Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951 BelAir Inline 6 Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Spidermonkey11, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Spidermonkey11

Spidermonkey11

Hey all, new to the site.

I am looking for some tuning advice. I recently purchased a 1951 Bel-Air with a 1955-57 235 motor/powerglide trans.

Recently I put a Fenton dual single barrel intake with rebuilt Rochester BC carbs. When I was finished it ran BA, nice and smooth.

The next day on the other hand, not so much. It idles fine, but when you put it in gear and under load, it sputters/pops and will shut off.

Any thoughts would be helpful. My plan was to take the carbs off and double check things to make sure the jet wasn't plugged or something simple was off.

Thanks!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. studebaker46

studebaker46

go over all your intake mounting bolts and carb to intake bolts these are notorious for coming loose tf that is all good check for vacuum leaks i.e. wiper motor dist modulator on trans as it sounds like a vacuum leak Tom

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Pull a plug, see if it’s black. The new carbs could be running rich and seem to run fine, until they foul a plug. Two minute check.

Bones

Spidermonkey11 and RMONTY like this.
  4. Spidermonkey11

Spidermonkey11

Thanks guys!

Tom - I’ll check the wiper motor to see if that is leaking.

Bones - is there a company you recommend for main jet assortments for these BC’s? I believe that they are running rich for sure, dual pipes I just put on are black.

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m not familiar with those carbs, but we have a expert on carbs, here on the HAMB. Look for CarbKing, I’m sure he can get anything you need. Most of the time if a carb is running rich, it’s not the jets, unless someone has changed them. Float level, bad float, bleeds plugged, things such as this are usually the problem.

Bones

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  6. 6inarow

6inarow

In my opinion those carbs will give you problems. do a quick search and you will find a lot of posts on that carb. In the dual carb set up its compounded. Might consider some Carter YFs or W1A but thats just my opinion.