Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Running hood tops only, 4 piece pre war hoods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, I am planning to do this on the 36 pickup. I want a bunch of louvers and no side panels.

How do you latch them? This has always made me scratch my head. You using nut plates? I found an article online that has one method, not sue if I will use this or not, but it's a start. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/making-hot-rod-half-hood/

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 10.58.52 PM.png

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Anyone?

Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some use Dzus fasteners, leather straps tied down to the frame...Those pins they use are kind of neat.

On an interesting side note one of the fellas in that Hotrod article pic with the pins is J. Fishbeck a Hamber with that Stan Back Roadster...

4. I like the hood belts on the older hood (A's and T's), but the '36 I would use a rod. Simple gate style latch would work also.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    GordonC likes this.
  6. millersgarage

millersgarage

I used the hood hinge area, and made a spring loaded slide, then went into some mounts I made on the firewall and grille shell in my Model A.
    Sorry no photos.
    Look at the photo on the post above, see the rod thru the loops? I tap'd and put a screw into the rod, and then a spring pushing against the screw from the hoop. The screw was the "pull" to open the hood.
    Never failed, even on the dragstrip.

Roothawg, 3340 and Stogy like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

They have spring loaded gate and door catches plus slide closures at farm supply and hardware stores that you might take a look-see at . Maybe find a couple of smaller ones that you can hide better. Fab a tab for them to catch on and your golden.

Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  8. A Boner

A Boner

Attach to the center hinge using stock hardware. Take a proper length bungee cord and shape the hook ends to a slightly over bent "L" shape. Insert the "L" shaped ends into the stock side panel hinge holes. Insert from front, facing rear. Don't make cord too tight.