Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drill Doctor? which model??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19-c, Dec 20, 2010.

1. evintho

evintho

The trick is figuring out how to use it properly. Once you do, you can sharpen a bit in 30 seconds. I've had mine for a couple of years and I love it! Talked my superviser into buying one at work. I gave a quick class to all the guys in the shop and now they all love it too! To answer your question, get the DX500. The only difference between the 500 and 750 is the 500 sharpens up to 1/2" and the 750 up to 3/4". How often do you use a bit bigger than 1/2" enough times that it's gonna need sharpening?

When I first got mine I had a ton of old, dull bits laying around. Sharpened them all and put 'em in a cheap nut & bolt cabinet. Now I have a freshly sharpened bit whenever I need one.

[​IMG]

Atwater Mike likes this.
  2. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I have the 750 pro model, and it's been collecting duct, I find that I can still hand sharpen and eyeball a bit faster and better on the bench grinder. It does work well for the smaller bits.

3. 10bucks

10bucks

Drill Doctor, Drill Schmoctor! In three machines have never seen one function. tons of funky curved points and tons of reverse angles (heels higher than toes). 15 seconds + a sharply dressed grinding wheel = 1 fresh drill bit.

4. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

i have one, donno which model cause i haven`t used it so long, last i used it it worked ok, but my bench grinder is closer and no setup other than flipping the switch, and 9 times outta 10 i get a bit pretty damn sharp.......

5. Step up to a DAREx.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  6. Rusty

Rusty

have not been happy with mine, looks good when done but cuts like a butter knife. Guys that love it maybe can elaborate on how they are using it to make it work

7. Those work pretty well and I got mine used for $30. It had to be cleaned up quite a bit and as long as the wheel is dressed, it works great.

I've hand-sharpened drills in the past and it took some practice to get them to cut a good hole. I have one of those drill point "fish" gauges which helps to get the angle and the cutting edges symmetrical.

Bob

8. yblock292

yblock292

I've had them both, not real happy with it, some times works real good other times junk must be operator error

Atwater Mike likes this.
  9. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Its like any other tool in your shop. If you take time to set it up properly, and operate it properly, you'll get good results. A common theme on most of the posts is that the guys who can sharpen by hand, are the same guys that are patient and have it working good.

In my 35+ years of working with tools, I have yet to find one that makes me an expert simply by buying it. Unfortunately you can't always believe those info-mercials on late night TV.

10. I agree with 39pc....READ the directions!!! I have the 500 and after I did that....I was very happy with the results.....My Dad always said "read the directions first"!! I guess I still have a problem with that, I'll work on it.....Thanks Dad.

stanlow69 and Bearcat_V8 like this.
  11. The first D/Doctor was the base model,it made my dull drillbits duller...couldn't get it right no matter how much I read & tried...opened the shopdoor one day and flung that POS as far down in the woods as I could !!!

Found one of the Deluxe Super Duper D/Drs. on sale ...and like a dumass snapped it up...Just an even more frustrating excersize than the first one ...Sooo, opened the shopdoor ...flung that POS down in the woods!!!

So ,if anyone wants one or two free D/Drs,...there both down there by the creek...Have at it...

Stan

12. B Blue

B Blue

I have had a DD for several years and use it quite a bit. I do have problems with the heel being higher than the cutting edge. Can't for the life of me figure what I'm doing wrong. If I resharpen the drill, I usually will hit the sweet spot but it may take several tries.

I can resharpen drills, but as I do I loose the proper shape. The DD takes me back to the proper starting point. But some people can't and never will be able to sharpen a drill. To those, the DD is a god send.

Bill

13. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I have to ask since I don't know...how does one sharpen a drill bit on a bench grinder? I've never thought about it, just buy more bits when I wear them out. I need to learn something new today!

14. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Why didn't you just return it for a refund? :confused:

15. terry48435

terry48435

I've had good luck using mine also.

16. llonning

llonning

Absolutely, I have their M5 and it will do from 1/16 up to better than an inch. I believe I have all of their collets and have never used the largest. Does a fantastic job, especially split point and web thinning. For the best job get the diamond wheel for it.

