Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Had enough of automatic trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Nov 29, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I convert to a 3 speed I am going to use original pedals and linkage,I might be able to get them for your Pontiac.

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

All I know is I have to repair it spending the least money I can,I spent the money it would take to rebuild the trans having fun on the trip and had to put the truck and trailer rental on the credit card. Money was tight before this and even tighter now.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You spent your CAR money on FUN??? :eek:

What were you thinking?? :confused:

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

First real vacation in a couple years.

razoo lew and loudbang like this.
  5. Meh....I use Muncie 4 speeds because they're more funner to drive.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Don't take it to heart Jeff......just trying to inject some humor into a difficult situation...

I know it has been a tough period for you.....it will get better

7. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

And old men with bad knees...….

LynnW

8. F&J

F&J

er...um...If I get that way,,, I will get a young GF to drive me around. ...turn a loss into a nice win.:oops:

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Might have to teach her, these days. Though there is something sexy about a woman rowing a gearbox.

F&J likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

Or anything else for that matter.

scrap metal 48, mkebaird, F&J and 2 others like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Mine knows how to drive a manual. Problem is she can't reach the pedals because shifter won't allow seat to moved forward.

12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Ditto!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. I limped an auto home 100 miles with a bad cooler line leak. 4L80E in an O/T beater. Just stopped every 30 miles and put more fluid in. This trans uses those push in and clip lines and they rotted right at the connector, so no way to patch it up.

Incidentally if you use these, the line end will weld itself into the connector when they rot. Probably not an issue on a hot rod that doesn't see road salt though. Oil lines with this design do it too.

But in college I took the basic auto trans courses and got an ATRA certification and I don't know how, because the inside of one looks to me like a jigsaw puzzle of a white bunny in a snowstorm. I never wanted to deal with fixing one.

14. Hey Jeff:

https://dayton.craigslist.org/pts/d/rebuilt-transmissions-and-transfercases/6741775220.html

There's a local outfit to you that rebuilds C4's for $995.
    there's a couple of used C4's in autoparts for $300...
    In between that under "automotive" services there's rebuilders in Columbus who might just fix what's broke.

getting the linkage, shifter, clutch pedals, transmission mount, driveshaft yoke, speedo cable/gear to convert to a manual might be another kind of hassle...

Hnstray likes this.
  15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

One of those 300 dollars trans looks like it has been sitting outside for 10 years and one supposively has been rebuilt but sitting for about 10 years,most likely going to have mine gone through again but my next car is going to get one of my 4 speeds. I had a quote of about 600 to have it gone through.

16. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

Automatic Transmissions like Astro Turf , are a Communist plot.

17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You have no idea what you'll do if you get " that " way , your not there yet and you will have a totally different outlook " then"

mkebaird likes this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:D..........Frank, good luck with that plan.....but

a) What’s in it for her....

b) Define ‘young’......at our age that’s a relative term more than ever

c) Nonetheless, I like how you think ;)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    LWEL9226, F&J and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. Uh sometimes ya just gotta get to it, really easy and just order good parts and cleanliness is good trans repair 2012  001.jpg trans repair 2012  003.jpg

Hnstray and Unique Rustorations like this.
  20. CA. 280

CA. 280

Personal opinion, it depends on the traffic where you live. Took a ride to the coast, about 40 miles on 2 lane roads. Due to accidents and traffic took 3 hours to get home. Ever rode a clutch for 3 hours?? you'll be begging for an automatic.

Hnstray, Boneyard51 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

My coupe has a 5 speed. My new project has an OD auto trans. You can call me whatever you want, I really don't care. We put just over 10,000 miles on the coupe this past summer, there were times when we were 500 miles from home and my left leg was letting me know it was tired of all the shifting.
    My bride of 42 years could have driven the coupe home, but by the time we got home, neither of us would have been very happy. There are times when an automatic trans is heaven sent, and those times are showing up more often as I get older.

I've pounded the living crap out of both manual and automatic transmissions, I can tell you that in my experience, the failure rate of an auto trans translates into more miles per failure then the failure rate of a manual trans per miles. Gene

Hnstray and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I changed the valve body and modulator and it did the same so I figured it needed rebuilt again,I went to put it in the big garage so I decided to go for a drive and can not get it to loose third again so I am thinking it might not be something serious. The valve body I put in was from the trans I had in it before the rebuilt went in and it shifted funky in it and this one is doing the same so its going to get the other valve body again along with a fluid and filter change and see what happens,there was nothing in the bottom of the pan and have put over 50 miles on it and it goes right into third.

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Did a filter and fluid change along with putting the original valve body back in and it shifts like its supposed to,weather is getting crappy so I could not drive very far but it now has a nice firm shift into third. It was probably vacumn related.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. Which models do you have, and out of which year? I m looking for an OD for my 54'.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I hurt the trans,now that it has warmed up it slides into third at light throttle and I did find the cause but think I can drive it all summer and deal with it next fall. I mounted the trans cooler to the radiator and a bunch of debris got caught between the two so the trans got hot,found a cooler with more cooling tubes and mounted it about a inch away from the radiator so this will not happen again.

26. I have a good one that came from a 59 ford wagon. $100

27. Does it have the solenoid, gov, etc? What all is there? Wonder what shipping to 37764 is....are you willing to ship? Thanks, Wolf!

28. Bones, I was going to tell a story very similar to yours. The difference is, that my friend owned a transmission repair shop. I helped him rebuild the spare TH400 I have in my basement. The reason I was grateful to have him do the tranny, was that he made several upgrades to the tranny that otherwise would have not have been made.
    I also agree with the other posters, that if you can change a clutch in a parking lot, you can rebuild an automatic. There some excellent youtubes that show the procedures, and using the manual plus the videos, I don't see how you could go wrong. The secret is clean, clean, clean.
    Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. I did a lot of automatics years ago, the C4 was simple, Powerglides we would go a "front job" on and have the car back together in a day. Yeah, they are messy to gut and you have to look at all the hard parts as well as the case for damage.

Boneyard51 likes this.