Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Julian "Jules" Alvarez, An old friend of so many

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cabong, Dec 5, 2018.

1. cabong

cabong

Someone mentioned to me recently that Jules Alvarez had taken his tools, and made the trip to that great paint shop up the street, to meet up with all those talented car guys who preceded him in passing or caught up with him later. The latest of course, being my old friend, Sam Foose. I tried to verify Jules' passing, but no one seemed to know anything. I thought maybe it just wasn't true. But that was not to be, as Jules left us back in October. I had the chance to chat for a bit with Tiki, Jules' nephew, and he let me know the particulars. I had the please of knowing Tiki's Dad, Andy Alvarez, and I can say without reservation, that family was and is something very special. Back in the 70's Jules would come to my little shop in Costa Mesa to work his miracles on Porsches that I had painted, and an occasional early T-Bird. I used to virtually place my chin on his shoulder while he worked. I wanted to learn his magic. After I moved on, I never again paid for a cut and polish. People would ask where I learned to do that, and my answer was always,
    "I learned from the master".... Jules would always drive up in that wonderful B400. Man, what a sight !!! Jules will be missed my many people, probably more than he ever realized. For sure, he will be missed by this old friend!!!

If you knew Jules, please share your thoughts ......Or if you didn't know him, please feel free to comment.....

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, It is true. Many from Jack's Garage in Fountain Valley attended the memorial service. I know a few of the Alvarez's but not Julian.

loudbang likes this.
  3. I had known Julian for many years. Aside from making many painters look better than they were, Jules made the best beans and tamales on the planet.
    He was just a great guy and I'm going to miss him.

Mick

loudbang, deucemac and Jim Bouchard like this.
  4. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

R.I.P. Jules cleaned up several of mine. Till health got in the way , Great guy will miss not seeing him again.

loudbang and Jim Bouchard like this.

5. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I actually just heard this bad news earlier today.
    I met Julian a number of years ago at Art Chrisman’s shop. He was very friendly and a pleasure to talk to. I saw a few of his cars but I understand he had a very extensive collection of early ‘30’s Fords.
    Rest In Peace Jule’s.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I met Julian many years ago thru my good friend Jim Rench. I did some horsetrading of parts with him thru the years and he was always very fair. I'll miss seeing him cruise thru the LARS swap meet in his deuce delivery or B400 and I always had an invite to come and enjoy some tamales with him and Manuel.

7. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

RIP my old friend.
    You will be truly missed!!!!

I always got excited whenever he would pull up in front of my shop!!!! I knew there would be a great story of an old hot rod or the talk of someone’s new project. He always had “something” with him, be it a box of fresh onions or chilies or some tamales. My shop was like that too, always something freshly picked like oranges or lemons or my dads homegrown tomatoes on a side table. We always traded our goods, usually talking about how good whatever it was we had!!!!

Had fun over the years traveling with him too. It truly was about the trip and driving our old cars and eating good Mexican food!!!!

Peachy Jules was one of a kind and an awesome ambassador of our great hobby!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and lurker mick like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Rest In Peace Jules.... :(

loudbang likes this.
  9. cabong

cabong

I know that many people did not know Jules, and if that's the case, read on, and you will get the feeling that did, or should have.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Anyone that knew Julian and his brother Andy know what great people they were, always sincere and friendly.

Julian will be greatly missed, RIP

loudbang and Jim Bouchard like this.
  11. uncle buck

uncle buck

I never met him and I already miss him just from reading this thread

loudbang likes this.