Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another what is it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'm thinking of buying this stuff to resell but I haven't got a clue what it is worth. 1930 ford A sedan 2 door, car was running, all stock. Guy that has it is pulling the eng, 4 cyl, trans, rear end, and the wheels and tires. It has brand new tires and the wheels looked like they've been sand blasted and painted red, even the spare and it is new. There will be more stuff he won't use but these are the main items. I'd like to make him an offer on all of it, he's done pulled the fenders, running boards, they have some rust and damage but are useable considering how hard this stuff is to find. Don't know if he is going to run a hood, but he got 2 with this car. He will end up getting rid of it for 1/2 what it is worth and I'd like to get it before he does.

2. If you don't have a clue to what its value is, do you really think you need to be buying stuff to resell? I would stick to stuff I was familiar with if I were you. My 2¢

3. Pictures would sure help. I am not sure what you are trying to say. I also agree with post #2, stick with what you know. Buy good Karma by turning someone else onto it.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  4. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Offer $987.38, not a penny more.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

5. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

I must agree with the $987.38 that is a more than fair offer

Latigo, clem and flatford39 like this.
  6. So give us a clue....what are you buying ?

flatford39 likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Iron is tough to sell unless there are a lot of Model A guys within an hours drive, most don't like spending money. Forget about internet sales and the added cost of shipping. Know what you are buying is Rule #1. Bob

flatford39 likes this.
  8. BJR

BJR

So you want our help, so you can make a profit.

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

10. RonaldR

RonaldR

Contact Mike and Frank.

11. Based on recent auctions, motors sold for $100, junky fenders I bought four rears for two dollars. Not each, for all four. Wheels you usually can't give away either, but if they're straight and nice with new tires they're at least worth the value of the tires.

ROCKER77 likes this.
  12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have to agree. Don't buy what you don't know about.

13. Have you checked the date codes on the tires? They could look great but be ready for the trash. Red wheels look great, on the correct vehicle.

Charlie Stephens

14. clem

clem

If you don’t know, ask the seller what he wants for it.
    If he is really going to sell it for half of what it is worth, offer double that amount to be fair to both.
    Easy really !

15. 5window

5window

One has to ask, if that stuff is so easy to sell, why is the owner willing to sell it for half?

16. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

A guy buys an all original 30 A that's running, and in a moment of brilliance disassembles it.
    Then "He will end up getting rid of it for 1/2 what it is worth and I'd like to get it before he does."
    Rid of "it"..."it" I assume are the removed parts, so he can put a scb/700r4/9" in it.
    If he gets half of what "it's" worth, half of $987.38 is $493.69 which is a generous half, or you could split the difference.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

ROCKER77 likes this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

I just recently sold an A 4 banger engine that turned over, along with 2 transmissions and a big crate of extra engine related parts (although missing an exhaust manifold) for $250. The complete one, if it runs good and if you can start it up for an interested party, might bring a bit more, 3 or 4 hundred with the trans. Model A rearend is pretty worthless, if you hold out long enough you can probably get $50. 19" wheels, if they're really fresh tires and just recently repainted and a matching set of 5, might bring $500 if the tires are wide whites, maybe $300 if they're blackwalls. A really super nice clean hood can bring $200 on eBay but you didn't say if that was included or not.

Plan on sitting on most of this stuff for a while before a buyer comes along if you want to get good money. This stuff will most likely not sell off within a week or two. If I were buying it to resell, I would offer $300-$500 for all of it, depending on what kind of tires they are and if the hood is included. Anything more than that and it might take forever just to recoup your original investment. If the engine smokes or knocks, if the tires are dry cracked, if the hood is rusty, those are deal-breakers that would cut the value way down.