Register now to get rid of these ads!

MN guys BIR info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Landwehr, Jul 31, 2006.

1. B.I.R. has been SOLD to a young money guy (31 w 2 young kids) :eek: , he plans to emphasize improving on + MORE road racing and KEEP the Drag strip , info in Brainerds local paper. Heard about it today from a drag racer buddy.

2. From what I hear it was one of the guys who was trying to put together a track down here in the south metro (Minnesota Dragways)

3. News Release
    July 27, 2006

Brainerd International Raceway sold to Forest Lake family.
    Brainerd, Mn. - Brainerd International Raceway, Minnesota’s premier motor sports facility long held by Sports Resorts International Inc., a Michigan based company, has been sold to BIR Holdings LLC, held by Jed and Kristi Copham of Forest Lake MN. The facility will be known as “Brainerd International Raceway and Resort”.

Together, along with Sports Resorts CEO Donald J.Williamson, they take great pleasure in making this announcement for the Brainerd racetrack that has long played a historical significance in the Minnesota Motorsports landscape and Brainerd community. The 600 acre facility plays host each year to numerous automobile and motorcycle events including the renowned National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) 25th annual National Event scheduled for August 10 – 13, 2006.

“As the Mayor of Flint Michigan, and my wife Patsy Lou running for State Senate, we are focusing our efforts within our local community” commented Donald Williamson. “We have owned the Brainerd facility since 1994 and continued to invest each year with numerous capital improvements. We feel this has continued to make BIR a great destination for thousands of motorsports fans and racers”. Williamson stated “they are pleased to have kept the 6-unit condominium building on the lake and sincerely wish the Cophams as much fun and success as we have had. We would also like to thank the Brainerd community for their support and continued well wishes for the new owners.”

“As amateur road racers and occasional drag racers, my family and I are excited about the purchase of BIR” said Jed Copham. “Like many around the State of Minnesota and the Midwest, our family has been coming to BIR for years as participants and spectators. The opportunity for our company to purchase this facility and continue it’s legacy is a welcomed challenge we look forward to for many years to come. My transition team is eager to continue the work that has taken place in this wonderful facility and we especially look forward to developing new relationships within the Brainerd area and all throughout the motorsports community”.

“We want to welcome Mr. and Mrs. Copham into the NHRA family and look forward to working with them and the entire staff at Brainerd International Raceway for years to come,” said Peter Clifford, Executive Vice President and General Manager, NHRA. “Given their personal involvement in racing, we are confident that as owners of the facility, they will make sure the needs of both the fans and the racing community are met and will be a great asset to the Brainerd community.”

Future plans for BIR include a continuance of the current drag racing programs and road course racing programs while searching for new racing events for BIR’s patrons and racing customers. Additional plans may include a revision of the current road course configuration with a goal of separating the current drag strip from the track’s main straightaway. As allowed, additional configuration changes may see a new but separate and shorter road course design using turn’s 2, 3, 4, and 5 on the current road course. Although BIR’s famed 3 mile road course will continue to be an option for users, the construction of a shorter track will allow more options for multiple uses within the facility.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. A bud called from Brainerd ,the paper there did a big write up on him/it, He did'nt mention that but i'd beleive it, they were not having any luck down there. no civic cooperation at all and just empty promises. I heard a rumor and that is all it is, that NASCAR may be in on this as well.

5. Scotch

Scotch

Apparently, improvements are planned...

I wish 'em the best - I'm glad it's still locally owned!

~Scotch~

6. “As amateur road racers and occasional drag racers, my family and I are excited about the purchase of BIR”

Here's a prediction. The sports car "racer" will fuck everything up. :(

7. Ruiner

Ruiner

I could see NASCAR expanding to this region...I just wish there were more dedicated drag strips locally...it would be nice to hold more nostalgia drag racing events where people from the metro and southern MN area could go there without wasting 4+ hours on the road...glad to see it's once again locally owned, I hope it works out for him and his family...

8. After reading the article it might have been the guy who was trying to put a track up by Pine City, not the group from down south. But glad it's locally owned and that drag racing will still be there as there were rumors that the track was done with racing.

9. Thank you Jed for keeping Brainerd Raceway a fun and safe place.Owner and racer,you were always there to help a guy out.........Rest in Peace

10. googled him , passed away on Sunday the 11th. he was 46 years old

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018