Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lake Style Headers and Texas State Inspection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tut Cruella, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Tut Cruella

Tut Cruella

Will Lake Style Headers pass Texas State Inspection on a 1929 Ford Sedan?

2. XXL__

XXL__

Google is your friend

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

Inspection/Rejection Criteria
    20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.

The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.

If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.

NOTE:

1. Inspection Procedure. The exhaust system shall be examined visually while the engine is running to determine efficiency of the system.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Vehicle is not equipped with a muffler.

b. Any joint is loose or leaking, including manifolds. Does not include minor leakage at exhaust control valve (manifold damper or heat riser valve).

c. Manifold is cracked or broken causing leakage.

d. Holes, leaking seams, or patches on the muffler, resonators, exhaust pipe, tailpipe, or catalytic converter.

e. Exhaust system is not secured to the vehicle by mounting brackets designed for exhaust systems (wire is not acceptable).

f. Any brackets are loose, broken, or missing.

g. There is excessive vibration of exhaust line.

h. Any part of the exhaust system passes through the passenger compartment.

i. The tailpipe is broken, pinched, or eroded off to the extent to allow exhaust fumes to penetrate into the interior of the passenger compartment.

j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

NOTE: Holes in the exhaust system made by the manufacturer for drainage are not cause for rejection. The tailpipe must direct the exhaust fumes out from under the passenger compartment.

Inspection of exhaust systems covers the discharge of exhaust fumes and is not concerned with the noise level.

3. Damn.....must be a work around somewhere.....do you drive it over 2000 miles a year ?

4. XXL__

XXL__

belair likes this.

5. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Ran em for years on my 31... just have some form of baffle in them and you will be fine. I'm down here in Harris county and the cops only gave me thumbs up and never was pulled over even if doing 20 over. Only folks who may give you issues is troopers, rest wont care.

belair likes this.
  6. belair

belair

As stated by XXL_ - if you run the antique pates, you are exempt from the inspection process, but not the restrictions about when and where you drive the car. On the other hand, most cops (except state troopers) don't know/care about old cars and lack of mufflers, unless you act like a moron, making a lot of noise with your (lack of) exhaust system. Aren't there some baffles that can be inserted, or can you have a by-pass and un-cap the headers for fun? And remember-you only get a rear license plate, so any cop who doesn't know the law about antique plates can/will stop you for only one plate. And the first thing he will want is proof of insurance-THAT is not exempt, so be aware. And then, if he finds out you are not driving the car according to the regs that go with the plate, your day has just started to really suck. Last of all just because you don't have to have mufflers doesn't mean you can't get dinged for something to do with excessive noise or disturbing the peace. Then it's "Here-file this under C.S."

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  7. Tut Cruella

Tut Cruella

Thanks XXL. My 1929 Rat Rod is registered as a Classic Auto as I wanted to run it anywhere/anytime. I do have proof of insurance too. If I bought the headers, I would get the baffles and turnouts. I've been "told" that the exhaust must exit past the passenger compartment. However, Under Section 2. Inspect for and reject if: j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The Lake Style Headers would of course discharge to the side, but not past the passenger compartment. j. does not specifically say anything about discharging exhaust "past the passenger compartment", so.......I am interpreting this statement that I might be OK?!? I'm glad to see Stubbsrodandcustom didn't have any issues in Harris County. I'm here in Williamson County and hoping I too, would not have a problem.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. tjm73

tjm73

Build cheap "inspection headers" swap them out for what you want after you pass.

Gavin Tittle likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Looks to me like the Lake style headers will pass as long as they are baffled.

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

That article 2 only applies to modern production vehicles(anything post 1984 i think), just like safety equipment on modern cars. In 1929 etc had 2 headlights, horn and one tail light with no stop light. Basically to get your car legal, its EXEMPT from everything but what it had to have in 19??.....2 headlights and 1 tail light and some sort of horn. You are over-complicating something that the inspector will look at, probably wont even touch, get your vin verification done/saftey inspection, register it and drive the hell out of it.

The above guy is right, the only thing they may screw with you on is disturbing the peace or violating noise ordinance. Cheap ticket and is'nt a moving violation either.

PS some of the guys here fly off the handle with the R_ _ Rod reference....... Something I learned the hard way......

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can't figure out how to put a baffle in them to run through inspection you aren't thinking very well. A rolled up piece of hardware cloth and something to hold it in works pretty good.
    The exits past the passenger compartment thing is the real deal of what you are up against as some may think that getting the exhaust out in the air stream is good enough while others may be hard core in having it exit behind the actual passenger compartment. A turn out tip on the megs might help the argument there as it directs the exhaust away from the passenger compartment.
    I think they have eased up a bit since the 70's when I lived there and most inspectors wouldn't pass a car that that had the exhaust exit the side in front of the rear tire. I saw a number of those damned fools with late 60's early 70's super cars that ran header mufflers or turbos with the exhaust dumping in front of the axle under the car that was a fad then cry as they had to go back and put real tail pipes on the car to pass inspection.

By the way do you wear orange, yellow or lime green ear plugs when you drive the car?

13. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Antique plates = no inspection
    Open headers + not getting caught driving like a dumbass = no problems
    26 Roadster rear 2.jpg

missysdad1 likes this.
  14. missysdad1

missysdad1

The key here is "not driving like a dumbass". Just a quick history lesson: Many of us here on the HAMB are veteran hot rodders who experienced much anti-hot rod sentiment in the past. We have worked very hard to make sure our cars and our driving habits are respectable and do not endanger or annoy the general public. I trust that even those like the OP who call their cars "rat rods" will respect all the hard work us old timers put in making our sport acceptable and even admired by the public and by law enforcement as well.