Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Who Was That Named After?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Oscar Ulysses Zerk, he had a whole bunch of patents but that one made him some real money. It wasn't the first greasable fitting but it was an improved design and worked good, and is still used even today.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. GuyW

GuyW

Huh? that sounds backwards to my experience....I'd never heard of a Presta valve until I was stuck with 2 on my mountain bike, and it takes a special adapter if you want to air up with an air hose for Schrader valves....

nochop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. GuyW

GuyW

Cotter pin? Had an acquaintance who insisted upon calling it a "carter" pin...

Bandit Billy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep, hate those Presta valves, drilled out a few rims for Schraders.

I thought maybe Elle MacPherson invented the MacPherson strut but turns out it was Earle MacPherson, an American engineer. Although I'm sure Elle is responsible for a few stiff ones. :cool:

Pretty intetesting:
    Earle S. MacPherson was appointed the chief engineer of Chevrolet's Light Car project in 1945, to develop new smaller cars for the immediate post-war market. This gave rise to the Chevrolet Cadet. By 1946 three prototypes of the Cadet design had been produced. These incorporated the first MacPherson strut independent suspension both in front and rear.[1] The Cadet project was cancelled in 1947 and the disgruntled MacPherson was enticed to join Ford. Patents were filed in 1947 (U.S. Patent 2,624,592 for GM)[2] and in 1949 (U.S. Patent 2,660,449 for Ford),[3] the 1949 patent[4] citing designs by Guido Fornaca of FIAT in the mid-1920s.[5][6] The strut suspension of the pre-war Stout Scarabcould have been an influence and long-travel struts in aircraft landing gear were well-known by this time.[citation needed] French Cottin-Desgouttes utilized a similar design, albeit with less sophisticated leaf springs,[7][8]however the Cottin-Desgouttes front suspension was in turn inspired by American engineer J. Walter Christie's 1904 design.[9][10]

MacPherson designed the strut for all four wheels, but it is normally used for the front suspension only, where it provides a steeringpivot as well as a suspension mounting for the wheel.

The first production car to use MacPherson struts is often listed incorrectly as the French 1949 Ford Vedette,[11][12] but it was developed before MacPherson with an independent front suspension based on wishbones and an upper coil spring.[13] Only in 1954, after the Vedette factory had been purchased by Simca, did the revised Simca Vedette switch to using front struts.[13]

Following MacPherson's arrival at Ford, the first production car to feature MacPherson struts was the British-built 1950 Ford Consuland later Zephyr.

deucemac, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Steering wheel spinner knobs are also known as "suicide", "necker" and "Brodie" knobs (often misspelled as Brody). This post gets into the 'slang name' rather than the 'official name'. So "Brodie Knob" because............

“ ... well, Brodie came from a guy name of Steve Brodie, who jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge in the 1880s and lived. He became a New York local hero complete with a manager, sold pix of himself, etc. Never paid for another drink, they say, because of his fame. Brodie became a catchphrase for any kind of slide, skid, fall, train wreck, etc. that had an element of danger. Like Johnny said in The Wild One when he got hit with a thrown wrench, "I did a big Brodie and everything went black", or something like that.

Brodie was a tail end out, power turn of at least 180° or more when I was a kid in the 50’s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Brodie_(bridge_jumper)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  6. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I had heard of "Long" and "Borg & beck" type clutches. Just recently I discovered that the "Long" was a brand name, built by the "Long Manufacturing Co."

Stogy, blowby and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. 55driver

55driver

AC spark plugs, invented by Arthur Champion who later made Champion spark plugs.

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yikes

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

In 1898, Henry Timken obtained a patent for the tapered roller bearing, and in 1899 incorporated as The Timken Roller Bearing Axle Company in St. Louis. In 1901, the company moved to Canton, Ohio, as the automobile industry began to overtake the carriage industry.

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Hall effect = Edwin Hall

11. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Thomas Crapper is far enough south?

ROCKER77 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. dan31

dan31

^^^ And so it begins.

chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  13. greybeard360

greybeard360

His name was Albert Champion.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Truck64 like this.
  14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

DeDion - Bouton used it on their steam remorquers (trucks) . The firm was a partnership of DeDion, Bouton and Trepardoux. M. Trepardoux did not agree with changing from steam to gasoline vehicles, so he took the steam part of the business and DeDion-Bouton went on making gasoline vehicles. They were one of the oldest car companies, founded in Paris in the 1880s and mass producing vehicles in the 1890s when Ford, Olds, etc were still trying to figure out how to make a car that ran.

chryslerfan55, blowby and Stogy like this.
  15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Auto air conditioning was invented by 3 guys named Hy, Norm and Max which is why their names were on all air conditioners for years.

16. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

j hansen likes this.
  17. I really hope you forgot the smiley face at the end of that....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and dan31 like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holley Carburetor

Brothers George (1878-1963) and Earl Holley

Quoted..."Their first original carburetor, called the iron pot, appeared on the curved-dash Oldsmobile in 1904." In April 1905 Holley Brothers Company was established with an address at 661-75 Beaubien St., Detroit, Michigan. The brothers then concentrated on the manufacturing of carburetors and ignition systems. As a result of the Motorette Henry Ford commissioned the brothers to produce a carburetor for his Model T. "The carburetor they built for Ford was an immediate success and the brothers founded Holley Carburetor Co., which became one of Ford's biggest suppliers."

220px-Holley_Brothers_Co_advert_in_Automobile_Trade_Journal_1916.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holley_Performance_Products

19. Earle S. MacPherson is the inventor.
    MacPherson struts and coil-overs are 2 very different things

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55, blowby and The37Kid like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and blowby like this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dzus fastners: William Dzus.

blowby and Stogy like this.
  23. deucemac

deucemac

Actually Champion spark plugs came first. Albert Champion sold the company. William C. Durant hired Champion to develope spark plugs for GM. Albert wanted to use his name on the plugs but couldn't because it was trademarked and no longer available. Thus he and Durant used his initials instead to denote the new GM spark plug. Durant also hired Charles Kettering for his electrical knowledge. Durant had to buy Kettering's company also. The Dayton Electric Company. They then shortened it to DELCO and had AC/Delco division of GM.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    chryslerfan55, GraeffSS and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is interesting as I believe that despite descriptions of autos as "she" and "It has sexy lines and cuvres" it is very rare to have a part named in reference to a Womans Attributes while using her name as a clever cover.

I Hung around with a few fellas with 57 Chevs and there was a more direct Lady part reference to the Rubber Bullets on the Front Bumpers and it wasn't Dagmars...:D

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/desi...ok-at-their-origins-development-and-namesake/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagmar_bumpers

anthony myrick and blowby like this.
  25. Terrible80

Terrible80

Rich S. and blowby like this.
  26. scotts52

scotts52

Stogy and blowby like this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I call parts of my heap by female anatomy quite often, nothing to do with the inventor however.

Been wondering about Appletons and Barden bumpers, haven't found anything.

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is Appleton spotlamps from the 20's but I believe these being a 1949 design fit the Custom Period better.

Quoted;

"June 2, 1953 N, A, TORNBLOM 2,640,912

DOUBLE BEAM AUTOMOTIVE SPOTLIGHT Filed July 8l 1949 Patented June 2, 1953 DOUBLE BEAM AUTOMOTIVE SPOTLIGHT Nils A. Tornblom, Chicago, Ill., assignor to Appleton Electric Company, Chicago, Ill., a corporation of Illinois Application July 8, 1949, Serial No. 103,706"

US2640912-0.png

https://patents.google.com/patent/U...9550101&after=priority:19470101&patents=false