Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Corvette Blue Flame 6 Induction, value and interest.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A friend of mine has had this unit for 35 years. Have any of you ran / tuned one of these ? I am told it fits 235-261, , any thoughts on value ? It would look good on a hotrod. DW 1.JPG DW2.JPG DW5.JPG

2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Sold one 35+ yrs. Ago for 375.-400. as a kid early teens, Sold it at Dunkirk swap meet, I had no air filter's, I gave my grandfather 75. For it..

3. Google it it’s worth a fair bit

I had an exhaust manifold and carbs , no intake or anything else and sold the manifold and 3 carbs for $1500 bucks

I have been told the carbs are problematic and hard to keep in tune, but it sure looks great on an inliner

4. oldolds

oldolds

They are a pain in the but to get to run right. Most Corvettes I ever drove with them were way over fueled. I do not know if they were designed that way or were just flooding over. But they sure look good!

5. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Been running the 3 Larry, Curly & Moe for 17/18 years in our '54 Bel Air, problems flooded twice!!! Raise the float level a bit and run 5lbs or less fuel pressure with a quality regulator. My 235 is 100,000+ mile stocker, the intake brings better low & mid torque and adds road speed. With this worn engine and current C.R 5-speed & 4.10 gear set, and driving with the traffic speed got 22 MPG. A sad condition one is on Ebay and seller asking $2300.00 I'm finding that "Stovebolt" fans tend to bit tightwad, as complete and nice as this set up appears, a realistic number is in the $1500/1800.00 range. Now if this were a flathead 3 carb intake, those guys would throw their wallets in the air... GOOD Luck, dyno dave

6. carbking

carbking

The "problem with the carbs" is generally a problem with the shop or the owner.

Carter designed the YH carbs to use a small orificed fuel valve that was spring-loaded. The same valve is physically the same size as the fuel valve used on the Ford 300 CID. The valve for the Ford is NOT spring-loaded, and the orifice is significantly larger. The FLAPS kits use the incorrect valve. Also, the bowl cover gasket in the FLAPS kits is for generation 3 and generation 4 YH's. The Corvette YH's are generation 1 - incorrect gasket.

Using 3 valves that each will fuel a 300 CID on a 235 can lead to flooding issues.

Not the carburetor's fault if the shop is too ignorant or the owner is too cheap to buy the correct parts.

Jon.

6inarow, F&J, 302GMC and 3 others like this.
  7. Tell em Jon!

Ben

8. carbking

carbking

Ben -

My post was an attempt to provide information and understanding. I probably should have omitted the last sentence. However, with social media being what it is; if no counter is offered when an urban legend is posted, then the legend becomes "fact". Too many parrots.

The folks with Jeeps with YF's or Chevrolets with the aftermarket YF's run into the same issue. The FLAPS kits are designed to sell as cheaply as possible. There simply is little demand for the much more expensive to manufacture spring-loaded valves, and the valves for the Ford YF's are quite common, and inexpensive.

OK, will now get off my soap box, have another cup of coffee, and calm down. ;)

Jon.

6inarow, F&J and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Exceptional post, Jon! My mentor thru my apprenticeship termed this "Mechanic Failure".
    So many times the opening up of a 'just rebuilt' carburetor revealed a 'snail trail' of errors.

F&J likes this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks for the informative posts, it sounds like Jon and Dave have figured out how to make it a viable setup.

F&J likes this.