Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking back - Peoria 1970

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Who you calling old?:eek: What were we talking about:confused:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Thanks guys,but we are getting off topic,please continue to post all the cool old photos from back in the day! HRP

3. My Mom circa 1948, before I arrived on the scene. 06242015.jpg

4. thanks for posting... I love seeing these old photos. I wouldn't be born until December of that year... crazy...

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Jim "Jake" Jacobs is my hero! I never get tired of hearing these stories. Does anybody have anymore pictures of the west coast boys on the road to Peoria???

Does anybody have anymore info on this '28-'29 Model A Roadster?

Thanks for sharing @HOTRODPRIMER!!!

HOTRODPRIMER and brad2v like this.
  6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats the Sam Conrad roadster. It was on album covers and in a movie or two? Hemi32 could tell you alot more about it. Yeah, Jake rules !

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    HOTRODPRIMER and brad2v like this.
  7. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Great thread loving they old photos. A good friend of mine from here in England went to the St Paul Minneapolis in 1974 & Columbus Ohio 1978, He filmed the two shows on Cine Super 8 recently he transferred it all on to DVDs and did me a copy great waching all the cool cars back then cruisin around will see if I can get him to put it on YouTube and I will put the link up for you guys, here's the cover he put on the DVDs for me it's a pic of him with John Buttera & Andy Brizio.
    image.jpg

8. I believe that roadster spent some time in So. Indiana. Not sure where it is now.

9. Is this the famous Buddy George coupe?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True. We were too busy trying to stay hydrated, to worry about any stinkin' photographs!!

At the '74 NSRA Nats in St. Paul, I went through maybe two rolls of film during the entire time I was there. My camera held 12-exposure rolls so do the math! :confused:
    And it does seem that when we lose someone or something, the memories always come out. I think it's a way of coping. But I'm digging this thread. It has the potential to be one of the better ones on the HAMB... IF we could convince a few more of the folks that did snap pics to raid their photo albums.

So with that in mind, I'll post a few I snapped at a 1973 run in Williamsburg, VA when I was there visiting my sister. I think it was hosted by the Tidewater SRA??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Those damned electrical gremlins... I hope they got 'em sorted out.

And one more - too bad that tree was in the way....
    [​IMG]

11. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

Here is a poster from the 1972 Detroit street rod nats.

1972 street rod nats poster.jpg

12. That would be great! HRP

13. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Top right is the "Delaware Kid" I remember that car from when I was a kid.

14. back up a year later.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothianwilly71 like this.
  15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To answer 2many projects question from a year ago , yeah that's Buddy's coupe in one of it's guises. Does anybody remember "I hate buddy George" and "who the hell is buddy George" buttons? I was just shootn' the shit with him at Hershey, he's ornery as ever; hobbling around but still pounding his nailhead Henry J. He's a pretty cool old cat! Edit : He still has that right on coupe, if anyone wonders; along with a lot of other goodies.

16. v8deuce32

v8deuce32
    from Ohio

This is my Dad's (Lucky Carson) car . He still owns the car and it looks the same. He did
    a lot of the driving events in the 70's.

17. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Thanks For The Time Capsule That Shows Us How The Hobby Evolved To This Present Day...

18. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Wow Danny---I have no clue how I missed this post back in '15/'16----What a trip back down memory lane!! I never read, the very good article, about the R&C guys and their struggle to put Peoria together. Over the years I got to know the full story of all the players in that Monumental Event, but never read the excerps from that article. To say that the first Nationals in Peoria was a life changing event, would be a TRULY big Understatement. MY life was never the same after Peoria 1970. 3 months after the first Nats, 3 guys started a car club. 13 guys showed up for that first meetig ---6 cars at that 1st meeting were at Peoria, of those 6 cars, only 2 went to Peoria together, the other 4 didn't even know each other, until Peoria---And they all live within a 5 mile radius!!! (Interesting enough, 5 of those cars, are in the posted pictures in the post you started, and 2 more cars owners became members later)------That same club, Vintage Tin, will celebrate it's 50th anniversity next October. My buddy Rich Law (a yellow 40 Chevy sedan, in the picture group) just gave his Peoria dash plaque to a guy who will be in the "I made all 50" group at the 50th event in Lou'vul next year. Rich heard the story of how the guy no longer had his original dash plaque, and gave him his plaque to recomplete his all 50 collection. I've got a WHOLE lot of memories and ongoing stories---all started in Peoria in 1970. Thanks again Danny for your 2015 post!!! Bill Rinaldi

19. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Bill Rinaldi, Just happened on your post, great seeing stuff from my early days of street rodding. I got introduced to "Vintage Tin" the following year at Memphis nats. Meeting such a great friendly group and being excepted into it are memories I will never forget. Thank you to all of Vintage Tin!!!
    Bob Huberty, Fond du Lac, WI.

Sent from my KFSUWI using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Thanks Bob, good to hear from you!! Bill

21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I liked buddy's coupe so much that he is the only rodder outside the state of Maine to get a CHANNELERS club plaque.
    raced his henry j' at winterport , maybe just his tail lights !

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. F&J

F&J

does anyone remember this 32 at Peoria.

My build kept changing as I was working on it over the years, and finally I knew I was going by long ago memory of a rod magazine small pic of the rear 3/4 view of this cabriolet from NJ.

I wish I knew which magazine...the caption said something like two 18 year olds drove all the way there from New Jersey, "and the 283 block stayed cracked". I'd really love to see that magazine picture again
    nat153.jpg

23. A Boner

A Boner

Bought a toy Buddy "L" dump truck from Buddy George probably 25 years ago.....still have it! Interesting dude. Is he still selling antique toy trucks and stuff? Anyone have any pics of his old hot rod big trucks.....Diamond T's ect?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm pretty sure this is Barry Mazza's car.

chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  25. tofords

tofords

Thanks HRP great pictures
    IMG_4537.JPG

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think thats ol' Gary Kesslers yellow hiboy

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HEY!-- Brings back many memories from 1972 thru 1976 early Nats.

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ct1932ford likes this.
  29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to my old LAR roster Sam's member number was #3.

chryslerfan55 and bowie like this.
  30. Just Right, even today!:cool: