Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rebuilt valve bodies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Dec 1, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Looks like something broke in the valve body so are rebuilts available or just let a trans shop fix it.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

What transmission are we querying and what leads to suspect the valve body over other possible causes? What are the symptoms, how does it not work properly? A bit hard to diagnosis given scant details; I feel sure that those more knowledgeable can assist with the prognosis?

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Look for his other threads re his gearbox issues.

4. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

This is the third thread on the Same subject by the Op.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its a Ford C-4,after I got home from the nightmare trip I talked to the owner of a trans shop near where I work and he said he never worked on a trans with a modulator valve so I do not want him to touch that valve body and probably going to have a hard time finding someone who knows the older trans,maybe its time for me to fix it but I would like someone with experience to look at it since I really do not know what I would be looking at if what ever is wrong is not that noticeable.

6. Dayton Ohio don't have any tranny shops more than 20 years Old? None of the new shops have a Tech working in them over 40 years Old? Wow,,,,
    The Wizzard

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There might be some but looks like I will have to find them,the guy I had rebuild that C-4 retired and sold the shop and will not let those morons touch it. Most of the old shops I knew of are gone now.

8. crossthread

crossthread

Hi, it may be to far away from you ,But Bills Transmission in Independence ky. Just south of Covington is a semi retired mech. working out of his shop at home. He has told me things about rebuilding my C4 trans. and the last time I was over there he had a race c4 waiting on the owner to pick up.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I found a shop to go to and I do have a shop manual that covers a C-4 and going to take apart the 2-3 shift valve and see what I can find.

10. Wow, is all I can say... a modulator valve is just that a valve in the valve body that controls main line pressure. If the tyranny “tech” is scared of that he has no business hanging a pine tree from the rear view mirror never mind opening up a transmission!!

A C4 is a simple trans that was used for years by ford the same ( basically) but smaller then the c6

A complete rebuild kit should not be much and a service manual should be available on line or you can order one from a transmission parts supplier.

Autostan and kingomatic are the big suppliers up here for automotive transmission parts.

If you have patience and time pull it apart your self and go through it.

Only special tools you will need are internal and external snap ring pliers and a drum press to take the drums apart. I’ve used large pipe with cut outs and lengths of metal tube set up like fingers in a regular shop press to get drums apart. Not a lot of force is required but you need to press down evenly.

Be clean and on disassembly lay everything out left to right and on assembly work right to left. That’s how I do it.

And as far as a “rebuilt” valve body I’ve never seen one sold that way, as if it’s not installed on the trans there is really no way to confirm correct operation.

Good luck, make one thread and stick to it and keep us posted

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Valve body are either good or bad. Can they go bad? yes. Sure one can replace with new or good old parts into one. But what about the worn out bores in the body it's self?

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I took the valve body apart as far as I had the nerves to do but nothing looked abnormal too me so time for a professional,I got the trans working with a spare valve body and it now has third but I took that trans out due to not regular shifting and the trans is acting like the old one so that valve body has some issues too but I can now drive the car. I also put the modulator valve from the spare trans on but the other is holding vacumn so I do not think that was the problem.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm not much for those "mechanic in a can" remedy's, but there are some that can help remove varnish and free up sticky valves. Might be worth it to check into.