings. Except for diesel fuel tanks, the fittings through which fuel is withdrawn from a fuel tank must be located above the normal level of fuel in the tank when the tank is full.
    So look on top and see if there is a fitting with a siphon tube

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. NAES

NAES

Stock Cadillac tank has a fitting for the fuel line and a drain fitting. Thats what I'm familiar with.

The tank I bought is for a Chevelle or El Camino (I forget which) and I want to use the increased tank capacity. So those cars may use a top siphon setup but I would like to use the standard bottom fed method.

5. So what you’re saying is that your bung hole is missing

6. squirrel

squirrel

Just get the fuel gauge sender that matches the tank, and you'll have a bung. You will need to route the fuel line to the top of the tank, of course.

And the resistance of the sending unit will probably be 90 ohms instead of 30 ohms, so it'll read full until it's down to about a third of a tank, then it will drop quickly.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry...missing bung-hole...lol.

9. NAES

NAES

Ok thanks guys. I'll look at the other senders and see what works.

I'm not sure I'm ready to be a bung-holeless-man yet!

10. How about putting in a touch hole?

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

beavis.jpg

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

Why would you want that in the bottom? If you ever needed to pull the tank, you would have a mess of fuel to deal with.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. I have purchased two different gas tanks from Tanks Co. and neither one had a drain bung on the bottom, which I would really like to have. Should have put one in before I mounted them.

14. NAES

NAES

All old fuel tanks I've ever dealt with from VW to American have the outlet holes on the bottom of the tank. Many including the stock Cadillac also have a drain plug similar to an oil pan.

15. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

16. squirrel

squirrel

by the late 50s, most were top outlet....by the late 60s, weren't all of them?

alanp561 and XXL__ like this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The key word there is "old" as in obsolete and not exactly safe as apposed to "old and traditional" As Jim said that changed somewhere in the 60's or 70's and for good reason, a fuel line breaks or leaks at the fitting on the bottom of the tank and you all the sudden have a tank full of gas laying on the ground under the vehicle.
    Chevrolet changed it on their AD trucks in about 1954 from the fuel line going from the bung in the bottom of the tank to the tank sending unit.

XXL__ likes this.
  18. NAES

NAES

Not saying he's wrong or anything. I'm stating that I'm only familiar with the bottom fed fuel lines on old tanks and top fed from fuel injection stuff.

All I want to do is get this fuel system setup as easy as I can. Safety would be an added bonus as well!

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Put the fuel line in from the top in the plate that has the sending unit. Make it long enough to suck fuel from the bottom of the tank. Get a 1/4" NPT bung from a radiator shop and solder it to the bottom of the tank for a drain plug.

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^Good advice here.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just cut a 3/8" or 1/4" NPT pipe coupling at 1/3 length from the end. Instant "bung".