Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My way to pull a model A body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Mo rust

Mo rust

I bought a little trailer to haul Model A bodies home and to and from the sand blaster. I found a mast type hydraulic lift that rotates on a piece of pipe so I set up my trailer to be able to accommodate the lift from either side when I need to move a body or something else heavy.
    Now I can pull bodies out the barn and into my workshop with the trailer hooked to my mower.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Looks like it will work with a Deuce also. HRP

3. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

4. Mo rust

Mo rust

Yes, we've lifted lots to 28 thru 36 bodies this way. Now we have a way to swing them around and drop them on a trailer.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nice setup. I've seen cherry picker's mounted on pickup beds, however it looks as though the lowboy trailer has the height advantage of being able to back it into a garage and do the lifting/lowering tasks while clearing the rafters.
    It's a great setup to go buy/pick up, and transport heavy items like engine/trans and heavy tools/machinery such as a sheet metal brake, etc.. Though I imagine you'd have to first stack some counter weighting on the trailer to keep it from flopping over when you swing the load around the side?

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A very useful tool indeed. That would of been the cats meow to go wrecking yard picking when there was stuff worth wanting.

7. As long as the weather cooperates ....

Jim

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

My brother put one of those cherry pickers on the back of his old Toyota pickup. All it did when you tried to pick something up,was to lowered the back of his truck. With a light weight trailer, I would have thought that this would not work.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

At least the doors off. Not like the 32 my girlfriend has. :mad:

10. Mo rust

Mo rust

I’ve picked up a couple bodies with this just hooked to my lawn mower with no problem yet. I think I would have an issue if I tried to extend the boom much more than I do but if I did it would be too far when setting the body in the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

You could always make an outrigger with a trailer jack that cranked down to the ground at the base of the lift to support a pick if it was an issue. Think boom truck or truck crane outrigger. Maybe put a receiver tube on the trailer that would accept such a contraption.

I need something like this for fetching random car parts with my car hauler. Good idea!