Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What year's my Ford pickup? 35-37

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhatAmIDoing, Nov 3, 2018.

1. WhatAmIDoing

WhatAmIDoing

New member here. Just picked up a definite project. I've been searching through the forum to identify differences between the 35,36,37 Ford pickups. A lot of the tell-tale parts are missing on mine. Is there enough here to tell what year mine is?
    I know it doesn't really matter, I can pretty much make it whatever year I want. It's more for my own curiosity. I'm planning on some flavor of a rat rod, so it will never be a show car. The previous owner thought it was a 37, but wasnt sure.

I've got different hole door handle patterns on each door, so I'm assuming two different years there.

Also, I haven't seen too many pictures on here showing a battery box on the firewall. Is this a 37 feature?

Last, most of the pictures I've seen of finished trucks have three large gauges on the dash. I've got two holes.

Thanks for anyones help and patience. IMG_4588.JPG IMG_4591.JPG IMG_4599.JPG IMG_4601.JPG IMG_4597.JPG IMG_4598.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 likes this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    X38 likes this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Two piece windshield makes it a '37.

X38 likes this.
  4. trollst

trollst

what they said.....

X38 likes this.

5. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

6. scotts52

scotts52

Fair warning. You don't want to use the words, rat rod here. Build you a hot rod!!

Also, tell us where you're from and a little about you. With that said, welcome to the HAMB.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. WhatAmIDoing

WhatAmIDoing

Thanks for your help everyone. Sorry about the “rat rod” comment. I’m not intending to bastardize anything.
    I’m in Vancouver, WA. In my late 30’s. Pretty much everything needed for this build is beyond my skill set. But my father’s restored half a dozen cars or so, so I’ll be relying on him for help. However he lives an hour and a half away.
    One other question, I keep seeing in various posts that the 35,36,37 cabs are basically the same. But obviously the 37 has the split windshield. Did they change the windshield profile that year as well? Meaning, I couldn’t put a 36 windshield in this cab correct? I’m also assuming the 37 windshields didn’t open like earlier years?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  8. clem

clem

You will learn as you go along.......... and your skill set will be increased.

Enjoy !

WhatAmIDoing likes this.

9. Yes, a 36 windshield is flat, 37 is Vee shape. The shape of the body all around the windshield is different to accommodate this change. But they do open.

WhatAmIDoing likes this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

As far as your comment about the differences in the doors- door lock cylinder in the passenger side only.

WhatAmIDoing likes this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

The doors will interchange, fenders will interchange, beds will interchange but the 37 is a little longer, frames are the same, headlights same, running boards same, hood and grille are different.

12. WhatAmIDoing

WhatAmIDoing

Thanks! I certainly hope so.

13. WhatAmIDoing

WhatAmIDoing

Ok, gotcha. It was confusing to me because of the three years being grouped together. I had made the false assumption that the cabs were interchangeable.

14. I got one for you 35-37 pickup guys...my 36 cab has an ashtray in the dash.... I look at all the truck dash pics I can find and have not seen another...Looks like a stock dash...can't see any weld in "new dash from a car" marks... did they offer a deluxe dash with an ashtray? I made the gauge panel but the rest of the dash is stock. heater in cab36.jpg

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Interesting. Maybe a dealer option? They all came with “cigar vents” on the window regulators, but I have never seen one with an ashtray.

16. alchemy

alchemy

Did you notice his outer door handles mount with vertical screws on one door, and horizontal on the other?

17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, he mentioned that earlier. Not sure what happened there.

18. The dash looks like a 36 passenger car dash.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I don't think so.
    dash pic.JPG

20. scotts52

scotts52

This is in a 37 bus. 292.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  21. You are correct. Glove box considerably differs.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. WhatAmIDoing

WhatAmIDoing

Does anyone else have thoughts on the door handles? Did earlier years mount differently?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app