Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What intake and carb set up to use on 99 mercury stroker engine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1933phaeton, Nov 25, 2018.

1. i jave recently completed a build of my 99 Mercury engine, specs as follows:
    Bore 3-3/16 + 0.125"
    Pistons arias forged 3 ring
    Stroke mercury 4" stroke crankshaft offset ground to 4-1/8"
    Rods 21A ford NOS with standard full floating bearings
    Large valves chev
    Adjustable hollow lifters
    Potvin 3-8 cam grind on original 59a cam
    All rotating assembly balanced

I have a choice of fuel systems (inlet and carbs) and I am looking for some guidance
    on which of the following intake and carb set ups to use:
    Edelbrock super duel 2x2 stromberg 97's rebuilt
    Edelbrock high rise 3x2 stromberg 97's rebuilt
    Fenton 2x2 rebuilt Holley 94's
    Weiand 3x2 rebuilt stromberg 97's

2. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

You haven't indicated street or race so I think you are going to get a some conflicting advice on this post and you might need to do some research and googling on engine displacement and carby size to make sure you are happy.

Whilst 3 x 3 look very cool unless you are racing it, then my understanding is that 3 x 3 is likely overkill for the street. You can of course use progressive linkages to tame it but a bit more difficult to tune.

From the research I have done 2 x 2 is a good combination for the street and motor cubes

3. Thanks for your response. The car is being built for street use and according to my calcs the displacement is 284ci. What I am looking for is the ideal inlet/carb combination for this build. I have a choice of 3x2 or 2x2 inlets and either Holley or stromberg cab set ups. I can't find any data on the weiand or Fenton inlets so hence my dilemma. Any further thoughts appreciated. I have progressive linkages on each of the 3x2 inlet structures.
    Regards David

LOU WELLS and rod1 like this.
  4. patterg2003

patterg2003

acme30, Black Fifty and Blues4U like this.

5. acme30 likes this.
  6. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

7. The truth is there is so little difference between manifolds performance wise that it boils down to what look you want.
    If you choose the super duel style you will be forced to move the generator off to the side or run an alternator. Neither option does not look very traditional.
    If you use the standard style the generator stays on top of the engine which looks more original.
    Your choice.
    2 carbs vs. 3 carbs boils down to tunability. 3 can be a pain.

Sent from my SM-J727V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. alchemy

alchemy

My 99 engine is bored 3-3/8 with a Merc 4" crank, two 97's on a highrise Weiand. But mine needs more cam.

9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Thanks to all for your advice and feedback. I will start with 2x2 and see how I go. David

11. Garpo

Garpo

John Lawson's book "Flathead Facts" is worth a read. Dyno runs with different carbs and manifolds Has answers to many questions.
    Garpo

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Most flat heads don't need 3 carbs but with progressive linkage 3 carbs probally give better fuel distribution

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

" I will start with 2x2 and see how I go"...I suggest starting with a triple and a block-off plate. Then you can experiment freely without going bankrupt. I'd suggest an old Edelbrock or Offy...the new ones have ...things...that annoy me, aside from not being old. Look for one with heat (see Lawson's book!!), and I don't see why a triple linkage would not work when experimenting as dual.
    Your engine is actually fairly big as flatheads go.
    The dual is a no-brainer, should definitely work well. On the triple experiment start with the linkage adjusted solid for fulltime, then drive it. If there is a major stumble, readjust linkage for some delay, if minor linkage try some tuning or just program your right foot a bit.
    Use '42-48 types of distributor, with brake set towards loose end. Most multi carb air cleaners are garbage, working as chokes, tune with no aircleaners, then test them on there. You need the cleaners, but the easy choices are mostly garbage...

Moriarity and sunbeam like this.