Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A slowly but surely build project - 1950 Olds Club Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loosewheel, Nov 13, 2018.

1. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

lookin' good, real good.

loosewheel likes this.
  2. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

'63 fullsize Pontiac.

low budget likes this.
  3. One of the prettiest cars ever to come out of Detroit.

loosewheel likes this.
  4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Very nice looking Olds for sure. Like seeing all the different ways they are built. Here is a pic of my dad's '50 Olds probably in 56-57. thumbnail (49).jpg thumbnail (50).jpg

kidcampbell71, belair, 302GMC and 4 others like this.
  5. That is Sweet!! Never seen one modified quite like that. Really cool front bumper & grill!!

6. Yes Don it sure is. Tony was a good bit older than me & my group of hot rod friends. Madison didn't have a lot of Hot Rodders, but Tony was one who would always happy to talk & help us through our projects. Great guy!!
    First time I saw this car was at a A&W cruise in around 87, first car I ever saw with Flame Throwers. It was love at first sight!!

7. Cool shots of your Dad's 50!! Killer stance! What year was the photos taken?

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

56-57ish Someone else asked how he lowered it, and I have no idea.

loosewheel likes this.
  9. Just this past summer I was talking to someone about Tony and I wondered what became of his coupe. Glad someone who knew him got it. Tony was a great guy. He was the first hot rodder who befriended me when I moved here. We were in a club together but it kinda faded away.

loosewheel likes this.
  10. dwollam

dwollam

Man I do love those '49-'50 Olds coupes! Nice score.

Dave

11. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love these cars my '50 from a few years back. 46101445_1132309590267719_388888724349386752_n.jpg

12. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Great car and a what a start to a nice mild Kustom good luck with it

13. 'Mo

'Mo

!!!

loosewheel likes this.
  14. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Like your car ,good luck. I've had lots of 50 Olds. My favorite is the 2 dr sedan. Had several of these.

loosewheel likes this.
  15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The '50 Olds is a huge part of many old guy memories ... the tan wagon was a 3 speed.
    HPIM9217.JPG HPIM9219.JPG HPIM9230.JPG HPIM9233.JPG HPIM9239.JPG

16. Love 'em. I'd almost swap my 34 for that car...almost.
    My buddy, Eddie has put many, many 49-51 olds' together. My favorite was his early 49 factory experimental coupe with early V/8....was smaller than a 303 and kind of a test mule engine. Had the dealer installed "windowed" hood.

17. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Never heard of this. I had a red 50 conv and a green 50 wagon.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I was born a year earlier or the guy that owned it sold it a year later my first car would have been a 49 Olds coupe that sat in the driveway in my neighborhood. nosed and decked, louvered hood, faded candy red paint, rusty chrome wheels with pinner white walls, a California rake and the coolest red and white tuck and roll interior of all time. this was in 1975-76. we used to ride our bicycles over and check it out on a regular basis. inside the garage was a faded yellow full fendered 32 roadster with an Olds, Pontiac or Cad motor. only saw the roadster peeking through the window. when I was 15 I saw the Olds for sale in the local paper for like $1,000.00 then it was gone.:( bought my 49 Chevy a year later.:)

funny thing is none of the old HOT ROD guys who lived nearby at the time remembered it when I grew up and got to know them and asked about it. in the mid 70's it was so outdated, it would be quite the find these days.

Saxman, loosewheel and 302GMC like this.
  20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Here’s a local one that blows me away C7A00E4C-79E5-451C-9C2D-434AA6DA2533.jpeg

54EARL, jebbesen, olscrounger and 7 others like this.
  21. ssrodder

ssrodder
    from NE PA

Good luck with your project. Guy across the street from my house when I was in high school had one that he brought back from California when he was in the service. Every morning when he started it I would run to the front window to see it pull away. It had dual exhaust and a great sound. I always wanted one, but it never happened. He got rid of it when I was away at college. Never saw it again. Maybe someday, but I doubt it. To many projects to finish and not enough time left. Enjoy it. I envy you.

