Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods More Problems With My Crate Engine ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Aug 17, 2018.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.We are all waiting with baited breath.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I wanted to run early non vented Corvette valve covers with the early front oil fill manifold. In order to do this we need to install the pcv valve in the intake between the carb and distributor. My motor man machined the hole in the intake, installed a plain grommet and stuck the pcv in the grommet and ran the hose to the front carb port. What happened is the pcv was sucking the oil directly out of the out of the lifter galley with no restriction. We found a baffled pcv grommet at Speedway that fit both the hole in the manifold and the pcv valve and the oil consumption stopped. As for the first problem of heating, with the removal of the ZIPS riser and going back to a good quality short pump, adding a Cooling Components Fan and moving the temp sender from the right rear of the block into the intake it no longer runs hot. Stays about 180 to 185 on the road and goes to 200 in stop and go traffic. Just took some time to sort this all out.

3. Rich S.

Rich S.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Glad to hear you have some closure on the subject. Does the oil fill tube have a push on breather for air intake, or just sealed with oil fill cap? How much smaller diameter fan was needed to clear lower radiator hose?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Roadsir

Roadsir

Fought that similar problems years ago on a 350. Played with port locations for the PCV, types of PCV valves, making sure the valve covers were baffled, but was surprised at how much oil it was pulling.
    Glad you have it sorted out.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Front oil filler tube has a vented push on cap.The Cooling Components fan is a 16 inch shrouded electric 2 speed fan and is on the upper half of the radiator.

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Thanks for bringing this up to the surface. All this time I though you were using mech fan. Now the only thing you will need to worry is wearing out tires, and cleaning bugs off the grill. Go have fun!

8. A baffled Speedway grommet, eh? I'll have to look into that for my Pontiac engine although I'm having no oil problems except a leaky "rope" rear main seal.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Big Deuce: I started out with a 15 inch mechanical 6 blade fan and shroud but on this installation it wasn't doing the job? This is the only deuce out of 5 I have an electric fan on. I can't explain it?????

big duece and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Glad it's fixed, but I still wonder why the Zip's didn't work out for you. My engine has a Zip's and since it's in an "A" body with a chopped '32 grill shell my radiator is about 2" shorter than yours and runs quite normal temps.

wackdaddy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Glad it's sorted. Kinda makes us appreciate how "reasonably" efficient the old vented oil fill tube and road draft tube actually were.:)

wraymen likes this.
  12. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

As for the higher coolant temperature at idle. Are you running vacuum advance connected to manifold vacuum or ported? I had a friends street rod that would run 240 at idle. Adding 12* vacuum advance connected to manifold lowered the temperature considerably.

AHotRod and big duece like this.
  13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

We've sorted out the vacuum advance thing. As a side note, I have the Zips setup on my deuce pu and it works fine. I have no idea why it wouldn't work on the coupe????

14. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

15. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Whew! I can sleep well tonight knowing the solution...thanks for the followup!

16. Speed~On

Speed~On

Great to see your problems have been resolved.
    These are GREAT engines. GM sells literally thousands upon thousands of these. It's incredibly rare for one to have a problem with the internals. You have a great engine that will give you years and years of reliable service.
    Just an FYI....they LOVE a lot of timing.

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Big Deuce I tried a Flow Cooler pump, didn't help??

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you do all of the cooling system changes at once, or one at a time? Just moving the temp sender may well have "solved" your overheating problem.

big duece likes this.
  19. Speed~On

Speed~On

I have this very engine, it's outstanding. I'm running a mechanical fan off the front of the water pump and I fabed a fan shroud. I use a Stant 180 ° thermostat. The engine runs around 180° consistently. Once, at Back To The 50's it was a very hot weekend with temps in the 90's and a lot of humidity. As I sat in traffic for a considerable amount of time it only crept up to 198°. Mine has never overheated and has never had a cooling issue.

Now that you have solved your initial set up problem, you're on easy street. Just drve it and enjoy. You're really gonna like it!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018