Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hemi flywheel bolts ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Oct 19, 2018.

1. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

My 354 crank is tapped for 1/2 unf bolts. How tight do these need to be? I found the torque specs for everything else but not the flywheel bolts.

2. You won't find spec's for them being in stock form the Crank was never tapped. The converter and flywheels had studs in them that were 7/16" and nuts went on the inside side of the flange to them. They were a PIA! I generally torque Ford 1/2" fine flywheel bolts to 65 ft lbs and so far on the few Hemi's I've done have not had any issues using the same torque spec.
    The Wizzard

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Woa! I stand corrected. make that 85 Ft lbs.

deucemac, Deuces and squirrel like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

65 is good for 7/16"

5. Your right Jim, that's what confused me on the Key board. When I his post I knew it was wrong.

6. Ever wonder how they got a Torque Wrench up in that tight little space?

7. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Thanks for that. I tapped the threads because I didn,t fancy fiddling with nuts & bolts.

8. speed v8

speed v8

65 is just fine

9. That's pretty standard practice when doing new gen trans up grade.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

The early hemi crank flange is not as thick as a 1/2 nut less threads than a Ford I have used 55 and star washers. Make sure bolts have a shoulder if a manual flywheel

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pontiac flywheel cap screws are 1/2 fine and have shoulders. I use them on my GMC 6's. depending on the pressure plate the heads may need grinding. I by the Pioneer replacements and never have had a problem with them.

Hnstray and gimpyshotrods like this.