Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 Elcamino Worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lggolf, Oct 30, 2018.

1. lggolf

lggolf

My father-in-law has recently passed away and was in the process of restoring a 1959 Elcamino. This car has 2 engines. One is a 327 out of a 1961 impalla station wagon. I am not sure about the second engine. The 327 ran when it was taken out of the elcamino. The transmission has been rebuilt. The body has been gone through and ready to be put back on the car. My understanding is that all the body parts are there including the trim. It is missing the front windshield as far as the glass goes. I have not seen this car for a while and going off what I have been told.
    I am trying to use this forum to help determine the worth of the car as is to sale. I know I have been vague on the description. If you can help determine the value, I would appreciate it.

2. F&J

F&J

Pictures are needed. Is the body in finished paint, have new chrome, new interior pieces, etc? or has all of that not been done yet?

Sad to say that in these days, project cars and far worse yet, cars taken apart that much, have no demand unless it is a highly sought after car.

Next issue is that a car that is all apart cannot be shipped economically, so it will need to be a somewhat local buyer who is willing to deal with the headaches of removing/hauling it all. Many areas in the US are not doing well as far as blue collar wages/jobs, so your locations economy must be considered.

The biggest thing about a basket case project, is that the person that would be willing to tackle a car all apart, likely is a person that has very little money. A person with moderate funds will be looking for one that is not such a huge project.

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. phat rat

phat rat

Stock V8 from a 61 would be either 283" or 348" not 327

4. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

My 2 cents...
    I just looked it up on Hagerty Insurance site. The average value for that car, with 283 is $22,100.
    Bear in mind that's for a nice one...turn key and drive. Now work backwards. Start subtracting all the things it's missing, labor and parts, paint, interior to pay having it all put back together.
    I'm far from an expert...but I would say value as is...no pictures...not much.
    You'd have to find that one person working on a budget willing to take on a project like that. ($900-$1500???).

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Atwater Mike and warhorseracing like this.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where is it? Who did the body, a professional restoration type or "Hank's Body Shop" work? Ready to go back on the as-is frame or was the frame restored with new suspension and brakes? Was it just power washed and sprayed with Rustoleum or stripped and powdered? There's no replacement metal for El Caminos that I know of so any rust work was likely sectioned in, that in itself can make a 5-figure difference in value if it was just "body-shopped". "Ready for paint" is a term that's almost as abused as 'patina'. I agree, pictures giving the depth of what's required will net a very accurate estimate. You should consider partially assembling the car if for no reason other than making transport easier, and provide the prospective buyer with how things looked apart so they can make an informed decision. Oh yeah, where is it? If it's in Fairbanks, AK you're market is pretty limited.

6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I have 2, I would /may be interested in it. Can you send pic if i send Phone number. and where is it located.

saltflats likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

One with really nice paint and new chrome in packages and ready to reassemble and good options could easily be worth $10K+ but a hodge-podge repaint and some trim missing and other factors this could be a $1500 parts car and still match the description you're giving. You need to get way more details before an even close to accurate price estimate could be put on it.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just drew advice from some pretty knowledgeable folks who aren't blowing in the wind.
    Having owned one years ago rust in the floor boards was a big issue. If they are in great shape that is a plus.
    After that as they said what was done and the overall quality of the work that was done.
    Detailed photos of the work that was done.
    Receipts for body, paint and engine work. That's called documentation.
    Receipts for the new parts that he had for it.
    Quality detailed photos of it as it sits now. Photos of the majority of the parts and somewhat of a catalog list of the parts.
    Those are the things that will help sell it and hopefully bring a few more $$ in the process but It's still a 4000 lb puzzle that has to be assembled and it will take someone who knows those rigs pretty well to see the value.

9. Waste of time answering these people. You get no thanks for it.

10. I'd go $500 on it

11. Yep. One and done.

The OP has all the info he needs by post #4, and it’s not what he wanted to hear.

It’s sad when people die. When it’s one of us, we sure leave piles of junk for everyone to deal with.
    Other people hoard Lionel trains or porcelain dolls, we scatter the remains of a 59 Chevy in a garage filled with a lifetime of old tools and junk.

When my kids are sorting through my barn saying: “ what the “F” is all this crap? What the hell are we going to do with all this worthless junk? Does this thing here go with that old disassembled motorcycle over there, or does it go with the washing machine on it’s side in the back yard? What’s a ‘Jetaway’, why is it so heavy and why did he need three of them?“ , I will be up in the the sky chuckling, remembering all the poop on my hands changing their diapers, picking all their clothes up off the floor having to smell them to see if they are clean or dirty, washing the mountains of dishes they left for me to clean after I worked yet another 12 hour day, finding crayon drawings all over the walls behind curtains and furniture, and boogers smeared on the walls too, being dragged to the toy Isle for hours when we were just at the store to get dish soap...oh I will have the last laugh I assure you, I promise you that.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  12. Consider that you’re only buying a bunch of parts so use your own brain rather than picking ours.
    You’re asking a lot without providing pictures and a better description of something you haven’t seen in years.
    Done with my two cents worth!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

13. chopped

chopped

My bid, $750.00 delivered.

slv63 likes this.
  14. exterminator

exterminator

$780 delivered my bid,LOL.

slv63 likes this.
  15. bhemi

bhemi

Take the maximum pics allowed by ebay and start a no reserve auction lasting 3 weeks. Use a good camera and list every part you can. That's your best price. If the body work is crap it's a parts car.

olscrounger likes this.
  16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

:D:D:D

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Pics or nothing. And add a location.
    I'm one of those guys without much money, but lots more time. I'm always interested in another way to torture myself. If it were in my town, you might have a buyer.

18. 327Eric

327Eric

The value on these is all over the place, dependent upon location and condition. Trim is very valuable, and the completeness, or lack thereof will affect value. being in pieces hurts it. At best as described you might get 1500, but 800-900 might be more realistic .

19. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

59 El Caminos are desirable but we need photos and whereabouts! I'm always in the market so send me a pm!

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I feel as if we are being “used”, post a proper intro....

lothiandon1940 and bobss396 like this.
  21. phat rat

phat rat

All these answers are for naught. He posted that left and never came back

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

Most likely didn't get the answer he wanted.

23. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

The theme from JEOPARDY IS PLAYING AGAIN.............

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Get onto a Real Estate site..."How much is a 2 bedroom house worth?", out of the blue.
    Rude, if you ask me...

25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Add a location, exactly. Interested if in the west. You think they could a least state the little fact.

26. belair

belair

The guy is never coming back. Let this thing submerge.

lothiandon1940 and upspirate like this.
  27. All depends on is there a title?! , how’s the rust what all is missing trim wise?! Could be 500-5k depends on the person

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. chopped

chopped

First and last visit was the 11/30. He was so young and will be missed .

belair likes this.
  29. .......I think you meant 10/30.:rolleyes:

belair likes this.
  30. .................................Key word here is USE! As a rule, I hate these ridiculous, "What's my car worth?" threads.