Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A radiator support rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

My 29 has a Bitchin firewall and this is how it came to me. It bothers me a bit with the radiator support rods running downhill towards the cab. Is this the norm or do most mount them so they run horizontally? 20181112_171426 (2).jpg 20181112_171406 (2).jpg

Stogy likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are too low...this looks to be an original cowl...I have a similar situation but basically straight op and more holes to fill...dang...:D

[​IMG]

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd raise them like above...

Barn Hunter likes this.
  4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I have seen them go uphill, go downhill. Stock they should have been straight and almost level. Now trick of the day, right behind where it attaches to radiator side, do 2 45 degree bends very tight(1 down and 1 up) and you can adjust for the rad tabs being too high very easily. The double bend reuses what you have and gets them looking straight like they should be.

Most of the times the supports look like this is the radiator was either aftermarket, or re done with something different. This car is 100% orig. and the rods are very minimal off angle from frame angle. As they say the devil is in the details, and my prior model a rad supt rods 100% lined up, looked very clean and probably no one hardly noticed but i did.

Attached Files:

• 29-3.jpg
      29-3.jpg
      File size:
      213.8 KB
      Views:
    Barn Hunter likes this.

5. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

x2 on raising firewall mounts. But have fun if original tank is still in the way.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  6. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks, I knew it was wonky. The gas tank is gutted, so I can relocate the mounts. The double bend will work without drilling/filling holes. You're right about the details, got to get things right.

Stogy likes this.
  7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Not that it matters too much and like suggested you can change the height of the firewall connect points, but is it possible you have the 30/31 front cross member in your chassis which has a slightly higher raised pad where the radiator sits???

Barn Hunter likes this.
  8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

On an original '29 tank the bracket is roughly 1 and 5/16" down from the top, yours are way too low.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  9. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

or you can flip the bracket on the radiator end ..that will lower the front,

Barn Hunter likes this.