Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for advice on whitewall tire sources

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brokedownbiker, Nov 14, 2018.

1. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '41 Chev sedan currently has black-wall tires with red rims, beauty rings, and re-pop stock-style hubcaps. I'm thinking I want to go with whitewalls and full-sized hubcaps (haven't decided on the 'caps yet) so I stopped by the two local tire shops in town to get quotes; to make a long story short, between both shops they only had two sources. One place quoted me on Coker tires, the other on Cooper tires.
    Is the market that small for whitewalls?
    If anyone has info on tire sources, please post them; I'd like to have more than just those two choices.
    Thanks!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. Jeremy Shay

Jeremy Shay
    from Las Vegas

4. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

diamond back, have had 3 sets, wear great, great white walls easy clean with simple green, super white. my vote. quick ship.

olscrounger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Can't go wrong with Diamondbacks. I've had one set on my '55 ever since it hit the streets in 2011...two trips to Canada (over 10,000 miles), eight summers of rod running (approximately 10K-12K per summer) and they are just now starting to show signs of wear...

R- IMG_0395.JPG

olscrounger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

IMG_4079.jpg Diamondbacks for me too.

Lee

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Diamondbacks. If you want a certain width, ask, they did it for me. image.jpeg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Slopok

Slopok

Diamondback carries Coopers.

11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I know there have been many complaints here about the Coker tires but I put a set of the American Classic radial WW 600/16 on my 46 Chevy in 2015 and they balanced easily. Have over 9,000 miles on them and lots of wear remaining. Just put a set of the same model radials in 670/15 ww on the 50 Plymouth Deluxe I bought this summer and did my first test drive yesterday and they are balanced perfect. They even were able to put all weights on back side of tires. Coker is an alliance Vendor & you can get around $50 or so discount on a set if you give them your Alliance # when you order.
    I know Diamondacks have a great reputation but I have had NO problems with my Coker American Classic Radials.
    Now I just need to rack up a bunch of miles on the Plymouth to find all the little stuff that always pops up when a car has sat unused for a bunch of years. Previous owner had had it 10 years and it had a 2012 inspection sticker So stuff will begin to show up.

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My roadster was purchased as a rolling chassis that previous owner lost interest and gave up early in the build, but he had already equipped it with Coker bias WWs. I used, but hated, the things for several years. They made me appreciate.how much better cars drive with radials, as it had been many years since I had used any bias ply tires. The rubber was so hard that on concrete if you spun them it simply made the old concrete white again, somewhat like an eraser on a pencil. They followed every irregularity in the road surface, making constant corrections necessary.
    When I decided on replacing them, and the Cooper WW are only available in a few sizes and with a narrow white stripe, not a wide white.
    I wound up with Diamondbacks and like them a lot. The longtime friend and tire store owner who mounted and balanced them for me was relieved that I hadn't bought Cokers, saying the last set he mounted and balanced took as much as eleven (11) oz. to balance.
    Will caution you to be sure to keep them at a higher pressure as excessive flex can cause delamination of the white band. I run 38# in the fronts on a '31 "A" SBC powered roadster with 165 X15 tires on front.