Saxman, loosewheel and big duece like this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That's a neat model, I have a couple the new ones, they look very correct until you look at the bottom side, and see those parallel rear springs.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty
    I've been expecting to see a photo of that red beauty of yours.
    Anxiously!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I had a 49 fastback in the mid-60's, always wanted a coupe. In 84 I found one, bought a total of 8 cars to build the nicest one I could. Mine has the same front clip as yours, 455, 9" rear, mounted with GM intermediate coils, utilizing the original rear arms. It was painted and upholstered in 96, all of the chrome is done, and the stainless trim is still wrapped in 1987 newspapers. Too many race cars, and customer work has kept me from finishing it. I even thought about a concession, "Rocket Simulator Rides, 50 cents". Maybe someday I can get it wrapped up. 2012-11-27 165602.jpg 2012-09-28 091022.jpg 2012-09-28 091054.jpg 2012-09-28 091516.jpg

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

26. donno

donno

Been lusting my whole life for a '50 Olds.. 1960, I'm stationed @ Bunker Hill AFB, Indiana. Worked with a guy Jerry Ragalani. He owned a '50 Holiday for years. He was leaving the Air Force and had a '55 Chevy and a Mustang scooter. He thought about selling the Olds and I made an offer, I believe we agreed on $700.00. Come hand shake time, monies on the table, he changed his mind. I was unhappy to say the least, it was his car. ( I'm STILL LOOKIN')

loosewheel likes this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wow...That 'Windowed Hood!!!' An old pal of mine in San Jose (Mel Barton) had a '49 Olds coupe with the windowed hood. I thought it looked a little 'rank', but didn't know it was a Factory thing.
    Mel bought it with a '56 engine, Weiand intake, 2 WCFBs, some chrome goodies, 'Bling!'
    "Let's go to Santa Cruz!" Weekend evening, the boardwalk was swinging, 34 miles over 'the hill'.
    We were on h'wy 17, going up the mountain h'wy 6 miles or so, Mel powers a left sweeper, and then...Bump! We hit the steel barrier guard rail at about 60, then airborne.
    The huge trees tower higher than the highway, the forest floor is 90 feet down.
    Whump! into the limbs of 'the big trees', like open arms. Then everything stopped...
    Mel shut off the engine, the tree trunk was on my side...Mel said we'd better get out MY side, but the door only opened a foot or so, pitch black out there, the headlights left on 'for light'. Hah! Light, my eye. I slid out, Mel followed...window was down on my side, I was holding on to the door, Mel barely slid his stout frame thru.
    Then the climb down. Pitch black, one branch, test...the branches were thick, hell, they were holding a CAR (not a light one!) above us...A fear was the branches breaking and the car coming down on us.
    We must have descended for 15 minutes, maybe more. Finally! Terra Firma, on the ground!
    Looked up, an eerie sight was the headlights and the 'prism' they made...thru all the thickness of thick pine branches...
    Finally, after a walk alungside the mountain below road we found a pathway that went 'west', along the road, and up. That took more time than...Anyway, when we got to the road, CHP was already there, we looked off the road and you could see the headlights, and some of the front fenders... (shiver)
    CHP took us back to Los Gatos, where the highway up the hill started.
    Two tow trucks to get the Olds, don't know just how, but it was in good shape, other than front bumper and fenders and that weird hood...wrinkled pretty good.
    The guard rail had been bent from initial impact, and the way it was bent down looked like a ramp! Tire marks, too, so that was what happened.
    Mel fixed the Olds, kept the weird window hood, but had a standard one on it when he repainted the car.
    Olds in a tree. Surprised the news never got a pic and ran it.
    You'd think I'd be afraid of trees. Never think about 'em...

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mike
    How come YOU had all the fun (and luck).
    Great story, no seriously, I believe them all.

belair likes this.
  29. .....Which ones are showing leaf springs, Marty, the Mobious Models version? This one is the Revell version and it has the coil spring rear. 121-vi (3).jpg