Register now to get rid of these ads!

pics of 53-54 Studebakers wanted! Gassers,Bonneville,Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrland, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Hi!

I would like to se some pics on cool Studebakers buildt as Gassers, Bonneville style or Customs!! please show me some pictures ................

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Here's mine - primarily stock with Stude-only upgrades (later full-flow 289 w/ported heads, later Hawk brakes, got a GT sway bar coming, reinforced frame, etc)

Plans are to lower it slightly - do something different with the rolling stock (got some moon-style covers, but am considering ARE Salt-Flats or similar).

Attached Files:

3. rixrex

rixrex

Ernie...what and where is the best way to have the Stude heads ported and polished?. Stude guys are telling me that if I find a side mount Paxton the supercharger will fit in the 53 without cutting the hood, I think I'm going to do the Turner disc brake conversion also..any thoughts,experiences?..I'm in Austin Tx....rixrex

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is my old one..

[​IMG]

-Abone.

5. rixrex

rixrex

Norland...go to racingstudebakers.com PanaAmericanaroadrace.com or nitrogeezers.com cool Studebakers, the revived Pan American road race in Mexico the 53 Studebaker is the car of choice..one guy said they were getting 180mph across some of the desert flats, when they changed to the 53 body they scooted to 220!.....

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I had this work done to my vision of a 53 Stude. driver.

7. Thanks for the links rixrex!

8. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

not mine

Attached Files:

9. I have a repp on this car in a Rod and custom from 2 years back or something! Really cool ride....

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I bought mine with the heads already done. I bought the car in...Austin! Just picked it up a month or so ago.

I'm considering the Turner disc brake conversion & dual M/C too. Looking into the electronic distributor too. Dual exhaust is a must, but I'm debating shelling out $375 for the cast iron headers...:(

Mine has an R1/R2 cam too.

Been contemplating changing carb (currently 600 Edelbrock) to something a bit different (2x2 or 2x4 Caddy) - I have a 2x2, but getting carbs & filters to fit under the hood is the challenge. Currently battling a surge - not sure if it's carb or ignition. Runs well enough I haven't bothered with it too much yet.

I don't know the CR on mine, so I'd be hesitant to pop a blower on it - of course w/low boost, it should be fine so long as I could keep it from pinging.

Popped the moon-style discs on (these are ss no-names).

Attached Files:

11. Have anybody built a cool Gasser or Custom on a 53/54 Studebaker?

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I gotta say a Gasser '53/54/55 Stude wouldn't look right IMHO.

Customs, yeah, but usually only mild customs. Having said that, there was one on here last month that had a re-designed front end (quad headlights?) & fins like the later Studes/Hawks - it was a barn find, but someone found some history on it. Try a search.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  13. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

14. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

really? I took the pics posted at new england dragway in 2004, i love that car, so simple.

15. Could give you the issue nr and year if you want? Just have to find the magazine...

16. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Tom Bacon's car, from CT. Featured in R&C August '04. Has a 500ci Cad motor and a louvered belly pan. Really nice car with a ton of cool details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Here's mine, More of a hot rod than a custom.

Any porting you can do to the heads will help. Just a simple gasket match makes a difference.
    I have done the Cadillac intake conversion and it is much more complicated
    than Ovalizing a couple holes so be careful if you try it. :eek:

Here is my 55 turned 53 Commander Coupe.

Whatever you do, don't make it a gasser, please:(
    TZ

18. Scott K

Scott K

cool

Attached Files:

19. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

never really liked stude's that much but this thread has changed my opinion on what can be done with them...very cool

20. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

That gasser coupe is not to my liking at all. Just doesn't pass the asthetic test to take a swoopy shovel-nosed car & jack the front end into the air...

But the only one they have to please is themselves...

21. C Crews

C Crews

22. C Crews

C Crews

23. khead47

khead47

I have a few pics. 100_0175.JPG 100_0191.JPG 100_0194.JPG 100_0212.JPG 100_0213.JPG 100_0227.JPG 100_0251.JPG

24. khead47

khead47

^^^^^^^^^ The yellow one DRIVES to the LSR events towing a trailer, runs over 220 mph, hooks up the trailer, and drives home to Canuckia getting about 20 mpg.