Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most "Era Correct" rear end?

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by robsimmons, Nov 19, 2018.

1. robsimmons

robsimmons

I know "rears & gears" aren't as closely scrutinized for era correctness and folks use pretty much whatever suits them, but....

Are the "banjo" type rear differentials like the Ford 8" and 9" or Mopar 8 3/4" more suited to the era than the style with the removable rear cover?

I've got a couple options of either type, so I'd prefer to be more true to the era if it matters.

Thanks!

2. I do not understand what you are asking.

If you are looking for an era correct strong rear with a removable third member look for a 57-64 Pontiac/Olds rear

These were the rear of choice in the early to late sixties in drag racing and use very often in dragsters
    MICKEY THOMPSON made Magnesium 3rd members for them
    Check with Fab Craft for parts
    https://fabcraftmetalworks.com/prod...d-New-Ring--Pinion-Gear-Set-by-Vintage-Gears/
    upload_2018-11-19_14-13-29.png upload_2018-11-19_14-22-23.png upload_2018-11-19_14-22-50.png upload_2018-11-19_14-32-39.png upload_2018-11-19_14-33-24.png upload_2018-11-19_14-34-20.png

31hotrodguy likes this.
  3. bobw

bobw

Nobody's looking. Old6 has a small Mopar rear end. I used a 9" Ford. 8" Fords are a bit lighter than a 9".

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Actually, he's inquiring as to late '40s/ early '50s practices rather than Glory Days era. That's our period in HA/GR.

I went with an 8" Ford from a first gen Falcon when I spit the spiders on the 7.250" Mopar (about five years ago I think). It's 35lbs heavier than the 7.250", but decidedly lighter than a 9". It has a 4.500" lug pattern rather than the 7.250"s 4" pattern. Better brakes as well. Got a mini spool for it shortly after that (didn't want to weld "things", that'd be a bit TOO period for my safety tastes :rolleyes:). Kept the 8" when I swapped the short & long axles for the present offset drive line. Considering a full spool, now that one's available (maybe next season).

A proper three piece banjo'd be about as correct as you could get though. Our period would also include early quick change stuff (especially banjo style). Also, nearly any torque tube'er would be in keeping.

That being said, even a more modern "pumpkin" style 8" or 9" looks a bit like a torque tube'er to the guy losing to you. Hell, you could even add some cap screw heads around the "bowl" just to mess with folks. ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018

5. robsimmons

robsimmons

I like the 8" Ford option. It has the right look, 4.5" bolt pattern, lighter, cheaper and a little easier to find than 9" or 8 3/4" and parts availability is decent. I have an 8" in my Duster with a mini spool and 4.62 gears.

Pull a Parts don't have many these days, so I stopped by a small local salvage yard and poked around under a couple early Mustangs and a Galaxy. The Mustangs were all 4 bolt pattern. The Galaxy likely was a 9", but I couldn't get up under it enough to tell.

I'll have to pick Old6rodder's brain when it comes time to move things around for the offset. ;-)

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I'm running 4.62s in the 'Brick as well, on 30" diameter hides. My 100 mph mark hits right around 5300 rpm.

7. robsimmons

robsimmons

I think mine are 29". The Duster weighs 2,653 with me in it, so I'm about 1,333 lbs heavier than you. I've only hit about 91 MPH in the 1/4 and I cross the finish at around 5700 RPM.

I stopped by the salvage yard at lunch. The Galaxy rear is indeed a 9" ($120) or I can have the 8 3/4 out of a '67(?) New Yorker for $100. I have a couple 8 1/4s sitting around already, but then I wouldn't have "the look"...

The Galaxy and New Yorker will both be fairly wide. How wide is the rear on the Brick? A Falcon is probably around 4-6" narrower...(?)

8. robsimmons

robsimmons

I did a little Googling about the early Mustang 4 lug pattern... Same bolt pattern (4X4.5/114.3mm) as some other offshore brand with a huge following that will remain nameless, so I should be able to find wheels without too much effort after all... Those are narrower 8" and would probably be even cheaper than the already cheap 9" or 8 3/4... Hmmm...

9. I had no problem getting the four bolt axles drilled for a Chevrolet bolt pattern and studs in an 8 inch I put in my Model A.

I drilled the drums myself.

The eight inch was out of a V8 Mustang II. Perfect for the model A.

Phil

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

49.500" backing plate mount flange to same (plus three sawzall kerfs).

Yeah. re-poking lug holes is no sweat. Use a drill press if you aren't steady. I put some 5.500" pattern Kelsey wires on the 4" pattern Valiant rear the first couple seasons of the Barn Job #18 that way. Had to add a stepped ring for the inner seat of course, but the axle flanges managed just fine.

11. robsimmons

robsimmons

I'll head back over there and poke around some more and ask about the 8"ers in the Mustangs. There is one MII with a 302 and 8" as well.

I thought the MII would be narrower than the early Mustangs, but some more Googling looks like they are both 56" track width.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018