Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb rebuild on a '52 Olds 303 Rocket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by diiulio, Jan 23, 2012.

1. diiulio

diiulio

I just picked up a 30 model A coupe with a 303 rocket in it. I am getting some fuel leakage from the carb and the choke is cut off. I need to rebuild the carb and put a choke on it. Is there a Napa # for the rebuild kit and where can I get a choke for it? I realize wire is holding some of the linkage together and the accelerator cable isn't quite proper, but I plan on cleaning that up too.

A couple of pics for your review.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

That carb is a rochester 4 jet..... rebuild kit should be #CK497.
    Looks like all you need on the choke is to replace the tube to the intake.

3. diiulio

diiulio

Where on the intake would choke tube go? Do you have a picture of what it should look like?
    Also, what is the proper procedure for adjusting the carb? She is running a little rich, getting backfire every once in a while.

Thanks for your help.

4. BJR

BJR

The tube should go to the right center of the intake manifold next to the right head. There should be a hole that goes into the exhaust crossover in the manifold. The tube sucks heated air into the choke housing which heats the bimetalic coil in the choke to open the choke butterfly.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

And put a bigger air filter on it. to many carb problems come from filters that don't pass enough air.

6. terryble

terryble
    from canada

The rad support rods limit the size of the air cleaner

7. diiulio

diiulio

I am open to suggestions on the air cleaner vs. the rad supports. Let me know.

Thanks for the location for the choke.

Procedure for properly tuning the Rochester carb?

8. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

You can see the choke tube in this picture.........

Attached Files:

9. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

Looks like you have more problems than tuning that carb....for one thing, here is what you linkage should look like.......

Attached Files:

10. diiulio

diiulio

I know. One thing at a time... Please keep pointing things out, it is very helpful. Thank you for the pictures.

11. Tradester

Tradester

real
    Hello, new member here and haven't had a chance to properly say hello to the forum yet, but I wanted to comment on your post since I have a '50 olds and was happy to see other olds folks I can learn from and hopefully contribute to from time to time . I'm still learning to navigate the site and hope to be more active soon.

nochop likes this.
  12. I’m pretty sure ‘53 Buicks mostly had Carters or Strombergs (I’m wrong a lot, so don’t take me too seriously)

What you have there looks to me like a mid fifties high choke Rochester 4jet. (I concur with @GTOeasy)

To really know the exact factory specs on adjusting your carb, you need the numbers off the brass tag, (usually missing), find out exactly what car/year it’s from, assuming it hasn’t been altered, find the service manual on-line and it will have the specs to adjust it.

Read this: http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1787766pdf?$PDF$

Tells you how to set a float on a Rochester.

Watch this guy’s videos;

He shows you how to rebuild one.

Unless you figure out the exact carb, based on a mid fifties Buick Rochester, (the web page I referenced), I would just guess that it’s somewhere near the ‘56 Buick or 53 Cad. So start with a 1 3/4” (or try 1 9/16”) primary and secondary float level and a 2 1/4” primary and secondary drop. Adjust from there. Mess with all the little arms if you like. If it’s starving try raising the height by 1/16’s. (You’ll have to take the top off each time, be gentle on the gaskets).

You are using a cable instead of a rod, pulling the butterflies instead of pushing them, but it looks like it should still work the way it’s set up.

If you don’t want to mess with the choke tube, you could use an electric adapter like this: IMG_1839.JPG
    I’ve used this exact one on several 4gc’s, works great, never a problem.

If you want to try a proper rebuild; Take it apart carefully, measure the accelerator pump bore, the length of the pump, photograph it all and send photos to web sites like MikesCarburetors, or if CarbKing is still selling kits, they are helpful and knowledgable and will be able to sell you the right gaskets and pieces to rebuild it. Probably some specs to adjust. But that takes time to get it all in the mail, so you might as well mess with it until it comes.

But while you are waiting, clean it, blow out all of the holes and ports, soak the pump in oil, try to adjust the floats, reassemble it and try it out.

Probably someone who’s really anal would find that your throttle shafts are too worn, if so it may be a bit harder to adjust due to the vaccum leak. But I myself am not anal, and I don’t mind my throttle shafts or women a little sloppy, just try to compensate for it with a little turn of the screw...

Best way to learn is to do. What have you got to lose?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  13. [But I myself am not anal, and I don’t mind my throttle shafts or women a little sloppy, just try to compensate for it with a little turn of the screw...

Best way to learn is to do. What have you got to lose?]

Clunker, perhaps you could expand a little bit on how you handle a sloppy woman with a little turn of the screw. I am certain many of us here on the forum would like the knowledge:D:D:D

clunker likes this.
  14. ^^^^ Ha! All I need to do is take one look in the mirror to realize that it’s been years since I’ve played my “A-game”. That let’s me appreciate my gal for who she is now too!

To the O.P. :

Don’t take this carb apart while on the car, there’s two little check balls, smaller than bb’s from a bb gun, that could fall out and get lost or even worse fall into your intake and into a piston chamber. One is aluminum, one is steel (that’s how you know which is which). I would suggest taking the carb off, disassembling it in two cookie sheets on a bench and the egg crate thing so you won’t lose bits and bobs as you go. If you aren’t used to carbs watch some videos on Youtube 1st so you have an idea what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app