Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Car Chemistry Collector Mufflers (Info Needed)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Eric Satterfield, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I am currently redoing the rear suspension on my 32...The exhaust currently on the car will not be able to be reused. I was considering these for simplicity but could not find many sound clips for this product Has anyone used these and if so how honestly loud are they for street use...Thank You!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cci-ftd3035c/overview/

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

If they dead end right after the collector and under the car, at best they will drive you crazy!
    Did you read the review on the Summit web sit (LOUD).
    KK

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I did..But the reviewer said he had planned to install what I thought was another disc/baffle recommended by the manufacturer or Is that perhaps another large slip in baffle...Looks like a trip to the exhaust shop....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

I used the older insert style in a 3.5" collector w/ various restrictive baffles for the small diameter
    section. They are loud and restrictive but allow me to occasionally test the car on the street. They have
    a completely "open tone" but just a bit quieter. They would very annoying for any kind of street cruising.

5. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I kind of figured that would be the case....Just trying to come up with another option other than loading the car on a trailer and hauling it 30 miles away to the nearest pipe bending shop...I only have Mondays off and you never know what the forecast is from day to day let alone week to week around this area...

6. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

I have used them in an non Hamb friendly Prostreet Big block Nova that had Hooker Aerochamber mufflers and is really loud on the street, and had to yell to the passenger to talk. They are a good made product.

In that application, they slid in the 3 1/2 collector and I did not use any packing. The exhaust was reinstalled, that was made removable for drag racing. The exhaust exits in front of the rear end. It did quiet it down quite a bit and made it more street friendly.

The downside to the Nova was, at the drag strip running through the exhaust without the baffles, the car would run a 10.60 quarter. With the exhaust and the baffles installed it ran a 11.40 quarter.
    They really killed the top end, but I never really new it on the street. The best ET with open headers is a 10.53 quarter.

The car I am currently building is a Flathead powered 32 Ford Coupe. With my rear suspension setup, there just isn't anywhere to run exhaust under the car so I chose to run Sanderson Lake type headers.
    With the engine on the test stand and the headers open, its just plain too loud, so I got their baffle kit and set them up with 2 baffle discs and also fiberglass packing they supply and it quieted it down a lot. It sounds good on the test stand. I am not sure if I will add the 3rd disc baffle until the engine is in the car and driving, as the Lake headers exit right by the doors and it may still be too loud. We will see.

Hope this helps.

Bill

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Patriot exhaust auger helps a lot. Available from Summit also. Add it before your turn out...

8. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Initially installed their inserts in each individual runner, similar in construction, just smaller. Way above legal limit for the street. I then added the turnout shown above, still too loud, especially coming out by the door. I eventually scrapped the whole thing and installed Porter mufflers, a great sound and what I believe is very little restriction. Cutouts give me no exhaust if that's what I want.

Warren

9. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I’m installing P&J ladder bars and with them so close together at the front will eliminate the current side by side mounted flowmasters. I am renting a lift space at a local shop and I am trying to plan ahead on the exhaust fix once the suspension work is done as I would like to drive it home. Open headers aren’t an option in this hick area with the local PD . I don’t really care for the side pipe look so maybe I can run some straight through glass packs outside of each ladder bar and dump them at the axle. More possibilities can be explored once the mounting cross member is in its permanent place. Thanks for the input

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Use these auger style baffles in the collector, they sound great with minimal back pressure and reduce the exhaust volume about 10db, which is just about right for street use. Quiet enough to keep you out of trouble with the law, but loud enough to satisfy the need to hear it well. Nice tone too. They are available in 3" and 3.5" sizes.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...6lfiX88q3kAMO6dHikeR2u6mea9nBl_UaAtPeEALw_wcB

11. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Thank You for the info

12. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I bought 4 of the auger type, trying 1 on each side, if that's to loud I'll go with 2. A friend has a sbc in his 30 A, sprint style headers extended back to the rear tie, 1 on each side sounds good.

13. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I recently had the sprint style headers on mine jet coated. Do the auger baffles have to be welded inside the collector? I am thinking maybe the baffles and the Car Chemistry turnouts for a finished look.

14. IMG_20171014_080910825.jpg
    One in the collector, one in the side pipe. Still loud!

15. these baffles were on an off topic car i painted. the motor was a 302 built for high rpm's. these ended right behind the door, and really were not that loud. DSCF0003.JPG

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

17. RMONTY

RMONTY

Isn't that car supposed to be loud? :cool:

chevy57dude likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg The auger style I welded, but there are other inserts from Summit u can pop rivet in. I have a set of those just before the exhaust tips on my 2018 F150 duals. Helps take out the drone.

19. The augers are definitely restrictive, I had a set inside straight pipe on my t-bucket, I decided to change things up and took some old glass packs I was using in another project, cut them in half, took out all the guts. The guts consisted of a perforated pipe wrapped in fiberglass, then welded in the auger, welded them back together and when fired up the factory paint burned off the outside of the muffler. Now I had been running these with no problems before, but that auger restricted the flow so much that it built up heat to the point of burning that paint off.

20. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Wondered how restrictive they were. When I bought my 28, it had a Buick 430 in it with lake style headers. They cut most of the outer housing of a glass pack and put it up in the collector, it was held in by 1 screw on the back side. It was a lot quieter than I thought it would be.