Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's everyone using for edging on their soft roof fills?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChoppaScott, Nov 2, 2018.

1. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

2. F&J

F&J

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That style molding with the snap in vinyl trim bead was around a bit further back than that. It was widely marketed by trim shops and itinerant side molding guys who performed such services for car dealers. Maybe Mr Juliano developed it, maybe not. In any case, patents on that, if any, would have expired quite some time ago.

Aside from it's origins, it seems (to me) to be out place on a car of that era. The insert padding in the photo also seems a bit too thick. I'll admit I have no direct experience installing a top insert, though I have seen many of them over the decades. My opinion is based on those observations.

My inclination would be for a "T" shaped molding, rubber or vinyl most likely, but could be a formed aluminum piece. I can imagine the vertical part of the Tee being pressed into a slot between the padded insert and the adjacent metal roof. A similar type of molding is used on modern windshields to cover the gap between glass and body. You might inquire at a local glass shop and see what they have available to consider.

There may well be something more 'traditional' that other HAMBers can/will recommend.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I always thought the Julianos top looked a little “heavy”

5. I used a Juliano’s kit on the 32 Fordor I built. I’d use it again another project. You can use another thickness or density of foam if you want. I used a foam that was a little more dense and a hair less thick. I was really happy with how it came out.

6. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe even in stainless or aluminum, screwed down if necessary. A black car with black roof insert would look tidy with a polished stainless trim around it. I'm not sold on the thick, plastic edging though. Not sure how it would handle a few summer days either?

Agree with you guys who think the roof looks a bit pillowy. I've seen a few guys who use what looks like a waterproof canvas on their roof, like a convertible, and it looks really good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.