Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Early Dodge Touring ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Nov 20, 2018.

1. scotts52

scotts52

1464931585462.jpg 2636182-2b54744dd7d962f3b9aa8be6ef834fed.jpg Looking for some help. I just unburied and drug home a Dodge touring. My question is this: Are all Dodge tourings basically the same from 1916-1922 or are there differences? What are the commonalities from 1923-? I want to figure out what year I have so I can go about finding parts. I've IMG_20181119_140456083.jpg Screenshot_2018-11-19-22-36-15.png looked online and some of the things that are stumping me most is is the front "horns" that are bolted to the frame and the rear brackets that hold the spare tire "hanger" in place. I'm not seeing anything that matches but maybe that's just because of the way the pictures are. so pictures. IMG_20181119_140519067.jpg

34 GAZ likes this.
  2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I think yours is going to be a 1920, perhaps earlier. I think the windshield is mounted a little differently in 1922. I have the rear of a '22 here, but it is really rough. The cowl got hauled away about 10 years ago by some well-meaning, but unfortunately misguided, people.

3. Nice find. I,ll bet that digging :eek: brought the sweat out .

4. exterminator

exterminator

Cool find. Needs just a little bodywork.

5. Are you sure it's a Dodge?
    I agree it looks pre '20 whatever it is.

6. Squablow

Squablow

I always thought the Dodge had a round bead in the firewall that looked a bit like a sun with rays shooting off of it, although that could be a 23-up thing. Good save, whatever it is.

7. scotts52

scotts52

Yes, it's definitely Dodge. The dash identifies it as such.

It did. It was dug out over several evenings. A few beers may have been involved too. :rolleyes:

I actually dug it out twice. First time I'd dug it out I couldn't get any help to drag it out of the hole and down to the road. Then I went through a divorce and such. In the meantime the hole filled back in, maybe worse.
    I got remarried a couple years later and my new wife helped me dig it out and get it set up out of the hole. There it sat for another couple years. It bugged me that we'd worked so hard to dig it out and hadn't brought it home. Life gets busy and so on. Starting to freeze here now and I thought if I don't drag that home now, the ground will freeze it solid and then in spring it might slide back into the hole and get buried again. It was quite a ways up the field from the road and was in a draw between two wheat fields. This is what made it so difficult to get to. I decided yesterday was the day. It was either coming home or I needed to forget about it. Took the day off from work and since my daughter also didn't have school, I took her with me. I devised a way to get my truck up and over the embankment so I could get near it with a chain. (This meant I had to have 4wd). Hooked it up and let my daughter drive the truck while I directed her. She loves getting to drive and this really filled her heart since I was trusting her with such a big task as well as trusting her with my truck. 20 minutes later we had it down to the trailer and ready to load. :D

Took it home and power washed it so I don't have anymore dirt holding moisture.

8. noboD

noboD

Give us a GOOD picture of the dashboard. That will tell the tale. The serial number is under the passenger seat on the cross member.

9. Definately Dodge going by those cast steel windscreen posts with the distinctive double screen pivot points and the way they insert into the cowl, also the curvature of the cowl top and the internal front door hinges ..........Thomas McPhersons "The Dodge Story" notes and shows that from 1920 onwards the open car windscreen posts angled back a few degrees, rather than the straight upright post prior to 1920..........good score whatever...........Andy Douglas

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That's a good story, too bad you didn't have an Amphicat too pull it out with.

11. scotts52

scotts52

Here's what I refer to as the front frame horns as well as a clear picture of the dash. Hopefully this will help narrow down the year. The frame has a lot of pitting. Not too sure about being able to find or read any serial numbers. IMG_20181121_082753648_TOP.jpg IMG_20181121_082836318.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Those "frame horns" are actually brackets for an aftermarket bumper. They look to be crudely welded to the frame.

13. Looks like the ID patent plate with serial number is no longer on the seat base.

14. scotts52

scotts52

Good to know. They're actually bolted and conform to the frame so I thought they were stock. The crude weld look comes from rusting together.

31Dodger likes this.
  15. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

You must have to much time on your hands to dig that up,LOL.

16. noboD

noboD

31 Dodger is correct as usual. The serial number is stamped in the frame cross member not on the Budd ID tag. It would be sort of under in front of the seat. Numbers should be about 3/8 to 1/2 inch and very faint. Maybe light sanding will bring it up or Bluto's acid trick. I thought in the other picture that it had a glove box {actually called a goggle box} but now I see it doesn't. That would make it late '17 to '20 without the box.

classiccarjack likes this.
  17. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

18. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

My first wife was aweful, I sold off all of my car collection except one car to make her happy. Sadly, no matter what I did, she was never happy. After finally coming to the conclusion that she Can't Understand Normal Thinking... I divorced, took one hell of a beating, and never felt happier.

My new wife, who I met a couple of years later, respects my hobby. I now have another collection and we do everything together.

I guess you and I got lucky the second time around..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. I see what you did there

classiccarjack and 31Dodger like this.
  20. A woman who will help you dig an old car out of the dirt is definitely a keeper. You're lucky that the car still has a frame under it. Lots of old car bodies got dumped in ravines so the frames could be used to make hay wagons and such for use on the farm. I know the whereabouts of a 'teens vintage Dodge frame, axles, and wheels still being used like that. It's at a produce stand/plant nursery on Wise Ave. in Dundalk (suburban Baltimore) MD.

classiccarjack and scotts52 like this.
  21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

22. scotts52

scotts52

It's hibernating out back. My goal was to save it from it's grave. It may only be worth parts. It's going to sit there for awhile while I tend to other things. When I finally get some time and money, I'll either take a chance at trying to fabricate what's rotted or I'll find another to help make one out of the two.

classiccarjack likes this.