Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Antique Tag guys...in here please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob Dobolina, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I don't want to hijack this, but I have been thinking a lot about how to go about registering my vehicle. My car is a 1957 model year, but I'm doing it as a "pre-1960" custom, and would like to run 1960 plates. Does anybody know if it's possible to get vintage plates that aren't YOM?

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

This only applies to vehicles registered as "Classic", not "Antique". It was supposed to happen last Jan, but was pushed to Sept.

3. JT3357

JT3357
    from SE Texas

If you got a window sticker for your Antique YOM plates it's a mistake on the tax office's part. When I registered mine last August the clerk initially printed a window sticker. I asked the clerkabout it. She asked her supervisor who showed her that she had to check a certain box on the computer to make it print a small sticker for the plate.

4. Fenders

Fenders

True from 1957 to 1969 only.

A great book if you can find it is License Plates of the United States by James K. Fox.

5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

You can get them....but cant register with them...YOM means just that

6. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Do I need a safety inspection to get my truck registered under YOM antique tags

7. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I was given just one antique tag for my car/heap

8. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thats all you get .Isnt it great not to have to run a plate on the front :) ???

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Which kind of defeats the purpose.

I don't see why it matters if you have a matched pair of plates. Why is YOM so special?

10. I just got one too. also a 1959.
    Did they give you any grief trying to pass it?

11. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Anyone?

12. delraydon

delraydon

This information came from TX-DOT on Friday.

In regard to the YOM plate law change effective September 1, 2011, this is what it entails:

As of September 1, 2011, no new applications for the use of YOM plates under Classic registration will be accepted.

Customers who currently have YOM plates with Classic registration will be "grand fathered" and may continue to use the YOM plates on their vehicle as long as they renew them. If the customer does not renew within 60 days of expiration, the plates will fall out of the system and can no longer be used on the vehicle. The customer would have to apply for department issued Classic plates, Personalized Classic plates, or regular plates.

Another change effective September 1, 2011 with Classic registration and plates is that the $15 fee will no longer be collected. Only regular registration will apply.

This law change only effects vehicles with Classic registration. Vehicles with Antique registration may continue to use YOM plates and new applications will still be accepted.

I hope this helps clarify the law change. If you have any questions or want additional information on Antique and/or Classic registration, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you and enjoy your weekend.

Lindsy Frank
    [email protected]
    Correspondence Services Branch
    Consumer Relations Division
    Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

13. johnboy94

johnboy94

In Texas if you have TX title you do not have to have an inspection to get antique tags. If you are transfering an out of state title then yes you have to get a safety inspection and a green sheet from the inspector for the first registration.
    Johnboy

14. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Thanks johnboy, this truck would be coming from OK. I would have to get the wipers working and hook up the E brake.

15. racer32

racer32

Rivrat, I think all you would have to do is have the VIN checked when you bring it in to TX. No state inspection necessary on antique plates. Shocker and I live in the same county, and I know a couple other folks locally that run antique plates on our frequently-driven cars/trucks. NONE of us have ever gotten hassled. My truck isn't a daily driver, but I drive it several times a week. Like Shocker said...you can drive on antique plates for maintenance (like keeping battery charged), to and from storage location, to a repair facility, to club events, car shows, parades, and other auto-related events.

16. johnboy94

johnboy94

Racer 32, that is what the green sheet is. To my knowledge a vehicle inspector is the only one that verifies the VIN.

Inspector Fills out the green sheet and then you take that in with your title to get it transfered.

Johnboy

17. Number_Six

Number_Six
    from Minnesota

Does this mean that the 1935 street rod I just purchased from CA can be registered in TX next week as a classic with YOM TX plates I bought.

18. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

I have one antique license plate for the rear and that is it. no sticker, its printed on the plate. Plates renew every 5 years

19. Number_Six

Number_Six
    from Minnesota

What carrying capacity (pounds) did you list in your Texas title application?

20. aldixie

aldixie

I know it’s an old post. I went to get my 1938 Pickup registered today and need to get it inspected first. I already have the title in my name but because it says “Vin Certification Waived” I have to get it inspected. Will mean I have to install the wiper motor. It’s only a basic safety test so not worried at all about that.

slim38 likes this.
  21. Just not sure how you guys are doing it.....when I've transferred a Texas title into my name....and the car was over 20 yrs and the truck was over 25 yrs I've never had a inspection needed - when apply for the 5 yr Texas antique plates....

22. Lucky as I was I transferred my 1965 tow truck , a 1978 Step Van and a 1977 Suburban....along with many motorcycles....