17. I have the drill doctor 750, I cant get shit sharp with it, and my bit sharpening attempts sucked as well.

18. I can't comment on the newer ones, but we have an old Drill Dr. 300 at work, we call it the "Drill Dr. Kevorkian" because all it did was help you kill your drill bits. It's a piece of crap, there is no setting it up, and yes we did read the instructions.

freezerburn likes this.
  19. Dirk35

Dirk35

I have one (the base model) and I really like it. I was never taught how to sharpen them on a bench grinder though...and I dont own a bench grinder either..... so the Drill Doctor has been great for me.

20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 500 and it works great...........and I do know how to sharpen one with a benchgrinder, too. The Drill Dr. works great if you understand how to sharpen a bit and you operate it the way it tells you. I didn't even watch the video, just read the "destructions". :)

21. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I got one for a Christmas gift (500), I started reading the instructions and watched the video, I was amazed how well it worked. I have been sharpening on a bench grinder for 35 years. I was in the shop today and sharpened about 50 bits. I have coffee cans full of auction purchased drill bits that I wanted to go through but never had the chance.
    I tossed out 3 harbor freight POS sharpeners those are real junk.
    I vote yes for the Drill Doctor it works great and made in the USA.

22. I can half ass sharpen a bit on a grinder. I was shown how 30 years ago. I bought the basic drill doctor and I think it is great. Take your time and follow the directions and yes it works.

23. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Lots of replies, wish everyone had said what model they have - DD has a whole bunch of models.

I have a 300 and for a while it seemed to do a good job - except for the very small - in fact, the smallest it is supposed to do will not index when you set it up - the fingers won't engage the twist.

But now, the heel is higher than the lip (negative clearance angle) and the chisel point angle is off too.

I would bump the rotational position of the drill in the chuck to get the right chisel angle and while possible to eventually get a good result, it takes too much time.

I don't know why mine sort of quit doing a good job - the diamond wheel doesn't look worn out. The indexing fingers that grab the twist are real hokey - VERY NON PRECISION.

Auto machinist said, DON'T BUT THIS DD, GET THIS ONE. But I don't remember the model numbers.

I like NOT doing it by hand because you don't get the chisel in the center - one lip will be longer than the other so you get oversize holes.

I know on the higher models, you can set the chisel angle which might compensate when that machine starts doing what mine is.

Pissed that I didn't buy 2 at an estate sale for $5 each....

24. mopacltd

mopacltd

lloning, I don't see a 5M model on DAREx website.

25. We had to learn to sharpen drill bits in shop class...I can sharpen a drill bit on a dressed wheel ok.
    Mine is the cheapie model and I love it but as a dumbass I have to retrain myself every time I use it.

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have a 750 which my son uses to sharpen our bits. He put the time into learning how to use it and he does an excellent job. So I guess, as with anything, learning how to use a tool is the important part.

27. I have two different high end drill sharpening machines, and have found that I can sharpen the bits more quickly by hand on the grinder. I just use two nuts placed side by side to check that the drill is sharpened evenly.
    Bob

28. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I've used a DrillDoctor XP2 for 30+ years now. The thing is that it doesn't make you onto a tool and die maker. You have to figure out how to use it correctly like a paint gun. It has saved me a fortune over the years. The nice thing is that when you dull a bit it's right there to fix it. It always does a better job than hand held and a grinding wheel. Plus you can vary the rake if you choose to. Have never had to replace the diamond wheel.

Phil

29. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

I second the use of a Darex. I actually learned the motion of how sharpen a drill bit on a bench grinder by using a Darex sharpener for several months. I also agree, read the instructions, set-up is critical.

30. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I'm suprised no one has mentioned this... but the drill doctor isn't traditional, is it? :cool:

I was given this old hand cranked grinder this summer, I made a support for grinding drills on it. Suprisingly effective.

DSC05039.JPG

DSC05040.JPG
    upload_2018-11-8_18-46-58.png