Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 rear spring hangers , what’s up here.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

694A7F32-CF4B-4A76-82F6-964690031983.jpeg 912C03F5-50E2-422E-AAA3-919FDE925D84.jpeg 1077B26B-E01C-41A3-A03C-834ECA963DB5.jpeg Just realised the rear spring hangers have been welded up on what appears to be an original early 32 rear , it has been converted to juice brakes. What are the spring hangers supposed to look like ? The weld almost looks like old stick welding, a few holes . The rest of the 32 is fairly original And still matching numbers.

deadbeat likes this.
  2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Those are stock brackets & that is the factory weld.
    Scrape the dirt off, & have a look.
    I bet they are just fine !

Kiwi 4d and deadbeat like this.
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thx Pete , we are not new to 32s but new to such original 32s.

4. Here is a photo of one of my housings. Your welds are in the right place but I doubt anything of that quality came from the factory. I would say they were removed for some reason and then reattached later in someone's garage. I believe you can make a right hand housing from a left hand housing be moving the spring perch. If the bearing surface is bad you can probably turn the housing over by relocating the spring perch. Any chance it is a Model A housing with a '32 spring perch welded on? What does the other side look like? Question to HAMBERS, has anyone else seen welding that bad on a 1932 Ford factory rear end?

Charlie Stephens

IMG_9508.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Charlie ,thats sure what i thought they should look like.
    Perhaps cut off to get them in a lathe to fit new bearing lands?
    I can see a rear axle swap in the near future . This one is early 32 with the round model A type TT flange. So I imagine any rear axle change means a TT change also, I imagine the original ratio will be 4.11 , really would like 3.54 to help the banger do 60mph.
    I have a 35/36 rear that was in a 34 pickup with a spring ground to fit the 32 rear crossmember, but of course the TT will be too long. So it goes on. Any tips appreciated.

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got out the hub puller ready to do battle , first clue was no cotter pins. Axle nut undid easily and hub came off by hand ,scary easy and we had been driving this around.
    It became apparent that the hangers had been cut off to get the axle tubes in a lathe to fit new bearing lands , shame they did not look for a bigger lathe.
    We didn’t trust the welds ,sure we could have repaired them much better as my son is a welder. Cut a long story short we swapped in a rebuilt 35/36 rear complete with 3.54 gears. Had a spare torque tube from our 32 3W .
    Job done.

F&J likes this.
  7. prez

prez

nice result BK