Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dent removal in the top of my Mullins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 16, 2018.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What he said but fill both ice chest and trailer with ice and beer. Start drinking from the trailer, by the time you empty that, the weight of the ice chest should have pushed the bump out of the lid. If it does, celebrate by emptying the ice chest. If it doesn't, console yourself with the knowledge you gave it a good try and empty the ice chest while you come up with plan B.

2. upspirate

upspirate

Danny, just take it as is.....don't wash it.
    Metal will dent, not fiberglass....people will think it's a barn-find.
    Also, I wouldn't use a heat gun or flame to heat, may burn the finish.
    I'd prop it up, weight it, and set a 110v heater under but not close enough to heat up enough to burn it and let it set for a while

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. patterg2003

patterg2003

Similar to Mike Atwaters solution. The lid has a flange that runs around the trailer at the same level so that it is a flat reference line. I wonder if you made a plywood or a 2x lumber box to support the majority of the flange. The lid could be put in the box upside down and the sides of the lid gently clamped to the box. If the lid can be depressed in the center to its natural shape then that dept could be measured from a straight edge across the flanges. The box cut on a table saw to the finished depth that is required with a bit extra to allow for spring back. The lid & box could be set on something soft on the garage floor and gentle warmed and coaxed back into its original shape with the cushioned floor as the stop. Once you have it on the floor then some weight could be added to hold the shape while & after it is being warmed to give it new memory. Some old pant legs with sand would make good weights.

If the lid oil cans when it is done then put the weights in it upside in the box and make some foam ribs about 1/2 to 3/4" x 1-1/2w then glue them to the lid in both directions. If the lid looks right then put a couple layers of fiberglass and resin over the ribs. That will significantly stiffen the lid to hold its shape.

4. Now that's a novel idea! :D HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Lots of good ideas on here. If all else fails, lids are available for $250 in the Mullins Club newsletter. But a rustic, patinad glass one would be pretty rare. The Mullins Owners Club PO Box 387,Hardy AR. 72542 Give them a try.

6. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

O.K., Danny. TOO much trouble to do all that prep, etc., etc.

Here's the 'final solution':
    Buy $4.75 worth of adhesive- edged strip foam, 1/2" X 3/4", like they seal household doors with.
    Carefully apply the seal around the perimeter of the flange, so it closes airtight.
    Now, drill a 1/2" hole in the front of the lower tub, above the line of the frame tongue.
    Insert a threaded and rubber washered schrader valve, tighten it and pump the trailer up to 125 P.S.I., then roll it out under the sun. Check it with the gauge periodically for excessive pressure build up, as the 'POP!' you might hear may NOT be the lid merely popping back into shape...Don't want to "moon" Mullins!:eek:

chryslerfan55 and 56premiere like this.
  8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut out the crater/dent, turn it over, glass it back in. wa-la. :rolleyes:

Fordor Ron and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Oh you don't want to do this. It'll turn the blanket to wool and make you itch.......

10. A Boner

A Boner

Hang the trailer upside down. Open the lid, and put the ice chest (with the same amount of water in it) on the inside of the lid while carefully closing the lid. Leave it hang the same amount of time as it took to originally screw it up. Try to keep the heat similar to the original warping situation too.
    Good luck!

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Better yet ship the trailer to someone in Australia (down under) so that the top can find it's own way back into shape. :D:D

OFT, RICH B and a boner like this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

Don't have any helpful hints. It's just that I've never seen a Mullins trailer - repro or otherwise with a side door. I would add windows and use it as a camping trailer.

13. I have never seen one with a side door either. Where did you see one?

Charlie Stephens

14. What you perceive to be a side door is noting but a optical illusion, it's a short set of hand trucks and what you are seeing is the handle.

BTW, I have been procrastinating about the trailer, I still haven't dug it out. HRP

[​IMG]

The37Kid likes this.
  15. A Boner

A Boner

Wow, you really know how to procrastinate! And I thought I was good.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. It's just been 8 months, there in now a interior in the old beater, the 50 coupe is running up and down the road, I'm remodeling the old garage and turning it into living space for our daughter, I have been busy with other projects. HRP

ffr1222k and Blue One like this.
  17. spanners

spanners

Plus he's been bringing up his post count. No time for trailers.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

So, the Mullins finally got onto the 'back burner'?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. I think you may be correct Mike! :D HRP

20. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Looking forward to the up coming posts about greasing the wheel bearings and changing the tires. :)

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

My eyesight let's me down again.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.