Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got any Winter Projects Yet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Oct 31, 2018.

1. I'm not doing that much, may have the interior pieces done on my Ford, which will be enough work to take it apart.. again. I'm in PT for my back injury and may go to Florida in February for a week or so. I'm a little beat up to be working in the cold too much.

mad mikey and low budget like this.
  2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Just put money down on one of Tony (goatroper) transmissions,and put money down one one of his motors too, looks like Im blowing apart my coupe.....

mad mikey and low budget like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I need to make this car mine.
    Picked it up earlier this year from a good friends widow. :(
    So I need to set the controls to my liking and just for fun I may have to put a 409 in it. :)
    20180512_124601 (2).jpg

4. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Morgue Has Room For One Small (Short) Winter Project... DSCN1454.JPG

5. HerMink

HerMink

I'm not sure if this is classified as a Winter project or a lifelong project.... I guess that depends on my money situation?

29Ford04.jpg

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'm trying to finalize a deal on a 1940 Plymouth coupe.. I really like the style of 40/41 Plymouth coupes.. Another barn find to go with my barn find 38 standard sedan....

7. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Sorry.
    Can't help you.
    It was a visitor stopping by.

8. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

My 40 ford,....still....

low budget and LOU WELLS like this.
  9. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2301.JPG If I can get the hood pieces made I will be happy. Well, maybe I will work on a new top too.

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks like yours may be more ambitious than theres with the top stuff goin on, but youve already showed a lot of determination and I think you will eventually make something out of yours too. Can you use the front part of the top and/or sections out of the parts cars as well?

11. RMONTY

RMONTY

From what I can tell the tops are the same at the front. Good news is i have the original top, and two others to slice and dice as needed. I've been studying these three cars for a good while. I started last night cutting the 4 door skin off. I'll be posting on my build thread in a day or two.

kidcampbell71, RMR&C and low budget like this.
  12. Finish the body work and paint, install a mid-rise intake manifold and an Edelbrock carb. Also swapping out the 318 in my boat, and a dozen or so honey-dos around the house...

I usually finish my winter projects.

low budget and mad mikey like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-11-8_4-20-46.png
    Hey J,

That is a very nice set of red cars, especially that red El Camino. It looks like the new 65 model I bought in 1964. I needed a car for the beginning of the spring semester of college that started in late January, 1965, about 400 miles, one way, in Northern California. Between semesters, the El Camino was driven all over California deserts, coastal spots, forests and mountains, as well as down in Baja. That El Camino was the most reliable, trouble free car ever owned for 125k miles until I sold it in the 70s.
    upload_2018-11-8_4-28-23.png
    Unless you already have one, here is a small winter project for your 64 model. Ever since I got involved in desert motorcycle racing after our drag racing episodes, there was a need for a gauge to see the level of air in those “air shocks” that came from the factory.
    upload_2018-11-8_4-29-2.png
    It was difficult to measure how much was put in, as those gas station pumps were never accurate. An accurate air pressure gauge was necessary. It is installed under the teeny package tray behind the seats. The only thing that shows on top of the tray (when the seat is in the normal position) is the valve +cap. There were countless times that I was asked which factory option ordering number it was and/or if they could get the part from any Chevy dealer.

Once you have the air gauge, this project should not take you that long. A snowed-in day should give you enough time to make the installation. It sure saved me countless times filling in and letting out the air for the best ride in any situations for the El Camino.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...m-i-still-worthy.1055430/page-2#post-11978015 a story from last year.

Jnaki

I am not sure where they still sell them, but any gauge could be adapted. Here is another thread on new air pressure gauges. If you do not have the air bag pumps and tank installed, this is a "gauge only" install for the stock air shocks. Back in 1965, it worked like a charm and was very handy.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/everything-but-the-kitchen-sink.1035655/page-2

kidcampbell71 and low budget like this.
  14. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

This, just acquired at Bonham's Philly Museum auction.
    [​IMG]
    The Edelbrock manifold should allow its inclusion in the HAMB. In storage since 1960.

upload_2018-11-9_9-23-51.png

15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool to just get it running...I would leave it as is....congratulations on your find...

16. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

Hoping to finish this winter project by January to prep for paint.

1960 ford wagon
    302/AOD

Attached Files:

17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh shit , that's f,ing cool wagon.....I want it...

jt7282 likes this.
  18. My main focus will be trying to get this one back together and working, before I even start I have to finish the heated part of the garage expansion I've got going on.
    At this point I wonder why I didn't start back on the garage part of this deal a few months earlier. 20181008_174354.jpg
    The support wall that's coming out so I can slide the J in here sideways

20181015_154815.jpg 20181015_154743.jpg

19. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Header going in , what you using , steel beam? Love that J...

20. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My winter projects are already in full swing. Working on finishing the siding on the garage, wiring in lights and circuits for welder and compressor, building the work bench. I'm still working on the '51 Ford project- it is up and running but I have a few more little rust spots to repair and I want to install a new wiring harness; the current electric system is a hodge-podge of original harness, 12v conversion bits, voltage reducers, and way too many splices. And the AOD is slipping a little on the 2-3 shift.
    I haven't even mentioned the '41 Chev sedan plans yet, lol. I won't be bored that is for sure..... cold, yes, but not bored.

low budget and 1959Nomad like this.
  21. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

planning to put a new heart and trans in this one come winter IMG_1844.JPG

1959Nomad, charleyw, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  22. Well, whether the next project becomes a winter project is not known until I finish the present project! Lol! But, when it does get off the back burner, it's a 40 Ford pickup for the wife .....

low budget likes this.
  23. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Continue work on the roadster project. This will be the third winter.
    Jim

low budget likes this.
  24. Thank you and yes on the steel beam, 23 1/2 ft of it, should be in on Tuesday and hopefully goes smoothly. I could actually paint that firewall during the winter months for a change.

kidcampbell71 and low budget like this.
  25. alchemy

alchemy

IMG_2069.JPG

Hopefully by next spring this will look like a 5-1/2" chopped 32 5-window with an Ardun engine.

26. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well , here I go again...supposed to not buy another project...just this was too nice and so I struck a deal... image.jpg

mad mikey likes this.
  27. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the way , I was amazed at the condition of the grille..we had to dig it out.was at the bottom of an el Camino bed..on top were hoods...3 of them...the grille is perfect...this is the High and Mighty body style... image.jpeg

28. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Well, my winter(let's build another) project turned into a done non-hamb friendly 1968 Ranchero.. I guess the old man(72) got the best of me.. So I plan to put new running board covers and a new front fender on my 38 and call it my winter project.... **clic pic** 20180707_132627.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    RMR&C likes this.
  29. Blue31Coupe

Blue31Coupe

Going to replace the intake manifold, rebuild the carb, replace all the rubber fuel lines, put new ignition wires on. Want to redo the side pipes with caps on the headers and full exhaust with mufflers under the car for those long cruises. Those damn side pipes are really loud!