Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Master cylinder advice.....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chopped51, Oct 16, 2018.

1. I'm going to swap out my master cylinder (Speedway unit) As I built the car a few years ago I don't remember the bore size. Looking for some opinions on what to get. It's a drum/drum system. 9" rear and non bendix front. 20160802_162859.jpg
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Rich B. likes this.
  2. Any chance you could get a picture of the master cylinder you have now?

Charlie Stephens

3. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

If you’re looking for a dual chamber master cylinder I’ve had good luck with a master for a ‘68 Mustang with four wheel drum brakes.

seb fontana likes this.
  4. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

From Speedway then it's most likely a Ford type of a 1 inch bore. Look at what in the car and look at Speedway's internet catalog or even their catalog and match it.

5. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

they arent that hard to rebuild.. then you dont have to change any architecture.
    but if you want something that might be an upgrade. thats a different story.
    ive always had good luck with Mopar manual drum/drum .. somewhere i read it has a larger feed hole orifice? and is supposed to give better pedal feel?
    ive been happy with the few ive used...
    but its a 4 bolt flange.
    while your at it look for a rubber boot to cover the piston rod.. it keeps it from rusting up the exposed end of the master cyl sleeve. since its apart now is the time to source one and put one on.
    best of luck

6. Cheapstreet, good point. I never even thought about rebuilding it. I'll pull it out in the next couple weeks and take a look at it.
    Thanks guys.

7. I have a relatively new Speedway Ford dual master that now leaks, talked to their techie online and he said to give them a call, they may make good on it. How old is yours? If they still make it, get another.

8. I think mine is 4 years old. I believe there is something wrong with the internals. It will randomly "pedal to the floor and not return" not a good feeling. All four corners are new. Only the master left........

9. Probably bypassing internally.

10. I called Speedway on it today, obviously it's well past warranty. But they're willing to replace it at a reduced price. Can't ask for any more than that.

46international and bobss396 like this.
  11. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Badass looking coupe.

12. WOW, got that right. good to see them stand behind a product.

13. Just got the replacement M/C on friday. Great service.