Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frantz toilet paper oil filter... anybody use them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Dec 30, 2006.

1. rdstr31

rdstr31
    from Ney, OH

I actually designed an adapter that will allow me to use TP in my regular A-C/ Fram bypass filter. It functions the same as the Frantz-type filter (end-to-end filtering), but no one would even know it's there. Once I get it installed I'll post something on how well it functions (or doesn't!).

Maybe I'll wait for Tech Week and post the design...

2. no55mad

no55mad

After letting the oil drain out of the tp filter a few days it would be a good item to add to the wood stove and get a few btu's out of it :)

3. jacobs

jacobs
    from Colorado

I realize this is an old thread but wanted to put in my two cents worth. I personally have used the Frantz filter since about 1965 on all my vehicles. They have always worked as advertised and I have never had any problems with TP getting into the engine. That's just another one of those old wives tales that never die just like don't ever allow a lead acid battery to set on concrete otherwise the concrete will drain out the charge. Last time I checked, steel is a better conductor than concrete and most battery trays are made out of steel.

4. wizzard23

wizzard23

The old man that helped us kids on our stock car in the early 70's had one on his 67 Chevy pu that we used as our tow vehicle. He was a picky old fart, and I'm sure he did regular maintainence on it, but he thought the TP filter was a great idea. It was a 292 6 banger.

5. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

Here is a pic of mine i'm going to rum on my flathead. But first I am making an internal insert to run a modern WIX filter inside just to be safe. I have not seen any with heat sink fins like mine has, Was that an option or just a custome touch?

Attached Files:

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have never seen that heat sink. these were made in Stockton Ca, so they seem to show up at swap meets around here quite often. I picked up a bunch of them over the years to resell on ebay, so I am always on the lookout for Frantz filters, even though I no longer sell stuff.

I think your heat sink was originally from some thing else

7. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

NO matter what, I like the heat sink matching the fins on the flathead and to boot it will cool the oil a bit. I grew up in Modesto so it reminds me of home.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one more thing to say... in these parts they are really not uncommon. I saw a guy at Turlock the other weekend witth a box full of them, new parts, instructions, never used.

never seen a heat deal like that.

9. bartikus

bartikus

i have two replies to this when i was in high school a buddy of mine picked up a 1965 galaxie 500 that had a 390 with a thrown rod it had the toilet paper filter adapter on it. we figured it was part of why it threw a rod.

a few months back we had a salesmen for a solvent tank come in and he had us demo a new solvent tank. he claimed that it could filter out all the oils and greases down to 10 microns. i work in a hydraulic shop so we found this pretty funny. we pulled one of these magical filters apart to see what was inside. it was a roll of toilet paper with a sock wraped around it. they pattened the design of this filter. the joke for about a week was that we could go down to the wal-mart and pick up a whole 24 pack of filters for under 10 bucks. we didn't keep the machine.

10. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

I cant say I stand by the idea of a roll of tp filtering the oil, That's why I am making a plate adapter to run a modern WIX premium filter inside the case. I do love the vintage aftermarket look.

11. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

I have two of these frantz oil filter set ups n.o.s still in the original boxes.

12. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Paul, the filters that you displayed were used in autobody shops to absorbe that water in air lines just before the spray gun.

They worked good, I always used them, but now the paint manufacturers demand that you use $$$ desicant filters.

13. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

I run one on my 98.5 Dodge Ram Diesel for the last 3 year I think they work just changed it out the oil stays cleaner longer and I believe they work. [​IMG]

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd bet with one of those, the bypass is open at anything much above idle.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

who brought this crappy old thread back up to the top?

now that I no longer sell on ebay I can tell everyone my secret. the first one I sold was for a buddy, he paid 5 bucks for it, and I sold it for $75.00. then I started looking for them at swaps, never paid more than 10 bucks for one, and never sold one for less that $50.00. many sold for more than $100.00, some in the box, some just really nice. I'd guess I sold at least 20 of them on my 5 year ebay run... probably closer to double that.

never used one. that's why I started the thread ay back in 2006.

I bet they'd be good for a solvent tank to keep al the crap out of the solvent.

16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

saw the old thread so i have to run my chops! a friend was a dealer for these back in the day, i ran one. i drove a lot of miles back then and i was changing oil constantly prior to adding the franz. i then changed it at 5000 instad of three. the oil always looked really good. the last i heard that truck had well over 3 hundred thousand on it, never apart. wish i had a couple of them now.

17. /ive got one of the Frantz oil cleaners. And I decided to try it out. im convinced it does exactly what the manufacturer states it does. It doesn't elemante the need to change your oil. and the TP filter is superior to a fram spin on oil filter.

18. raymay

raymay

An old farmer many years ago told me about using TP in oil filters. They liked using them on their tractors and said they lasted longer than a traditional filter. We actually cut down a TP roll to fit inside a small block Chevy canister filter and it worked fine.

