Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs A Tail of Two Fins (59 Impala)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Got another piece ready
    C1F75BB8-D2AC-404D-BE1D-99D7E22BA891.jpeg

hotrodharry2 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

59 Chevs are awesome...at least its a solid patient to tie the new structure into. Still understand the effort required as Mike said a seriously huge undertaking.

Good job Anthony...;)

anthony myrick likes this.
  3. thanks
    people asked why we attempted this
    the bones of the car was great, sometimes you have to look past the bad .....and its a conv

makes a big difference

hotrodharry2, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  4. If you ever wondered what a 59 fin looks like off the car, here ya go
    5F2DF119-3B42-4AE2-8173-4D01D15A222F.jpeg

5. Tops of fins ready to weld
    Top boot trim fits
    Gettin closer
    380675C2-7EE5-4E1F-A3E5-B10963F5513E.jpeg

6. Details
    This little baffle is unseen
    It will hold some foam to seal the fin area
    Just because no one will see it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be replaced

The original one on the left
    3FDD4B82-2C0D-40CB-B16C-D551025AED5E.jpeg
    The newly fabed one on the right
    B0D41A53-B5F8-4731-B5FE-772D8A46A9A3.png

hotrodharry2, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  7. Rebuilt and epoxied fin tops ready to go back on for the last time
    6B13683F-2A67-4C23-8873-3C669D7E7F5E.jpeg

8. Getting closer
    EFDFBAEB-25BA-4629-A6B2-8F491000FBD2.jpeg CF1941D2-F8F2-4BC3-B1A7-2F72D33D39FC.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I was at a swap meet and two guys were looking at the a section of a 48 Ford convertible with title. It was the part behind the doors and half way to the back half of the car. That was it. With the convertible top frame attached. They said at one time there were cars that were unrestorable. Not any more. I found a 59 Chevy convertible for a friend of mine. I was at a junkyard, it didn`t have a front clip and the quarters were torched off. It was unrecognizable until I saw it from the rear. I`m guessing someone used it for a parts car for a hardtop cause all the convertible parts were there. Impressive work sir.

BigO and loudbang like this.
  10. Unbelievable amount of shrinking was done on this. I think I have worn out a shrinking disc
    It needs a little more fine tuning and it will be ready to epoxy.
    The owner needs to fit his AC and cut the steering column for the new power box. And build the exhaust Then he can put it in the rotisserie to spray the floor

BigO, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  11. Trunk floor looks a lot better now
    C27897C9-3097-4301-9357-7DB264F39C23.jpeg

here is an engine hint
    64C143B4-F12D-450D-AB4F-3848C427F23E.jpeg

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Impressive work! Did the fact that the frame had been removed and powdercoated affect your work? I would think that you would have preferred to reinforce the rusty body prior to it being separated from the frame. Since it was off the frame would a rotisserie made the job easier, or was it so much work that wouldn’t made that much of a difference.

Do any of your students follow or assist with your vintage builds?

14. Try as I might, it's impossible to tell if there's a dipstick on the passenger side. The suspense...

loudbang likes this.
  15. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fifth post in this thread says it's a 348.

loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  16. The body was braced in the door area (doors removed) before the body was removed
    It was on a rotisserie for blasting. I also replaced the front floor pans while on the rotisserie.
    The owner assembled the powder coated chassis and suspension then we placed it on the frame
    All exterior panels have been welded with the body bolted to its sprung chassis, sheet metal aligned and with the weight of the engine and trans.
    The only issue the powder coat added was protecting it.

Students haven’t been involved with this one.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Can’t remember. It is a 59 block

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I feel your frustration with the owner being keen and having the frame coated before tackling the bodywork. Frame coating should be done last after everything else is done. Great work so far, kudos to you. You're a patient man:D

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  19. Lots of aluminum foil and tape
    Moving blankets protect it under the lift. Underneath the car is a mid rise scissor lift Helps save the old knees

Stogy likes this.
  20. I need to clarify. Some students do follow the builds on the HAMB. I did take a couple parts from the 59 to demonstrate heat shrinking and hammer/dolly work. I have had students work on small parts for other builds. We built the bottom of a 33 Plymouth grill at school for a fab demonstration. Some of my students view the HAMB regularly away from school. We do have a couple or threads posted here that highlight some of their work.

Stogy likes this.
  21. belair

belair

@anthony myrick -Don't want to de-rail this thread, but I have heard about those shrinking discs exploding. Wanted to try them but never have. What's your thoughts on them, and what kind do you use?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  22. I think it came from autobodytoolmart.com
    It is the flat version. I don’t think it works as quickly the wavy versions.
    I prefer the sun chaser version better but it works ok.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and belair like this.
  23. 8DE44479-F7DB-4605-B62F-77C3E7273353.jpeg
    The front sheet metal was s lot better than the rest. This is the worst spot on the front
    The styl line was all Bondo and below it was some serious balll peen hammer pounding. I lot of shrinking and dolly work later and it will have a lot less of that 1/2 inch of filler
    Still needs a little more. But very close. The rust colored areas is from the cracked bondo and will be blasted

24. Milestone tonight
    The major work is done
    Time for the owner to fit his AC then back on the rotisserie to refinish the bottom of the car
    This one got all 6 avalible floor patches fit and but welded in place. These were the first pieces I put in but finished up the welding tonight where I couldn’t when the braces were installed due to it being on a rotisserie in the beginning plus I like finishing things while bolted to its chassis.
    03925B5F-D517-4F6A-83CE-77DAE237AC19.jpeg

25. Also fixed where the truck horns used to be
    AF380732-96B1-433C-8C0A-A2C24830C25F.jpeg

Apparently this car sported a pair of big truck horns at one time

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its a milestone for me to chime in and see the great work you do @anthony myrick...Question for you...are going to apply these skills to a wild Hotrod someday and I know you and the student team are working on the Caddy but I'm talking yours and I know you have the wagon on the go...and what is your avatar...I'm curious?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    anthony myrick likes this.