Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Firewall Grommets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gatz, Oct 17, 2018.

1. gatz

gatz

Have any of you made your own Grommets for wiring, etc through a firewall ?
    Molded silicone or polyurethane?
    These 2 from the '40 Chrysler are slightly used and I'd like to make new ones. IDK if repops are being made...can't seem to find any.

Grommet Firewall Emerg Cable & Oval.JPG

The one on the left is for hand throttle, choke and something else (CRS).
    The one on the right is for the emergency brake cable; the hole is at an angle; maybe 45º
    The main wiring bundle is to the left of these (driver's view) and may need replacement as well.

If anyone has ideas, I'd like to hear.

Thanks
    gatz

Stogy likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Stogy and bobss396 like this.
  3. Have you looked at what Steele Rubber has to offer,the link is to 40 Chrysler but look at the other GM rubbers also, there may be something similar. HRP

Steele

4. Mc Master and Carr

Stogy likes this.

5. Nice find.. Steele has a lot of great stuff. I needed new grommets on my Ford firewall, so I ganged a few of them up on an aluminum-sheet plate which I pop-riveted to the firewall.

6. BJR

BJR

I have made them from a 3/8" sheet rubber, a hole saw, and a hack saw and grinder to round over the edges. Drill or cut out the outside diameter with the hole saw or hack saw first, then use a smaller hole saw for the inside diameter. Cut the slot in the outside diameter with a hack saw, then round over the outside edges with a bench grinder. This mainly works for the bigger round or big odd shaped grommets with multiple holes in them.

squirrel likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A good parts store, Kantor Brothers, maybe home Depot/Lowe's might have them in electrical department.

Stogy likes this.
  8. oldsman41

oldsman41

Really i try not to run any wire through the firewall. Steele rubber is where i get the stuff i use. Usually go out right next to the dimmer switch or the bottom of the steering column, put a boot around column and its almost invisible.

Stogy likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm using one of those Mopar firewall grommet things on my T coupe for my choke cable, heater control cable and speedo cable. Just a great piece, wish someone would reproduce them. I'm still using the original 70 year old rubber. IMG_1139.JPG

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  10. 4woody

4woody

11. BJR

BJR

Those are very easy to make from sheet stock.

12. 24riverview

24riverview

13. lowrd

lowrd

I was wondering if you could use Sugru epoxy for some of the out of sight wires/cables. The stuff is supposed to remain flexible and is waterproof.

14. goldmountain

goldmountain