19. Burner

Burner

We use a style that has the same principal on hydraulic systems. The filters are designed to be kidney loop filters ONLY! They can not handle a lot of flow, the units we use have a 4 gallon can that the filter sits in. The filter itself is about 24" tall and 10" diameter and we only run 2 GPM through it. On a filter that size it will pull about a gallon of water out of the oil. The guy that builds these units has a small 2 quart one on his Suburban and has never changed the oil, however he does use an additive when he changes the filter. He's got 250,000 miles on it so far. These filters clean the oil down to 1 micron. I strongly recommend if you use this style of filter do not use it as your main filter, the return line goes right back to the pan. I have one on my F450 service truck transmission and the pan was spotless on the last fluid change, it only has 160,000 miles on it though. Not trying to be a salesman but they do work.

20. valley ranch

valley ranch

Greetings Fellows ~I signed up just to tell you who can listen of the Frantz ~ I'm a Journyman Mechanic retired ``` I've used these filters from the time Frantz sold the filters himself at Rodium drive in ~ in Gardena California ``` I was 16 when I first saw one ``` I've used them on everything from VWs to tractors ~ the paper becomes stronger when in oil ~ they do clean oil ~ I guess any liquid or gas ``` Recently put on on daughters 1995 GMC ( not a Tahoe ~ starts with a T) and on oldest daughters Sidekick ~ they ran the cheap oil they had in the engine until it scrubbed the inside of the engine ~ then changed to Mobil 1 ~ I put a valve cover gasket on oldest daughters Sidekick a while back ~ the ~Valve Cover on that used engine we put in that car ( as a graduation gift ) when she graduated High School was damn clean ```
    These filters work great ~ I've read so many bull ship stories about the paper falling apart, Or them plugging up and stopping the oil to the bearings ~ which is bull stuff ~ because we leave in the stock filter and only take a small amount off to be filtered and returned to, in my case the oil filler cap ~ they do pick up moisture ~ moisture is required to form acid so the oil doesn't be come acidic ``` Many guys send their oil in to be tested ~ I never have ~ some change there oil regularly ~ I don't J~ if it's clean ( free of grit down to below 2 microns it's clean )
    Now with the newer Multi Weight Oils ~ I've read about Shearing ( you look it up ) but with the addition of a quart each 500-1000 miles ~ I figure that is replaced ~ but they will change the oil every 5000 to 10,000 miles in any case ```
    I have a newer diesel tractor ~ I may install one on that ~ it may not keep the oil yellow on the diesel but will keep it clean ~ I've heard guys say it keep their diesel oil clear ~ I'll have to see that for myself ~ I've worked as a Diesel Mechanic at the School Bus Garage ~ the oil gets like ink some ```
    Anyway ~ that's it ~ I'm 80 years young and I am telling you " I've seen it from back then till now "

Just maybe you can prophet from what I've taken the time to type if so God love you ~ if not ~ too bad ```

Richard

Hollywood-East and Tarquineous like this.
  21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

funny this would pop back up. I found two brand new in the box, 20 bucks for the pair, got $135.00 each on ebay.:)
    I also sold 4 old used ones from $35.00 to $50.00 a month before that. people still like them.

22. Hop2it

Hop2it

23. Hop2it

Hop2it

I used one on my air line when I painted cars it would soak up moisture and oil that would come out of our half worn out compressor
    Doug

24. jnaki

jnaki

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

I worked for a paving contractor back in the late 60's and their whole fleet used Frantz filters. Their mechanics swore by them. They had well over 100 pieces of equipment.
    The TP filter for the air line works great . I had one in my shop down in Florida where it was almost impossible to keep moisture out. I changed the roll about once a week and it would be heavy with water. Used cheap Dollar General toilet paper. The good stuff would be too thick and have chemicals that would cause fisheyes. It's mounted to the wall just right of the cabinet. 20171207_191238.jpg
    We painted some high end cars using that system.

26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used one for yrs back in the mid 60's. The key was to use 2ply TP. The newer ones had a screen to keep any paper out. I did end up taking the 283 it was on apart and the inside was spotless after 150,000 miles. I came off the oil plug at the front of the cam and fed the oil back thru a hollow bolt on the intake. I changed the every 1000 miles. And the oil every 10,000. Today I have it on my parts washer.

27. Tarquineous

Tarquineous

I've used them since 1973. They work even better on today's cleaner running engines and much better motor oil. My current vehicle is a 1998 Ford Ranger V6. It has 263,000 miles and engine runs great. Still passes smog easily.
    I have never seen a filter element come apart. I guess you would have to have lots of water in the oil. You can put a screen filter on the return line, like specialty fuel/ turbocharger filters, if you are afraid of paper. Or use the newer spun fiber elements from LSI Inc.

28. Tarquineous

Tarquineous

The one oil I have seen that stays fairly clear is BG engine oil. Newer diesel engines made after 2010 or so, run much cleaner, including the oil. I would like to see one with a Frantz filter and BG oil. I've heard the oil stays clear for over 1000 miles.

29. Tarquineous

Tarquineous

Yes they would work good, but some of the new fluids are water based. Not good with paper elements.

30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well you got all fancy with the outside.:D Have you ever thought about one of those beehive filters ? Thinking that would look cool with the body patina and the spit and polished engine.